Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    At least that's what I was told today at the Cing. store in Santa Monica, CA this morning

    I was in there inquiring about the 650 ("probably not this year") and I asked about the MediaWorks plan. He said that he had activated it on plenty of Treo 600s (despite it not being an officially supported phone), but that it would only access GPRS. I know this directly contradicts some previous posts on these boards.

    Is anyone using EDGE now with cingular? I don't even know how you would tell, nor in which test markets it's up and running.

    Finally, because there is so much bad info @ MediaWorks on their website, can anyone confirm that you can use Blazer w/ a Cingular treo to access more-or-less the full web, and not just WAP sites and that it works w/ standard POP3 e-mail. Thanks
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    I know this directly contradicts some previous posts on these boards
    you got that right. that's another ignorant rep. Of course, the media works plan won't allow one use the WCDMA markets, but there really isn't a way to govern access to EDGE versus GPRS because EDGE is an extension of GPRS. And it is a different upgrade compared to the initial CSD to GPRS upgrade. EDGE is available to all handsets capable of using it, given that the account has been allocated to access data services
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  3. #3  
    MEdia Works works great for me--full web access and POP e-mail. Only a small recent glitch with Cingular's own web site run by Infospace (search for the other thread on this).
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I'm really only interested in two upcoming handsets: Treo 650 and BenQ P50. Who will deliver EDGE to me?
    palmOne, on the 650 of course! I was going to pass on the 650 until I learned that... Time to make the happy change to your sig?

    Todd/Indy
  5. spiVeyx's Avatar
    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    #5  
    I am using the MEdia Works package for EVERYTHING. We use GoodLink at work and it Syncs fine. I can send/receive all of my other email accounts, as well as establish a VPN connection.

    I would assume, given the above, that MEdia Works provides unfettered access to the Internet.
  6. #6  
    Does anyone know if you can get the Media Works package *without* getting voice minutes? Do you even get a phone number assigned? And, if it's still possible to make phone calls, what rate they charge your per minute for them?
  7. #7  
    [He said that he had activated it on plenty of Treo 600s (despite it not being an officially supported phone),

    You got that right that the rep was uninformed - the Treo 600 was officially supported - I bought one. Perhaps he just meant you go to Palmone for tech support. It was officially released for Cingular - check out the official Cingular firmware updater.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Levyesq
    [He said that he had activated it on plenty of Treo 600s (despite it not being an officially supported phone),

    You got that right that the rep was uninformed - the Treo 600 was officially supported - I bought one. Perhaps he just meant you go to Palmone for tech support. It was officially released for Cingular - check out the official Cingular firmware updater.
    I meant that MediaWorks was not officially "offered" for the Treo:

    On Cingular's website, under media packages, when you check to see if your phone is "text-capable" or "internet ready", the Treo 600 are not listed. It also says "MEdia packages are not offered while placing your order." How do i get it, as a new customer?

    When you try to buy a Treo 600 and choose a Data Plan its says "no plans available" or some such. It just seems like they're trying to hide the fact that this phone can, in fact, order and use these services. Why? It makes me worry that at any moment they can start charging Treo users $50 a month and say "well we never said you could use that plan with that device."
  9. #9  
    I am on MEdia works and have full access to the web on my 600 and have had prior to MEdia works on smaller plans. MEdia Works includes EDGE, there is no distinction.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dorp7
    Does anyone know if you can get the Media Works package *without* getting voice minutes? Do you even get a phone number assigned? And, if it's still possible to make phone calls, what rate they charge your per minute for them?
    No, don't try to do that or you get hit with the $79.00 one. Get the smallest plan that allows Media Works.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    On Cingular's website, under media packages, when you check to see if your phone is "text-capable" or "internet ready", the Treo 600 are not listed. It also says "MEdia packages are not offered while placing your order." How do i get it, as a new customer?
    if you buy from amazon you can select the 19.99 unlimited package
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I am using the MEdia Works package for EVERYTHING. We use GoodLink at work and it Syncs fine. I can send/receive all of my other email accounts, as well as establish a VPN connection.

    I would assume, given the above, that MEdia Works provides unfettered access to the Internet.
    What VPN client are you using on your phone? I just got a Treo 600 and am trying to establish a VPN connection. MergicVPN only supports PPTP, and it seems that Cingular's MedaiWorks uses NAT, which doesn't work with PPTP. I am trying to get Movian to work, but doesn't look like it runs on the 600.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    I meant that MediaWorks was not officially "offered" for the Treo:

    On Cingular's website, under media packages, when you check to see if your phone is "text-capable" or "internet ready", the Treo 600 are not listed. It also says "MEdia packages are not offered while placing your order." How do i get it, as a new customer?

    When you try to buy a Treo 600 and choose a Data Plan its says "no plans available" or some such. It just seems like they're trying to hide the fact that this phone can, in fact, order and use these services. Why? It makes me worry that at any moment they can start charging Treo users $50 a month and say "well we never said you could use that plan with that device."
    I was in a Cingular store and was shown a binder with a chart of plans. The Blackberry had a seperate plan for unlimited internet, but the Treo 600 clearly had the media works package listed. However, it did say unlimited internet n/a. I think they would have activated it anyways though
  14. #14  
    MEdia Net Works plan is a "feature" not a data plan. you chose your phone. Then you add the Media Net plans as a "feature."

    I know, I don't understand it either.

    That also answers another question. As far as I know, you can not get Media Net plan without get a voice plan. But, also with Cingular GSM in network etc.... you can use your MEdia Net plan and not take minutes off your voice plan.

Posting Permissions