Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is the difference between an mMode plan and a data plan on AT&T?
    Is there a difference in speed?
    i was wondering the same thing-- anyone know?
    You can't use mMode with your Treo?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  4. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I looked into this issue. I have a T600 through ATT wireless. The mmode plan IS the data plan. I opted for the not so cheap $24.95/month unlimited mmode plan. I used to have the unlimited PDA plan, before they offered the unlimited mmode, which cost a whopping $49.95/month. The service is exactly the same. The only caveat is that the sales rep told me that with mmode you can't tether your phone to a computer (how they would know - I'm not sure).
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I looked into this issue. I have a T600 through ATT wireless. The mmode plan IS the data plan. I opted for the not so cheap $24.95/month unlimited mmode plan. I used to have the unlimited PDA plan, before they offered the unlimited mmode, which cost a whopping $49.95/month. The service is exactly the same. The only caveat is that the sales rep told me that with mmode you can't tether your phone to a computer (how they would know - I'm not sure).

You just saved me $25/month. You ROCK!!!!
    Be the change you want to see in the World --Ghandi
    Hey cecat!
    I just called AT&T (I'm also on the rip-off 49.99/mo. unlimited data plan) and asked to be switched to the unlimited mmode. I think they were just trying to scare me off, but they said that if I switched that I would have "limited web access". Not limited mb's, but just limited as to where I can surf. Does this mean I'll be locked intoČ
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    Hey cecat!
    I just called AT&T (I'm also on the rip-off 49.99/mo. unlimited data plan) and asked to be switched to the unlimited mmode. I think they were just trying to scare me off, but they said that if I switched that I would have "limited web access". Not limited mb's, but just limited as to where I can surf. Does this mean I'll be locked intoČ
    I don't think they can limit where you surf beforehand, but they can charge you for violations. The most obvious "violation" would be anything that doesn't go through the wap.mobile.attwireless.net:8080 proxy.
    The rest of my previous post got cut off. What I was asking cecat was whether with mMode I would be limited to looking only at what's available through their lousy limited portal (I've tried it on my wife's Nokia), or if it would be no different than I my current full internet access through Blazer. Do you know? P.S. I won't be using it to connect my Treo to a laptop since I don't own a laptop.
    See the threads on T-Mobile's T-Zones vs. unlimited internet (If the big Treocentral crash hasn't removed them). T-Zones is like M-Mode, which is only wap browsing, and not full html browsing. Some larger pages won't come in, and neither will AOL mail or internet banking. You can get quite a bit, though.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Thanks Levyesq!
    If that's the case, then I'll just stay with the unlimited data plan for now. I just wish it wasn't such a ripoff, although I do average about 150 mb/mo.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Unless things have changed since last December, the difference is mmode is a limited content area run just for AT&T wireless customers using cell phones looking for news, weather, sports, movie listings, etc.... The T600 is a true internet device and doesn't use the mmode area. I got the impression you can't get out to the web from mmode. I have been paying for an internet data plan and would love to save some money, but I don't think mmode will keep most of us happy. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    So whats the consensus...? I just signed up for the $25 mMode plan tonight, and the rep told me it would give me 'unlimited web browsing' on my phone (don't know if he knows I have a T600). He also warned me several times that I'd have to pay extra if I connected my phone to a laptop.

But now I'm getting worried -- for the people that did this a month ago, were you charged extra for normal web browsing and other internet access on the T600?
    I signed up for the $25 unlimited mmode and am always checking out my online account statement to check my usage out.

I know for a fact that they care about MBs and the big asterik is if you go over 100MB for two straight months, you're automatically moved to the $79.99 plan.

Right now I use mmode (which is good for quick info, scores, etc) and snapper for my work's imap. I havent had a full months bill yet, but my first full month of $25 unlimited mmode ends on 10/10 and I'll post if ATT charges me and arm and a leg above the unlimited mmode price.

-- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  14. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo
    Hey cecat!
    Sorry to take so long to reply. No limits found so far.
  15. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dordal
    So whats the consensus...? I just signed up for the $25 mMode plan tonight, and the rep told me it would give me 'unlimited web browsing' on my phone (don't know if he knows I have a T600). He also warned me several times that I'd have to pay extra if I connected my phone to a laptop.

But now I'm getting worried -- for the people that did this a month ago, were you charged extra for normal web browsing and other internet access on the T600?
    Nope - no extra charges. Just $25.
    So then does anybody know how they figure out whether or not you've 'tethered' your laptop and are using that for browsing? Seems like data is just data and they wouldn't have a clue as long as you don't exceed 100MB, but maybe I'm wrong...
  17. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo
    Unless things have changed since last December, the difference is mmode is a limited content area run just for AT&T wireless customers using cell phones looking for news, weather, sports, movie listings, etc.... The T600 is a true internet device and doesn't use the mmode area. I got the impression you can't get out to the web from mmode. I have been paying for an internet data plan and would love to save some money, but I don't think mmode will keep most of us happy. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
    I have had the unlimited mmode for 2 months. You can surf through browser and access whatever sites you like. There is no difference in data access - except the price - compared to the more expensive PDA plans. Oh yeah and you aren't suppose to tether your phone to a laptop (how they would know I am not sure)...
    Last edited by cec; 10/06/2004 at 01:31 PM.
  18. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikrampant
    I I know for a fact that they care about MBs and the big asterik is if you go over 100MB for two straight months, you're automatically moved to the $79.99 plan.

-- Vikram
    I have been over this limit for 2 straight months on the 24.99 unlimited mmode with no automatic change. I will keep you posted if this changes. Also the unlimited PDA plan costs 49.99. No sense throwing away your money if you don't have to.
    does the mMode unlimited plan also allow for pop access for emails? i was told in the past that this would not be possible so i'm currently on the 8mb plan for $19.99 for the treo 600 on at&t.

thanks
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    Any updates on this from users who are on the mMode with a treo?

My question is, if you have an Edge enabled device, can you access Edge data rates through mModes? Or do you need one of the more expensive data plans?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast