1.    #1  
    I just heard from my Cingular insider that LA will be the first market targeted for the tower merge of ATT and Cingulars towers. Hope this is true.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Perception is everything. From thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61098

Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    I have Cingular and have noticed an increase in my signal strength since last week after the merger when they "merged" the networks. I also have a constant GPRS indicator when before it was spotty. I am happy with the merger cuz I have MUCH better signal coverage than before.
    AT&T/Cingular networks merged in the Bay Area 4+ months ago, coverage is now excellent following the network merge but I have to say that AT&T data pricing really sucks:
    Well yes and no. 4 months ago Cingular towers were opened up to AT&T customers, but the reverse hasn't been true. I switched from AT&Tws to Cingular after this happened and found that I was not able to use the AT&T towers.
    Per this merger the AT&T towers should be opening up to Cingular users if they haven't already. I think they have becuase I"m seeing more consistent reception in areas where I use to drop to 0 signal.
    How bizzare that it was only 1 way for so long.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    AT&T/Cingular networks merged in the Bay Area 4+ months ago, coverage is now excellent following the network merge but I have to say that AT&T data pricing really sucks:
    Cingular pricing rules, in my opinion.
    Yes, I can confirm that AT&T towers have not opened up to Cingular customers in San Francisco. I have a case # with Cingular investigating when the AT&T towers will be turned on because I am having a lot of problems in my home with Cingular coverage. I suspect the root of my problems is Cingular's use of 1900 mhz towers. I'm hoping that I'll get better coverage in my home once AT&T 850 mhz towers are made available to Cingular customers.

Does anyone have any experience with AT&T GSM in the Marina and Downtown areas of San Francisco? Thanks.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Remember it is going to take time, but soon you will not be able to tell what tower you are actually on.
    Great thread! I am an AT&T subscriber living in the Bay Area.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Well yes and no. 4 months ago Cingular towers were opened up to AT&T customers, but the reverse hasn't been true. I switched from AT&Tws to Cingular after this happened and found that I was not able to use the AT&T towers.
    Per this merger the AT&T towers should be opening up to Cingular users if they haven't already. I think they have becuase I"m seeing more consistent reception in areas where I use to drop to 0 signal.
  10.    #10  
    Well about a week and a half ago we started using both towers. My contact at Cingular said that the ATT logo will show for up to two months while connected to their towers. The are slowly working on changing the text. Slight small issues the first two days was my data would freeze when traveling across carriers, it has since stopped doing that. But 4 bars baby, almost everywhere.