1.    #1  
    I have good source at Cingular California and EDGE is coming soon. NO specifics yet, but will keep you posted.
    When you say Cingular EDGE, do you mean an opening up of AT&Ts existing EDGE network to Cingular customers?

Also, will the current MediaWorks plan still be in effect when EDGE becomes available?

I just got off the phone with Cingular and they are claiming that all of AT&Ts resources (EDGE, 850 mhz towers, etc) will be available to Cingular customers on 11/15
    Off to iPhone land...
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I don't know about Media Works and EDGE, I am working on that info. Us in SoCal have noticed the merge already as far as phone coverage. It depends on what market you are in, they are opening in stages.
    what are you noticing so far in socal in terms of reception quality?

since moving to the Bay area I am having for the first time ever significant reception trouble with Cingular. (I previously enjoyed solid coverage in Santa Barbara area and Seattle.) i am having particular trouble inside my apartment and i am hoping the AT&T 850 mhz towers will help with this trouble. can anyone speak to indoor reception improvements with the switch over to AT&Ts 850 towers?
    Off to iPhone land...
    I just called Cingular and asked about the pricing for their EDGE services. I currently have the unlimited MEdiaWorks package (unlimited GPRS internet) for $19.99, and I was told that this will include the capabilities of EDGE for the same price.

Since it doesn't cost anything more to get signed up for the EDGE, I had it added to my service. Now, when I get my Treo 650 GSM smartphone, I'll be all set to use the Bay Area's installation of EDGE services. (BTW -- the map of Cingular's EDGE network is at http://www.cingular.com/download/Gprs-Edge_07_29.pdf)
    Cingular wasn't even close to the coverage of edge that ATT has. Cingular has increased coverage in Cali with the merger and I am sure there edge cover will be alot better. Cingular will be improving coverage dramtically in the next year.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    what are you noticing so far in socal in terms of reception quality?

since moving to the Bay area I am having for the first time ever significant reception trouble with Cingular. (I previously enjoyed solid coverage in Santa Barbara area and Seattle.) i am having particular trouble inside my apartment and i am hoping the AT&T 850 mhz towers will help with this trouble. can anyone speak to indoor reception improvements with the switch over to AT&Ts 850 towers?
    I am in OC at beach, I have had very good reception prior, and now it is even better, and I know 600 are not EDGE enabled but, the quality of internet service appears to be faster, but maybe I am dreaming. I went with Cingular years ago because of great coverage in OC. I also have phone with T-Mob and Sprint. Moving all to Cing as soon as 650 comes out.