1.    #1  
    There are a bunch of press releases dating back a few years about T-Mobile announcing a US rollout of EDGE services but nothing very recent on the subject. Is EDGE available from TMobile? Everywhere? In what cities if not.
    Is anybody out there using an EDGE capable phone with T-Mobile service?
    What is EDGE?
  3.    #3  
    Enhanced Datarate for GSM Evolution.
    The 2.5 G migration path for GSM that has data rates
    that peak somewhere around 380 kbs but with a more
    typical data rate of 90 kbs. AT&T already has it.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I haven't read or heard anything recently about T-Mobile rolling out EDGE or doing any trials of it in the US.
    I believe their testbed of EDGE is in Albuquerque of all places
    Quote Originally Posted by azek01
    I believe their testbed of EDGE is in Albuquerque of all places
    They must be trying to see if the speed is faster than the smoke signals coming from the reservation.

No slight intended for any NA's reading this.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Their main customer service center is there. I guess that's why the test is there.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I asked a T-Mobile CSR about this and the T650 tonight and she didn't know anything about either thing. After I explained that EDGE was the next gen of GPRS she says "gee, you are an educated user" to which I responded "gee, you are an uneducated CSR". I was friendly about it and she knew I was joking but it really struck me as funny. Anyway, I'm not looking for EDGE from T-Mobile any time soon. AT&T has done a lot more with EDGE but I'm not enamored with the service plans.
    I believe ATTW (soon part of Cingular) has rolled out Edge in a few major markets...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I believe ATTW (soon part of Cingular) has rolled out Edge in a few major markets...
    According to their coverage map they have it all over.

Question; I believe that EDGE is simply a compressed version of GPRS and if so, would we really need a new radio for this or do the service providers simply need to upgrade their equipment we would need a software upgrade to do the decompression?
    When signed up with Cingular for Treo in August, there was a proviso in contract that upgrade in system may require replacement of phone in 12 to 24 months. Unfortunately TN was not one of states listed - oh well.
    Nokia 6340+(M100-> M130)->Treo600->Treo680