1.    #1  
    I was in a cell phone store today asking about the Treo 650. The rep told me Edge is coming to T-Mobile in the 1st Quarter of 2005, and that T-Mobile already signed the Edge contract with At&t to use the Edge equipment.

The rep then told me he was on T-Mobile and showed me his new Edge-capable phone he just bought in anticipation of Edge capibility. He then explained that Edge would not be covered by the $19.99 internet plan.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Common misconception according to HoFo'ers everytime this subject comes up... GSM accounts provisioned for GPRS data access using EDGE radios in EDGE coverage areas get EDGE functionality. There's no way to disable or divorce EDGE from GPRS, from the carrier's standpoint. Anybody have any details on this, though I've never heard a contrary answer to this question?

Todd/Indy
    If a site does not have edge radios installed in it, than you can't get edge. By the time they build there edge nationa wide, Cingular will probaly have umts built. Also it depends on the phone too. It has to be adge capable. If the channels are all used up on edge than you will be put on a non edge radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Edge would not be covered by the $19.99 internet plan.
    what will t-mobile be charging for EDGE then? doesn't sound like they're interested in being all that competitive with Cingular/AT&T on data pricing going forward.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    FWIW, recently I called T-Mo to complain about reception at my house. I was told "A system enhancement is planned for your area within the next 6 months.". When I pressed a CSR about what this meant I was told it could be that they are simply installing more towers in my area or it could be that they are upgrading the tower equipment (whatever that means). So, I'm waiting to see if things improve before I call back and complain again.
    I seriously doubt this rumor. I was talking to T-mobile CS a couple weeks ago. Not only did the CSR not even know what edge was (no surprise) the person she got to talk to me who would know knew nothing about t-mo getting it. T-mo was supposed to be testing EDGE like a year ago, right? In summary: T-mo's EDGE is to Samsung's OS 5 smartphone.
    If it is a relatively inexpensive upgrade, T-Mo will do it. If not, don't hold your breath. It seems like T-Mo's data strategy is WiFi based so they are signing WiFi agreements left and right to provide enhanced data capability. The lack of WiFi is probably why T-Mo isn't pushing the Treo and is instead pushing PPC phones.

I am a current T-Mo customer and would love to see them roll out EDGE but I don't think it'll happen any time soon. I may jump to Cingular *IF* the data price is reasonable.
    T-Mobile EDGE will be activated in June 2005
    you can refer edge deployment...when in hofo
    then Tmo may sell 650 then
    Tmo seems to be the last one to sell the device (including Treo600)
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    you can refer edge deployment...when in hofo
    then Tmo may sell 650 then
    Tmo seems to be the last one to sell the device (including Treo600)
    fwiw, Verizon was the last to carry the Treo 600 by a long shot...

Go Edge!!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    IMO
    verizon phone are nothing but sh?t
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mingkee
    How do you know that? Do you know about pricing specifics?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I talked with a TMo CSR a couple weeks ago. I was asking about their plans to carry the Treo 650...When I asked her about EDGE, she said it was in the 'testing' phase right now and would be 'switched on' nation wide sometime after the first of the year.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    So, I have the T-mobile $30 voice only (no data) plan now with my treo 180. I'm upgrading to the 650, and I want to get unlimited internet. Will it be better for me to get the $20/mo Cingular plan or get the T-mobile plan?
    Thanks!
    it's hard to tell
    since MEdia works DO NOT support other than phone internet connection, then you may face something will happen
    T-Mobile Internet is officially support ALL devices (phone, pda, pc/laptop), includes T-Zones
    about #11
    3gamericas.org released EDGE fact sheet (September edition)
    it showed once that launch date is Jun2005