Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been on ATT for about 9 months with my Treo 600. I called cingular today and was told that I would have to buy a new phone if I wanted to switch to a cingular plan.

They said the reason was that cingular uses different SIM cards than ATT.

It was complete choas, I spent two hours on the phone and was transferred way too many times.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar1zona1
    I have been on ATT for about 9 months with my Treo 600. I called cingular today and was told that I would have to buy a new phone if I wanted to switch to a cingular plan.

It was complete choas, I spent two hours on the phone and was transferred way too many times.

what? pm message me with a name email address and I will have someone contact you with some brains.
    you don't have to listen to them
    if you have a unlocked treo, simply put the cingular SIM, configuration is another story
    or simply unlock your treo, still required to change the configuration if you want to use on cingular
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    you don't have to listen to them
    if you have a unlocked treo, simply put the cingular SIM, configuration is another story
    or simply unlock your treo, still required to change the configuration if you want to use on cingular
    I'm in the same place, and I'm hoping this is the right answer. I have an unbranded GSM, so I'm assuming I'm OK. If you bought the Treo from AT&T, it's locked, so you'll need to unlock it before you can use the cingular sim. Then all you need to do is sign up for a plan that gives you a free phone. Take the SIM out of that phone, and put it into your Treo.

I'm hoping to switch to get their $20 data/SMS package
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  5. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I bought my Treo through AT&T and had it replaced with a refurbished model. How can I tell if the new unit is locked?

I was planning on waiting until the 650 comes available on Cingular and then seeing if I could switch over to a Cingular plan and get a decent deal on a 650 if I sign a new contract.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I bought my Treo through AT&T and had it replaced with a refurbished model. How can I tell if the new unit is locked?
    I think there's no way to see if it's unlocked other than trying another SIM in the phone. See if you have a friend with a Cingular or T Mob phone. Slip their card into your phone and see if it works.

I'm guessing the refurb is locked though.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!

Ok I just got off the phone with my great Cingular person. She is going to call me on this. Cingulars plans are not to separate the companies at any great hurry because of ATT analog customer base, which Cingular does not want to touch, yet. So I will expect a call from her today or tomorrow, with answer. She was surprised that ATT locked Treo's as Cingular never has. I told her it really shouldn't be a Lock issue since you are not changing sim cards, so I will let you know asap.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Slightly OT: We have several Nokia phones in our family. They now all say AT&T/Cingular when turned on. My Treo 600 just says AT&T Wireless. Hmm...
    Last edited by badler; 11/16/2004 at 05:29 PM.

What are you trying to accomplish by calling cingular?
    Quote Originally Posted by cingulartreo
    Let me interpret for you,
    "I called cingular today" means he called Cingular today. Cingular now owns ATT.

"I wanted to switch to a cingular plan." He wants to switch from and ATT plan to a Cingular Plan.

"was told that I would have to buy a new phone" Cingular told him that he would have to buy a new phone."

"It was complete choas, I spent two hours on the phone and was transferred way too many times." He got Sprint customer service.

I am hoping ot hear a positive answer on this from Cingular in the morning, but I am not promising. They are joined for some things and not joined for others, at the moment.
    lol
  12.    #12  
    A voice & data plan that better meets my needs now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Let me interpret for you,
    "I called cingular today" means he called Cingular today. Cingular now owns ATT.

"I wanted to switch to a cingular plan." He wants to switch from and ATT plan to a Cingular Plan.

"was told that I would have to buy a new phone" Cingular told him that he would have to buy a new phone."

"It was complete choas, I spent two hours on the phone and was transferred way too many times." He got Sprint customer service.

I am hoping ot hear a positive answer on this from Cingular in the morning, but I am not promising. They are joined for some things and not joined for others, at the moment.

Why would someone do so little with their life that they must do this to fulfill unmet personal needs?
    A voice & data plan that better meets my needs now.
    Yeah, cingular is making people change phones if they change to cingular plans. I wonder how long this policy will last, though.

Their problems are:

1. There are no plans to add cingular type rates to AT&T's billing system.

2. AT&T locks their phones, and cingular has no plans to unlock them, and since a new sim card is needed, a new phone is needed also.

3. AT&T phones mostly (the treo is an exception) only use 1900 frequency in usa. Cingular uses 850 also. Getting a phone that has both will increase coverage opportunities. People who have both frequencies in their AT&T phones still cannot use same phone with cingular plan, but do get the benefit of the combined coverage.

4. Cingular wants to use ENS (enhanced network services) that balances the load of customers on AT&T or cingular towers. This requires a special larger 64k sim card.

5. AT&T and cingular both have propriatary software related to the mMode/Media internet and a couple of other things. To offer you the services for cingular you need a new handset loaded with the correct propriatary software.

The good news is that most of these issues apply only to people with regular handsets. You just need a new sim card, as they said, but not a new phone. If your phone is not yet unlocked, you will then need to search here for the instructions on how to flash your treo to Cingular. Even if unlocked, it might be a good idea anyway because all the cingular settings are added with the reflash.
    Why would someone do so little with their life that they must do this to fulfill unmet personal needs?
    I have been helped by many on this forum who have skills or access that I don't have. I have easy access to Cingular customer service, one three minute phone call and a couple emails. Will be solved by tomorrow. Just wanted to help somebody out, thats all. Not a big deal.
    When I switched from T-Mobile to Cingular, it was quite painless. I already had an unlocked 600 though. I also had a representative who was very knowledgable. I sat down and he had the phone on Cingular with the old number in about 20 minutes. New SIM card, old number, new bill .... and new frequency (850 MHz).

I was a happy camper.
    I called ATT and discussed switching from an ATT plan to a cingular plan. They indicated that I would have to purchase new phones. I have an ATT phone and I ran the unlock patch and found a coworker with a cingular sim and my ATT phone came up on 'cingular extend'. I may still need to load the cingular firmware to get all of the cingular sittings correctly in my phone, but I can call the ATT store back and switch my plan to cingular knowing that I really do not need to purchase another phone, I just need a cingular sim.
    Sorry I didn;t mention it but I have a treo600.
    http://www.newcingular.com/

I we have it solved. Yes, will be unlocking the phone.
  20. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brainodo
    I called ATT and discussed switching from an ATT plan to a cingular plan. They indicated that I would have to purchase new phones. I have an ATT phone and I ran the unlock patch and found a coworker with a cingular sim and my ATT phone came up on 'cingular extend'. I may still need to load the cingular firmware to get all of the cingular sittings correctly in my phone, but I can call the ATT store back and switch my plan to cingular knowing that I really do not need to purchase another phone, I just need a cingular sim.
    I also have an ATT Treo 600 and just called to switch to a cheaper Cingular plan and to get a good deal on a bluetooth phone. I haven't received the phone or SIM yet. My intial confidence in getting my Treo to work is starting to waiver. How involved is the unlock patch. I am not a tech person. I ran a search and it looks like folks had a lot of difficulty unlocking ATT branded Treos. Help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast