Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had the GSM Cingular version for about 2 months, and the last few weeks, I will be standing still and on a call and the signal strength will go from 3 bars down to none in 5 seconds. It also seems to have difficulties switching from 1 tower to another, taking the signal down to nothing and not changing towers (and thus getting 4 bars) until I hang up a call, and then it bounces from 0 strength to 4 bars.

I have tried a "factory reset" and no good, I am also awaiting a replacement phone from P1. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and if it was fixed by the replacement.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I have Cingular GSM Treo and have had that same problem, when I begin the call and have full signal strength and have the level of the signal to fall off dramatically during the call even though I have not physically moved. Seems like the signal just comes in and out during the call rather than being at a constrant level.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I wouldn't even mind having the signal bars rise and fall, but the problem is that it goes down to zero and disconennects with such regularity, that I can't have an important phone call on the treo for fear I will constantly lose the connection.

Have you tried a replacement to see it that helps, or is this just an inherent problem with the Cingular or GSM treos in general?

Thanks
    hi. I have a cingular unlocked treo and I have the same problem. I use it in the middle east and thought it was a network problem. maybe it is treo 600 in general. have to see other treos than cingular. bye
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Anyone have a Cingular GSM that does NOT have this problem?
    Same experience here. But I experienced the same with T-MO and my T270. I assumed it was my coverage area or something environmental.
    I have the same problem, but so does my wife. She uses a Motorola V400. I have spoken to Cingular several times about the problem. Their response was that dozens of things can affect the signal. Now that helps narrow it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatan
    I have the same problem, but so does my wife. She uses a Motorola V400. I have spoken to Cingular several times about the problem. Their response was that dozens of things can affect the signal. Now that helps narrow it down.
    Interesting.....my wife and I also have this problem and she too uses a V400. Cingular tells me it will get better when the merger with AT&T is done since they will pick up new towers.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    All of this would be fine with the exception that I NEVER had this problem with my old Nokia (5340i I believe). It did GSM as well as TDMA and analog. I never dropped a call ever. Well, I am hoping that my replacement should be here any day, and hopefully that will work. Some of you might want to try a factory reset. It seemed to help me for a few days.

Use backupman or similar, make a back up, do a soft reset while holding "k" and "<-" (I believe, do a search here on factory reset). This seemed to work for a few days with better coverage.
    All I know is that I've had numerous calls 'dropped' since swithcing to the t6. It really chaps my *** that I spent all this coin to upgrade to a phone that performs poorer than my previous T20 (I forget what it's called). Is this just something we have to deal with?
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have had the GSM Cingular version for about 2 months, and the last few weeks, I will be standing still and on a call and the signal strength will go from 3 bars down to none in 5 seconds. It also seems to have difficulties switching from 1 tower to another, taking the signal down to nothing and not changing towers (and thus getting 4 bars) until I hang up a call, and then it bounces from 0 strength to 4 bars.

I have tried a "factory reset" and no good, I am also awaiting a replacement phone from P1. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and if it was fixed by the replacement.

Thanks in advance.
    When I first started using Cingular I had little problems with this and then about 2 weeks ago....I started having major problems when on Cingular Extend (ATT in this case)...I raised a fuss with tech support...the kept passing me up to diff levels of tech support. Nothing fixed the problem. Then one day...this past weekend...everything got better again...perfect? No...but at least I am not losing signal between towers...I do still have intermittent problems when on an ATT tower...but not nearly as bad as the last 2 weeks. I do think the Cingular/ATT merger will help. I am thinking of testing T-MO...in our area T-MO coverage is great...my wife has T-MO and has not signal problems at all (only uses TDMA though).
    KeNNethX - The gUy iS oUt tHeRe!
    I've got a cingular t600 in south texas and I haven't had any problems with signals being dropped (unless I'm way out in the sticks). compared to my v60 on t-mo, cingular signal is much better.

tok
    I think the Cingular signal issue is unique to their network- I've been on Cingular for several years, and jump to AT&T in extend areas- I've experienced the signal anomalies (signal drops from 3+ bars to nothing without changing physical location during calls) as long as I've been on Cingular- Guess I've gotten used to it and learned a level of tolerance. I'm in Seattle, W- You'd think that with all the wireless conglomorates and techy types based here, we'd get some decent tower coverage-- NO SUCH LUCK!!! Black holes everywhere.