1.    #1  
    I remember I could select the network I wanted to use on my 270...

Anyways, in my apartment, I get between little and no reception from Cingular. There's someone down the hall who has ATT & gets full reception. Once a week I'll pick up a full strength "Cingular Extend" which must be me picking up the ATT network - before it switches back to Cingular and I loose my connection. Is there any way to force my phone to use AT&T towers while I'm at home?

Thanks!!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphem
    I remember I could select the network I wanted to use on my 270...

Anyways, in my apartment, I get between little and no reception from Cingular. There's someone down the hall who has ATT & gets full reception. Once a week I'll pick up a full strength "Cingular Extend" which must be me picking up the ATT network - before it switches back to Cingular and I loose my connection. Is there any way to force my phone to use AT&T towers while I'm at home?

Thanks!!
    It depends upon the SIM in the phone. When I was on TMobile, I had access to the Network Menu that allowed me to select network, or at least see the networks available to me. Unfortunatly in my area, TMobile did not have roaming agreements with ATT or Cingular so it did not matter if I could see the networks because the SIM was not authorized.

In California, Northern Nevada, and NYC, roaming agreements are in place, so you could select which network you wanted to use.

With my pay as you go ATT SIM, I also was able to select the Network.

Now, for various reasons, I am currently a Cingular customer with a Cingular SIM. The Network menu item is disabled by the Cingular SIM so I can not select which network I wanted use... The choices can not be displayed. The system seems to be programmed to use a Cingular Tower until it is too weak then search for a "partners" tower, typically ATT, which explains your Cingular Extend message.

With the ATT-Cingular merger, I am noticing that ATT towers are being converted to Cingular. Areas where I previously was on Cingular Extend, now are Cingular.

I have noted that even if the former ATT Tower has a stronger signal, currently the phone will stay on the original network Cingular tower. I expect this will improve as the merger matures.

I would expect your signal to improve in your are over then next few months.