1.    #1  
    New member of the forum.

I am about to buy a Treo 600 GSM and want to select between AT&T and T-mobile. I live in Pittsburgh, PA but travel quite a bit domestically and some international too.

Would welcome your comments about anything that should influence my decision.

Thanks.

SR
    Check the coverage maps. AT&T site shows a good representation of their coverage. It works for me for the phone, but I have refused to pay their rates for data use. If they ever offer a decent data plan I will be 1st in line, but my current needs do not justify the costs. I travel from Harrisburg to the Erie area often and have good coverage most of the way. (esp. along I-80) I know nothing about T-mobile, but many on this board do know, and will respond. Good luck to you

john
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $T$-$Mobile$ $has$ $the$ $best$ $rates$ $for$ $calling$ $while$ $out$ $of$ $the$ $country$. $In$ $most$ $ow$ $western$ $Europe$ $it$ $costs$ .$99$ $with$ $higher$ $rates$ $in$ $other$ $countries$. $You$ $can$ $call$ $many$ $countries$ $from$ $the$ $US$ $for$ .$29$. $Their$ $coverage$ $in$ $the$ $US$ $is$ $pretty$ $good$ $though$ $they$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $the$ $roaming$ $agreements$ $that$ $some$ $providers$ $do$. $Lastly$, $they$ $are$ $rated$ $the$ $best$ $in$ $customer$ $service$.

<snip>
    #1 Customer Service Award
    T-Mobile awarded "Highest Ranked Wireless Customer Service Performance" in a national study by J.D. Power and Associates.
    </snip>
    tmobile is the best. Data service is $19.99 unlimited and you can get a reginal plan for $50 THAT HAS 3000 MIN. They offer the best value for the dollar. Here in Denver it is great.
    I have traveled extensively with T-Mo. I found no service in Watertown, NY, and no roaming provider in Nassau, Bahamas. Beyond that I've been very pleased. And as the previous two people said - you can't beat the rates or customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrust
    New member of the forum.

I am about to buy a Treo 600 GSM and want to select between AT&T and T-mobile. I live in Pittsburgh, PA but travel quite a bit domestically and some international too.

Would welcome your comments about anything that should influence my decision.

Thanks.

SR
    Unfortunately, the answer is YMMV. I've used both Tmobile and AT&T. While Tmobile is good in the major metro areas, the coverage drops quickly in the suburban areas. As ATT now roams throughout the Cingular network (which is on 850mhz) the coverage is significantly more pervasive, with better building penetration while on Cingular.

That being said, coverage among carriers varies widely depending on where you are located (and travel to). Check out www.howardforums.com for ongoing coverage debates between the carriers. As to International roaming, ATT pricing is competitive with Tmobile **if** you sign up for one of their International roaming plans. You can do this just for the month you are traveling, and cancel it when you get back. International roaming partners are pretty much equal between the two of them (gotta love GSM) so worldwide coverage isn't an issue.

As to all you can eat data pricing, there is no contest, Tmobile wins hands-down. However, you need a signal to get the data
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    AT&T coverage has been fine for me (and getting better). But the data pricing sucks, so I don't use data much.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Ohhh... the other thing: If you buy it from the provider, beware: Both phones will come locked, but after a bit TMobile will unlock the phone for you. It takes an act of God for AT&T to unlock a phone no matter how long you've had it. Not a problem for me since I've got an unbranded phone, but something you might want to put into your pro/con list.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    Ohhh... the other thing: If you buy it from the provider, beware: Both phones will come locked, but after a bit TMobile will unlock the phone for you. It takes an act of God for AT&T to unlock a phone no matter how long you've had it. Not a problem for me since I've got an unbranded phone, but something you might want to put into your pro/con list.

If I get an AT&T phone and they don't unlock it for me, will one of those "unlocking services" work (advertised on the net for $10 or so) ?

Thanks

SR
    My sense is that for travelling internationally nothing beats AT&T, since they have the most extensive network of roaming agreements. I used to be with T-Mobile, which is good in Europe, but limited in Latin America (no data service in most countries). AT&T has both voice and data coverage everywhere, and since that is a must for me, I switched to AT&T.

I have to admit that pricing sucks, though. I hope that when AT&T Wireless is absorved by Cingular they keep the roaming agreements but change the pricing
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    AT&T coverage is far better than T-Mobile's. There is a HUGE gap in coverage on Route 80 in PA. The coverage they do have in Central PA is roaming on Conestoga Wireless. The minutes are fine, but data is roaming. I'm in Central PA six times a year for PSU football games.

T-Mobile data is cheaper, but its also slower. Yeah, that's more of a subjective opinion than an objective one. Go with AT&T (soon to be Cingular).

Joe
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    tmobile is the best. Data service is $19.99 unlimited and you can get a reginal plan for $50 THAT HAS 3000 MIN. They offer the best value for the dollar. Here in Denver it is great.
    I noticed when I was in Denver this summer visiting the family that the data services (e.g. surfing the web) didn't always work. The places where it didn't work (e.g. Hampden & I-25) were consistent. Have you noticed anything like this?
    I moved from AT&T because of data, and because of horrendous customer service. 40 minutes hold time on average. Plus it happened several times that I called to add a package, and my bill would come in at the end of the month, and surprise, it hadn't been added, and I was charged up the wazoo for using those services. My brother, an AT&T sales rep, has this great story about how he was on hold once for 27 hours - he just left the phone off the hook (obviously a fluke, but quite amusing nonetheless). I called T-Mobile when I was considering swtiching, and I thought their customer serivice was really good - they were helpful and the wait time was minimal. The plans seemed pretty nice, too. I ended up with Cingular because of better coverage area. From what I understand, AT&T customer service has gotten better recently though. In addition, they now share Cingular towers, as was mentioned.

So, if you're going to switch, why not just go to Cingualr instead of AT&T and get a better data plan and 7PM nights without having to commit to a contract?

As for international travel, just get the unlocked phone as someone mentioned here, and when you're overseas buy the prepaid SIM chip and pop it in (you don't pay for incoming calls, so you'll never have to wory about the 15 Euro prepaid expiring after 20 minutes)....
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    they now have a data plan that for 19.99 you get GPRS data and Wifi through their hotspots... ask a rep about it. Best Move i ever made!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by luisdasilva
    ...I used to be with T-Mobile, which is good in Europe, but limited in Latin America (no data service in most countries)...
    I can only attest that my T-M service works fine in Mexico. When I press the wireless mode button, it searches 15-20 seconds for a network and Telcel service comes on. I've made and received calls to and from within Mexico as well as the US. I don't remember trying an internet connection.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I recently took advantage of the Amazon / ATTWireless promotion to upgrade to a Treo 600 from my Treo 270. I had to take a two year ATT plan. It was a huge mistake. In three months the charges for Data on my ATT plan will cost more than if I had paid retail for the Treo 600. Once you start using a Treo, it is hard to limit your usage to 8 MB a month and ATT does not have an unlimited data plan.

Coverage is another issue. While ATT may have more coverage than T-Mobile, T-Mobile seems to do a much better job of saturating coverage in the area it serves, at least in Boston. There is equal coverage in the downtown area but I get spotty coverage at my home where I used to get a good signal from T-Mobile.

Based on my experience, I would stay away from ATT Wireless.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    they now have a data plan that for 19.99 you get GPRS data and Wifi through their hotspots... ask a rep about it. Best Move i ever made!
    Have you actually had a bill come through where they only charged you $19.99 for both GPRS and WiFi access?
    yes guys<
    Brady99,
    AT&T does have an unlimited data plan for Treos. It's 49.99/mo., but if you are a heavy user (I use around 150mb/mo.), its a lot cheaper than buying your data by the kb.
    Their customer service does suck, but I tend to be a persistent SOB when I call them and I just escalate up through their supervisors until I get what I want.
    Does anybody know about the xingular reception in San Jose, Ca area?