1.    #1  
    FINALLY my contract with Sprint is up so I'm considering moving to a new provider. One of the issues with Sprint is that my wife is a medical student at NJ Medical School and their coverage is horrendous.

So, anyone have any luck with T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular or ATT??

Help me find a good provider!!
    Verizon. You will probably find unamimous agreement on this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldTymeVisorMan
    FINALLY my contract with Sprint is up so I'm considering moving to a new provider. One of the issues with Sprint is that my wife is a medical student at NJ Medical School and their coverage is horrendous.

So, anyone have any luck with T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular or ATT??

Help me find a good provider!!
    If you prefer GSM/GRPS (travel out of the US frequently...etc') you probably want to go with AT&T Wireless.
    Had both T-Mobile (3 years) and recently AT&T Wireless and signal wise it's apples to oranges, no more dead spots (or at least much less).
    In the city itself T-Mobile coverage is pretty bad (midtown during the work week good luck getting an outgoing call through).
    In NJ as well, the AWS coverage if far better than TMo.

Hope this helps,
    Ix.

BTW, does anyone want GMAIL invites? I have 6 or so which I'd love to share with fellow Treo users. PM me with your email and I'll send you the invites.
    My experience is different from ixtab1970s. I live in Times Square, and travel all over the country to the tune of 150,000 flown miles a year. I was on Verizon for many years, and happy with everything except the cost.

When I bought my Treo600 last November, I selected T-Mobile, and I couldn't be happier. The coverage here in NYC, at least in Manhattan and Queens, is easily as good as Verizon has ever been. Though there was trouble getting a data (GPRS) connection in midtown during business hours (noon to 5pm M-F) for a couple of months at the beginning of the year, but T-Mobile "fixed" whatever the problem was in Feb or March, and it's been fine ever since. I never have a problem getting a data connection or voice call though, and I never drop calls.

My travels take me to major cities, and the T-Mobile service has always been as good or better than the other carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Cingular). I don't know that this holds true for the more rural areas in the country though. Note that when looking at a carrier's rural coverage, you must take into account that the Treo600, in any form, doesn't support analog. (A number of the most rural areas only support analog service).

My cost for twice the service with T-Mobile is half what I payed a month for Verizon, and the T-Mobile customer service is really, really outstanding. If you factor in the data I use (~50-75MB/month), T-Mobile is probably an order of magnitude (10x) cheaper than Verizon.

Bill S
  5.    #5  
    I'll start digging through the plans of Verizon and T-Mobile.
    II wanted to give GSM/GPRS a try but truth be told, I'm not leaving the country so that's not a major issue.

Price plans have gotten so confusing. I am going to walk into a Verizon Wireless store (probably the one on 42nd and 6th [across the street from the Sprint Store]) and say, 'okay, make me a better deal than them and my wife and I are coming over!!

We'll see what happens.

Any more input, please let's hear it.
    Just as a cost point of reference, on T-Mobile here in NYC, I get 1000 anytime minutes, free nights AND free weekends, free roaming anywhere in the US, for $39.99 a month. I get unlimited GPRS data for an additional $19.99 a month. The "bogus" taxes and charges that all carriers add to the bill comes to about $10 a month. That's about $70 total a month.

When I was with Verizon, my plan was 600 minutes, free nights OR weekends (but not both), free roaming anywhere in the US and it cost me $75 a month, plus more than $25 in "bogus" taxes. My data minutes (also hispeed, but Verizon's CDMA system uses 1xrtt not GPRS) came out of my 600 minute pool. So my Verizon bill was always over $100 a month, for way less service. Note that I was on the National One Rate plan, which gives no roaming charges anywhere in the US, and this was more money than the current Verizon America's Choice plan, which does NOT allow for free roaming anywhere in the US, just free roaming if you are using a Verizon tower. If you sign up for a data plan with Verizon, so your data minutes don't come out of your voice minutes plan, expect to spend way more money.

I'm not a T-Mobile shill, nor do I think they're the best thing since sliced bread, but right now (not necessarily a year from now), living in midtown manhattan, and traveling a LOT, this is really a no brainer for me. The plan is better, the service is better, and it's easily half the price.

YMMV,

Bill S
    Verizon seems to be the only carrier that works throughout Columbia University.

Additionally, I've noted that other carrier coverage is spotty in the Boston Metro area. Verizon seems to 'win' hands down here too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the last person to be a Verizon shill. I'd love to leave Verizon for a Tmo, Sprint, etc. - but just don't know with whom.

I live in the UWS are and don't travel much. When I do travel it is generally to CA, MA, NJ and D.C. My folks live in Long Island, so it is absolutely necessary that I have converage there. I wish I had the time to "test out" another carrier while keeping my Verizon phone. Life and work obligations don't allow that right now and that's why I seek opinions from others who may have gone through this or familiar with the coverage areas I'm speaking if.

Quote Originally Posted by tvBilly
    My experience is different from ixtab1970s. I live in Times Square, and travel all over the country to the tune of 150,000 flown miles a year. I was on Verizon for many years, and happy with everything except the cost.

When I bought my Treo600 last November, I selected T-Mobile, and I couldn't be happier. The coverage here in NYC, at least in Manhattan and Queens, is easily as good as Verizon has ever been. Though there was trouble getting a data (GPRS) connection in midtown during business hours (noon to 5pm M-F) for a couple of months at the beginning of the year, but T-Mobile "fixed" whatever the problem was in Feb or March, and it's been fine ever since. I never have a problem getting a data connection or voice call though, and I never drop calls.

My travels take me to major cities, and the T-Mobile service has always been as good or better than the other carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Cingular). I don't know that this holds true for the more rural areas in the country though. Note that when looking at a carrier's rural coverage, you must take into account that the Treo600, in any form, doesn't support analog. (A number of the most rural areas only support analog service).

My cost for twice the service with T-Mobile is half what I payed a month for Verizon, and the T-Mobile customer service is really, really outstanding. If you factor in the data I use (~50-75MB/month), T-Mobile is probably an order of magnitude (10x) cheaper than Verizon.

Bill S
    I thinkk Verizon is the best coverage-wise, but I need GSM since I sometimes wake up and find myself having to leave for another country for one reason or another. So, I have Cingular. I used to be on AT&T, and switched. They share towers anyway now, or so my brother tells me (AT&T employee), but I needed to get away from AT&T's crappy customer service anyway.

Under AT&T, and when I first signed up with Cingular, I used to never get coverage near the Catskill / Hudson area - Hunter, etc. Cingular's roaming agreements seem to have greatly improved recently though, since I now get pretty coverage up there. I am roaming primarily on CellularOne towers, and I can use GPRS roaming. Hope this helps!!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>