Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    ooops.....posted this above in the hardware section but think that it is more appropriately posted here so forgive the double post......

I just purchased a TREO 600 with 8mb of data download each month ( $19.95 ) plus my voice plan.

When I log into the internet ... it is kind of complicated to then log out of the network each time that I want to access something there. Don't know if you noticed but you have to go to preferences / network etc. and then "disconnect" unless I am doing it the hard way......

I just had the thought that I am not actually being billed anything unless I am down loading something from the net so guess it doesn't matter too much if I am connected to the "Network" all the time. As long as I am NOT downloading anything, I shouldn't be billed ...... Is this correct on AT&T GSM?

I am investigating WideFind by http://electricpocket.com and Handmark's Express at: http://handmark.com/ as a way to maximize my download efficency.

Anybody have any other suggestions re. AT&T's network??

Regards,

kalaZano
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I've heard stories about people loading web pages that do periodic refreshes and having them use up bandwidth in the background if you stay connected.

If you're worried about this, I'd load TreoOffOn (do a search for the thread to get the software). It gives you a easy access to turn off the GPRS connection.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalazano

When I log into the internet ... it is kind of complicated to then log out of the network each time that I want to access something there. Don't know if you noticed but you have to go to preferences / network etc. and then "disconnect" unless I am doing it the hard way......

I just had the thought that I am not actually being billed anything unless I am down loading something from the net so guess it doesn't matter too much if I am connected to the "Network" all the time. As long as I am NOT downloading anything, I shouldn't be billed ...... Is this correct on AT&T GSM?
    If you're using Blazer (the built-in web browser) and you have the latest firmware (I'm guessing you do), then you can go to Menu -> Options -> Disconnect in the Blazer to disconnect

You are not being billed anything unless you are actively sending or receiving data, so if the browser is idle then you're not being charged.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."