Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I also have an ATT Treo 600 and just called to switch to a cheaper Cingular plan and to get a good deal on a bluetooth phone. I haven't received the phone or SIM yet. My intial confidence in getting my Treo to work is starting to waiver. How involved is the unlock patch. I am not a tech person. I ran a search and it looks like folks had a lot of difficulty unlocking ATT branded Treos. Help.
    I had no problem at all with the patch, just follow the directions, I did not have to reload anything, no hard reset needed. There is a thread on mytreo.net specifically dedicated to people looking to get the patch: http://mytreo.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB....num=1096223982

    I have not attempted to do the switch yet because I am on a shared plan and the person that has the second phone is out of town.
  2. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #22  
    Thanks for that Brainodo. I appreciate it.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I also have an ATT Treo 600 and just called to switch to a cheaper Cingular plan and to get a good deal on a bluetooth phone. I haven't received the phone or SIM yet. My intial confidence in getting my Treo to work is starting to waiver. How involved is the unlock patch. I am not a tech person. I ran a search and it looks like folks had a lot of difficulty unlocking ATT branded Treos. Help.
    It is actually pretty easy.

    If you don't have firmware 3.05/3.06 on your treo you will have to update to that first. This does require a hard reset.

    Once you have 3.05/3.06 then you can run the unlock patch.

    http://mytreo.net is where you want to go to get the updates.
  4. gacajun's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #24  
    I purchased a Cingular branded T600 and it was locked. I updated the firmware to 3.05, got the unlock patch at mytreo.net and ran it...was not hard at all. I got a friend's TMO sim and put it in my Cingular T600 and it worked on TMO network just fine. I would think that unlocking your ATT T600 would be smooth as well. You'll just need to get a SIM card from Cingular but since you are switching to their program it should not be a problem.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
  5. #25  
    So I made the call to ATT/Cingular on 11/25 to confirm all of my options in switching from ATT to Cingular. I have a business discount through ATT and according to the Bus cust srvc it was xferable to cingular. On 11/26 I called to make the switch What I had gathered the day before seemed to hold true on the 26th also... Miracles do happen
    In these conversations I believe that I was actually talking to ATT. I placed my order, I have two lines to be converted to Cingular one is a Treo600 and is unlocked, they seemed to understand and indicated that I needed to go to a CIngular store and purchase a 64K Cingular sim. The other line was a new phone to be shipped. No Problems so far... So i go to a local CIngualr store and they test my phone to make sure that it is unlocked ( thanks to the unlock at mytreo.net ) and it works fine on Cingular. I finally recieved my order on 12/09., I believe that part of the delay was due to the business discount on ATT. I will not get into the many conversations that I had with ATT/Cingular regarding my plan but the unofficial word from the last person that I talked to was the the business discounts would roll over to Cingular. Also what was interesting was that along with the new phone for the first line that I ordered they sent a new Cingular sim card for my Treo. Cool !!

    Now my concern is, should I install the Cingular 3.05 Treo firmware or stay with the Att unlocked version that I am runnig now?????

    Thanks for any input,
    Terry
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by brainodo
    So I made the call to ATT/Cingular on 11/25 to confirm all of my options in switching from ATT to Cingular. I have a business discount through ATT and according to the Bus cust srvc it was xferable to cingular. On 11/26 I called to make the switch What I had gathered the day before seemed to hold true on the 26th also... Miracles do happen
    In these conversations I believe that I was actually talking to ATT. I placed my order, I have two lines to be converted to Cingular one is a Treo600 and is unlocked, they seemed to understand and indicated that I needed to go to a CIngular store and purchase a 64K Cingular sim. The other line was a new phone to be shipped. No Problems so far... So i go to a local CIngualr store and they test my phone to make sure that it is unlocked ( thanks to the unlock at mytreo.net ) and it works fine on Cingular. I finally recieved my order on 12/09., I believe that part of the delay was due to the business discount on ATT. I will not get into the many conversations that I had with ATT/Cingular regarding my plan but the unofficial word from the last person that I talked to was the the business discounts would roll over to Cingular. Also what was interesting was that along with the new phone for the first line that I ordered they sent a new Cingular sim card for my Treo. Cool !!

    Now my concern is, should I install the Cingular 3.05 Treo firmware or stay with the Att unlocked version that I am runnig now?????

    Thanks for any input,
    Terry
    I think you would want to install the firmware for Internet settings. I don't think their firmware will lock the phone. Mine is unlocked still, and I used Palm's firmware for Cingular.
  7. #27  
    Ok, I have made the transition to the other side, I have switched from ATT to Cingular. Not the smoothest operation in the world, I spent at least 2 hours on the phone today, on hold and talking to tech support. What is cool is that as part of the switch The cingular setting were automatically added to my network preferences menu and my old att setting were removed --- miracles still happen
    My voice mail doesnt work yet, but I have been able to connect to the internet and am happy not to worry about how much data or how long I play.
    I am thinking about doing a hard reset, loading the cingular firmware and loading everything from scratch. I have had some wierd things happen since I converted my Palm VIIx to the treo. I really liked the lightwav application but I had to stop using it because of the resets it caused. I am hoping that starting from scratch will help,
  8.    #28  
    I installed the cingular firmware and it caused the phone to stop working. So I ran the unlock patch again and everything works fine now.
  9. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    you don't have to listen to them
    if you have a unlocked treo, simply put the cingular SIM, configuration is another story
    or simply unlock your treo, still required to change the configuration if you want to use on cingular
    That's not what the Customer No-Service at ATT/Cing told me today. She said i'd have to buy a new phone to switch. Period. AND...i'd have to pay the switch fee AND a sign up fee. What a crock, i can see the buy out did nothing to make ATT better.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  10. #30  
    why don't we all email cingular headquarters and let them know of our disappointment with there service and the way they are treating us, the customers. also try to find out what is the hold up with the 650. letting them know we will be jumping ship to another provider namely sprint. lets see what happens, and if we get a response.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg
    That's not what the Customer No-Service at ATT/Cing told me today. She said i'd have to buy a new phone to switch. Period. AND...i'd have to pay the switch fee AND a sign up fee. What a crock, i can see the buy out did nothing to make ATT better.
    you boviously are getting that crappy call center in Louisiana. No you don't have to pay swithc fee or sign up fee. And you don't have to switch phones.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    you boviously are getting that crappy call center in Louisiana.
    cglaguna, which call center do you call into? Just curious. I am a cingular customer since its inception and have noticed when I have had to call from time to time (upgrading, tech problems, etc.) that from one call to the next the service would do a 180. Also who do you have an order in with on a 650?? spill the beans??

    I am actually eagerly awaiting the 650 to upgrade right now, so if i can place a reserve order on one that would be great!! also, i do my business with cingular over the phone as the customer service reps have more "power" to satisfy me in haggling over any perks.
    Last edited by JerryP2375; 01/11/2005 at 09:58 PM.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    cglaguna, which call center do you call into? Just curious. I am a cingular customer since its inception and have noticed when I have had to call from time to time (upgrading, tech problems, etc.) that from one call to the next the service would do a 180. Also who do you have an order in with on a 650?? spill the beans??

    I am actually eagerly awaiting the 650 to upgrade right now, so if i can place a reserve order on one that would be great!! also, i do my business with cingular over the phone as the customer service reps have more "power" to satisfy me in haggling over any perks.
    San Jose is the best office. For me if I call Cing during day I get San Jose. If they are busy or if later in the afternoon I get Louisiana (SUCKS!).
    Nothing exciting, my GSM 650 is on order with Vienna Channels. If Cingular comes up with it first or simultaneous, with a good contract price, I may buy both since non-locked 650s seems will become desireable.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    San Jose is the best office. For me if I call Cing during day I get San Jose. If they are busy or if later in the afternoon I get Louisiana (SUCKS!).
    Nothing exciting, my GSM 650 is on order with Vienna Channels. If Cingular comes up with it first or simultaneous, with a good contract price, I may buy both since non-locked 650s seems will become desireable.

    vienna channels, ok...guaranteed to be unlocked?? price?? and thanks
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    vienna channels, ok...guaranteed to be unlocked?? price?? and thanks
    Sorry didn't notice you were new. No one is taking orders for 650's yet GSM. Long story short: Palm One did a Dog and pony show across the nation in large cities. IT people were the main invitees. Those of us who were invited, or who were on this forum and found the link to registration, could register for the event. Attendees got the right to order at a special price, $349 (and wait for a long time, 2 months so far) People who did not attend, could not order. Vienna Channels is a special marketing firm working with P1 to launch the 650. Vienna Channels, Guaranteed to be unlocked. Palm One GSM, guaranteed to be unlocked. Cingular Version, the jury is still out.
  16. #36  
    My understanding is that it is more than just a new card. The phone has to have programming to handle the 64K card, and to do the ENS features, which helps balance the tower usage and gives you better signal strength in areas with both old AT&T towers and old Cingular towers, mainly by treating them both as Home systems. Thereby allowing the phone to use the better signal of the 2, even if it is the other.

    Otherwise, an AT&T locked phone will attempt to stay on the AT&T tower, even if it is only 2 bars, even if a 4 bar Cingular tower is available. (No AT&T tower, and it will freely roam on the Cingular tower for no roaming fee).

    With a Treo, I wonder whether you could download a Cingular software upgrade to handle ENS, or if there is some hardware change necessary. If so, you may not get ENS until the 650.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions