1.    #1  
    Hey, Beth again.

Today I went to a Cingular store, one of those multi stores, and a Sprint Store. The multi store recommended T-mobile over any other Treo 600 date/call plan.

T Mobile, Cingular and Sprint all had their attributes, so, I really just have one question? Is any of these a NO GO? Meaning, are any of these companies awful when it comes to the Treo 600, internet service, customer service, secret charges, or anything?

And actually, I do have ONE more question: Is there any company that it's great to buy from on-line, or one I absolutely must AVOID?

Love and Peace to all those replying! Once I become an expert, I'll return the favor
    i heard the data plan from Sprint (Vision?) is only $5 and the speed on CDMA is faster than GSM. i have had TMO for 2.5 yrs so I am not going to change to Cingular since some of my option plans are grandfathered already.
  3.    #3  
    Sprint is $15 a month, with the first two months free. Not bad.
    I'm with Vodafone Australia (GSM with GPRS). I'm on a No Plans rate. No minimum monthly charge, but calls are at 1 cent per second. SMS is 25 cents per message, but that's pretty much the going rate with all the other carriers in Australia. Data rates are very high but I rarely use my Treo to check emails anyway. Network coverage is excellent. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the service.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks... I'm in Los Angeles, California, USA.

Beth
    Well, maybe if you ever decide to move to Australia.
    tmobile here.
    I have the unlimited internet plan for $19.99 a month
    AWS is expensive for data plans and it took 15 months before I got an invoice that didn't contain errors but the signal coverage following the Cingular deal is now pretty good.
  9.    #9  
    Cool. Forgive me, but what is AWS?
    I've been on T-Mo for several years now. Coverage has been excellent wherever I go from right coast to left coast, north to south. There was one little town I visited in northwestern NY where there was no coverage, but no other carrier got any coverage there either so I can't complain. T-Mo customer service is still the best out there. They are kind and courteous, and if they can't answer your questions they'll find someone who can.

And even though the data service is slow, at $19.99 for unlimited, I'm using it with PdaNet all day long on my laptop. It rocks.
    You can get t zone with t mobile for only $9.95 and have full access!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbzvariety
    Cool. Forgive me, but what is AWS?
    AWS is short for AT&T Wireless Services.
  13.    #13  
    Some say $9.95 for full access, some say $19.99, and some say $39.99.

What is which? T-zones, unlimited PDA internet, unlimited laptop wi-fi... why don't these people speak English? I can't tell you how frustrated I am.

Beth
    They speak cellular, it's a dialect of English. They are slowly cutting back what you can access on T-zones, so your best bet is still the $19.99 unlimited data plan. The $39.99 is for both internet and hotspots.

What is which? T-zones, unlimited PDA internet, unlimited laptop wi-fi... why don't these people speak English? I can't tell you how frustrated I am.

Beth
    I have AT&T. The wireless is not as fast as CDMA but the coverage (mostly due to their agreements with Cingular) is better than anything else in the area.

There are things to know when buying service from these places.
    For instance, if you go to the AT&T web site to purchase the phone and get service the only option you are given for service is your data plan, not a voice plan.
    The unlimited usage data plan on the web site will cost you about $49.99 per month and the tricky thing is that you automatically get voice service but not under a regular plan and you pay really high per minute costs.
    I went directly to an AT&T store and signed up for the $39.99 voice plan and excluded the data plan entirely. Later on I called them on the phone and activated data and adding it in only cost $24.95 per month for the unlimited service. Gee these bastards are sneaky.
    OK, when I received my first months bill I see that they "gave" me a free month of voice dialing, a $6.99 value. They also added in a $5. a month package for SMS and a $2. per month package for text messaging. Of course the voice dialing was "Free" for the first month and then they start tacking it onto every bill thereafter. In effect they added on $14. per month in additional charges/services that I did not request.
    I had to call them to cancel the services, argue with them to get the charges reversed and to top it all off, they said "Oh, you are already into the new billing month so you will charged a pro-rated fee for those services. You will have to call back when you receive your new bill if you wish to dispute those charges."
    I tell you, these people are just sneaky as hell. I do not doubt that all of the carriers have their own little devices for squeezing money out of you but if you are cautious and prepared you can avoid quite a bit of it.

To make things worse. My first bill was prorated as it only covered about 3 weeks.
    I called in to dispute the charges for non-requested services and was told I would have to call back in again when the next bill arrived in order to get the remaining charges removed. I did not pay the first bill, I waited until the second arrived so that I could get all of the charges straight before profering payment. When the new bill arrived I did not get to it for 3 days as I generally pay the bills all at once. I was on my way home from work that day and found my phone service had been shut off.
    I was really surprised. Generally if you miss a payment, the following bill will say "Hey, you have an overdue balance, please pay both of them now" but instead they actually cut off my service sooner than payment could have even reached them let alone cleared the bank. I was REALLY surprised since I was not even 30 days overdue on the original partial bill and the new bill was not even CLOSE to it's due date yet, it had only just arrived.
    I talked with their phone rep and he indicated that since I was a "new" customer I did not have a payment history with them so they are less lenient with payments. WOW! I thought they would appreciate new customers and work with you to establish a good relationship but I was wrong. Then they tried to charge me $25. per phone (two phones on the account) to re-activate service. I managed to talk him out of it though at first he did seem a bit hard-nosed about the charge.

When you are trying to pick a service provider investigate what everyone else is getting for service and the costs. The costs vary quite a bit. They may have their prices posted but they are a lot more flexible than they would have you believe and you CAN get a better deal. The best place to go is a carriers store, not one of those little mall booths but a full store where you can work with the salesman to get a better deal.
    With AT&T I managed to get them to drop the cost of my Treo 600 by $100. by telling them that I was currently with Verizon and they give me $100. credit towards upgrading my phone. I told them I was considering switching carriers but the phone was expensive and if I can save so much money (dont even consider the activation fees) by staying with Verizon then it might not be worth the switch. They did finally agree to match the Verizon price on the Treo and I switched service.

Beth
    T-Zones Pro @ $9.99. I don't see any additional functionality added by going to the $19.99 plan. I do POP and IMAP email, stream all shoutcast stations and surf both secure and nonsecure sites with this.

Best deal out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    T-Zones Pro @ $9.99. I don't see any additional functionality added by going to the $19.99 plan. I do POP and IMAP email, stream all shoutcast stations and surf both secure and nonsecure sites with this.

Best deal out there.
    They probably will close port 80 (http://) for all except the $20 plan in the future. Until then T Mobile is the best option. Hell I can reach most website on my $5 T Zone plan. Too bad my SE K700 can't read them.

From what I have heard, GSm/edge is as fast as CDMA data speed.
    I too am happy with T-Mobile. I've had them since my VisorPhone days. Thankfully enough, I got grandfathered in with the $2.99 T-Zones plan so I still have it at that price. It serves me well for e-mail, Avantgo, browsing, SMS and all other data functions I have tried so far. I know it won't do VPN, so I might be upgrading later, we'll see.
    The current $4.99 T-Zones plan should be all you need for average use.

I also use it for PDA Net as well and it works great.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
  19.    #19  
    What's VPN? Yikes.

With T-Zone, can you look up things in mapquest, traffic, etc.? Can you look up real websites that aren't really designed for PDA's?

Good advice so far. Keep it up!

Beth