1.    #1  
    Ok.. Bought a new Treo180 off eBay to replace an old unit. Unit apparently was branded VoiceStream, not T-Mobile as advertised. Got a couple problems..

First Problem - I'm stuck roaming on Cingular. The unit doesn't see T-Mo when searching for a network. Talked with T-Mo techs ad nasuem.. CLUELESS SOB'S - "Well, we have a roaming agreement with Cingular, so that's ok.." NO! I'm paying for T-MO, I expect to be on T-Mo network..

Second Problem - I can't get the GPRS Updater for T-MO! I have a copy of v112, but that says that T-MO doesn't offer network services. T-Mo's website won't download their v111 updater.. according to a tech, since they don't sell the 270 anymore, they don't support it either.. They suggested talking to PalmOne.. no response yet.

So.. Anyone have a copy of the v111 T-Mo GPRS Upgrader, and/or a clue why I can't see the T-Mo network?
    Last edited by WorldCTZen; 08/06/2004 at 03:11 PM.
    "It's hard to find my guiding light with this lantern in the way..." Diogenes
    I can't find my original updater file for the 180g and I just got a replacement one at eBay.

Sadly it is not GPRS updated and the T-Mobile site link does not work.

I have emailed T-Mobile and already struck out in Tech Support.

I need the 180g T-Mobile GPRS updater.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimzak
    I can't find my original updater file for the 180g and I just got a replacement one at eBay.

Sadly it is not GPRS updated and the T-Mobile site link does not work.

I have emailed T-Mobile and already struck out in Tech Support.

I need the 180g T-Mobile GPRS updater.

Thanks.
    I have the file (v1.11)! BUT... It's an install for Apple Mac OS. Could this help?
    Visor Deluxe (Green)>Treo 180g>Treo 600 (GSM)*>*Treo 650 (GSM)
    Thanks!

However, I need the Windoze PC version.

Anyone else?

I get the feeling that I'm part of a rapidly shrinking club using the 180g.

--------------

Visor Deluxe (black) x 2--> Treo 180g x 3 ---> ??? (hopefully not T-Mobile)
    Last edited by jimzak; 08/23/2004 at 06:40 PM. Reason: forgot my lineage
  5.    #5  
    So.. Finally got a decent response from T-Mo.. Seems the unit is defective, so they're gonna replace it.. prolly preset GPRS..
    However, here's my workaround.. Use at your own risk.. logic says this should work, but I've never done EXACTLY this, successfully
    Borrow a Friend's Cingular Sim card long enough to run the GPRS v112 updater.. be near a computer you can synch with when you do this!
    My first Treo was unbranded, and I used Cingular GPRS on it.. when I swapped out to T-Mo, I just threw the Sim in and selected T-Mo Internet in the network settings, no worries..
    And since Cingular and T-Mo are in bed together, shouldn't be too much problem with branded units..
    Addressing your first problem: When I travel to California with my T-Mobile Treo it automatically switches to Cingular. I don't think T-Mobile has branded service there. Cingular works fine, however, and there is no roaming charge for voice or data.
  7.    #7  
    T-Mo leases Cingular towers in CA, but my unit always recognized it as T-Mo service. As you mentioned, there's no roaming charge for voice, but it was a bit annoying having it tell me I was roaming when I wasn't...
    FYI, the new unit had GPRS pre-installed, with the new slider SIM cover (YAY!). There was a brief second where it tried to tell me I was on USA PACBELL again after I synched, but otherwise it's been acting perfect.. I soooo missed having a Treo... it's my preciousss.. yesss...
    My theory is that you were on TMO all the time but did not know it - or at least the network evolved faster than your Treo ROM updating. If you had gone to the Cingular updated ROM, you would have been fine.

I thnk what happened is that the old ROM did not know about MVNOs - in other words, the situation where two networks share the same infrastructure. In that scenario, your phone sees it is connected to a particular network but also knows to check to see if there is a secondary as opposed to the primary network identifier to display on your phone. Your Treo continued to show Cingular but it may well have been operating on the MVNO of T-Mobile if you are in California or Nevada. The same thing would happen to a Cingular customer in New York where the network is actually TMOs.

In short, Cingular and TMO swapped network areas to fill in some gaps. They use each others towers in those areas but only the newest phones understand the MVNO structure and older ones will show the wrong network operator name. It has no effect on your billing in most cases.
    I NEED THE MOTOROLA V878 GPRS SETUP CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT? OR THE GSM DATA? ANY INFO E-MAIL ME AT BANGALISTICS@HOTMAIL.COM. o6 TEXT MY PHONE AT (613) 864-2322
    The old ROMs on T-Mobile phones do not have the ability to detect when they are connecting to a tower that was originally Cingular only, or vice-versa. On the newer phones/sim cards, whatever tower you are connected to, the phone display will say "T-Mobile" (except in CA, I am told). This is simply because of the agreement to let customers from both carriers use both carriers' towers...that's all. The old ROMs don't know about the agreement.