1.    #1  
    I've been without T-Mobile service now for over 48 hours due to hurricane Frances. It's an "act of God" and I understand that. What I don't understand however is how Cingular and AT&T GSM is still available and why T-Mobile doesn't have any agreement with them to allow us to use their network, especially during emergencies like this. In times past I've had no trouble logging on to any of the networks showing up as available but not now. When I called customer service (on my daughters Sprint phone) they were incredibly short and ambivalent. Living in Florida includes tropical storms and the like. If T-Mobile's network is the more vulnerable one, perhaps its time to switch. If it weren't for their great date rates, I would have switched already.

Frustrated in the aftermath,

Bruce
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I'm sorry that FL has had 2 back to back, you've had enough to deal with!! I'm not a really knowledgable T600 user but I will just offer a possibility. It may be that T-Mobile does not use the same frequencies that Cingular and AT&T use so you may not be able to roam on their systems.

I also work an electric utility in Georgia and would offer one other consideration. Most cellphone providers provide mulitple sources of electricity to their central network equpment. As far as the towers are concerned, most have a battery system at the base of the tower that will provide ridethru for momentary and short duration outages but not all of them have generators for longer outages. I don't know the exact circumstances with T-mobile in FL but I'm sure that they are working to restore service. Anytime their service is not available they lose money so they have every reason to restore service as soon as they can. I hope that your service is restored soon, keep safe.
  3.    #3  
    Only last week I was able to log onto Cingular's network and last month, AT&T's. Perhaps there has been a change in their service or perhaps the circumstances of their own systems poetential to be overloaded, blocked us out. I did find out through researching news articles that Cingular and AT&T had purchased generators to provide backup power for their networks. I also discovered that T-Mobile is providing free WiFi at their Florida hotspots. But I'd much rather have cell service than WiFi, besides... their WiFi service is probably down as well. It appears that T-Mobile was not as prepared as other services. Thanks for your reply and the opportunity to air my frustration.
    www.riverontheweb.com

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    No problem, I can only imagine the frustration a lot of Floridians are feeling right now. I live in NE Georgia and the rains are about an hour away...won't be anything like what rolled through Florida but it will be a good bit of rain just the same.

I hope T-Mobile gets it together, no service means lost revenue. With the costs of building back hurricane damaged plant, they should be working to get service back online asap. Take care and stay safe.
    Most likely T-Mobile did have backup power for the cellsites, but perhaps not an adequate amount. They may have only been relying on battery stacks to power the site for temporary problems...not for massive lengthy power outages.

Technically...T-Mobile customers can roam on ATTWS or Cingular, but it is up to ATT and Cingular to let them....and up to T-mobile how they want to deal with the roaming fees in an emergency situation like this.
  6.    #6  
    I hope that one of the things that will come out of this hurricane experience will be an agreement for GSM providers to share signal and dispense with roaming fees in emergencies.
    www.riverontheweb.com

I live in the North Miami area (just south of Broward County) and I had cell service on T-Mobile, but my parents were having real problems with their AT&T service both while they were at my house and also back in Palm Beach county. The ways of cell service are mysterious.
    I know that here in WI, USA, my Cingular account roams freely onto AT&T's network as well as TMob's. Maybe the roam agreements in Florida are different. Weird. Might want to post this question at www.howardforums.com to see what they have to say about it.

-WC-
    I just wanted to let y'all know that in the aftermath of Ivan, T-Mo is the only service that was dependable. I suddenly found myself company communications officer as I had the only cell phone that was both receiving and sending calls from the time the eye hit right on through. Even as recently as last night Cingular was still giving me busy signals, although I found that the roaming was great to AT&T as we're working in some of the harder hit local areas.

BTW, just got my power back 45 minutes ago. YAY!
    I have to ditto that last response. After Hurricane Charley, I was in Port Cahrlotte helping my in-laws recover, and my T-Mobile service was a God-send. It was the only communication I had between folks down there and the rest of the family who mobilized to bring supplies. Curiously, all the times before Charley when I'd visit the in-laws I had no service, but when it was needed, they came through. Plus, T-Mobile made free or deeply discounted service available to Charley victims.