1.    #1  
    I use ATT-WS. I am in India on business, and my Treo600 is recieving calls and I can call back to the U.S. fine. Even the GPRS is working and I can surf the web and check email etc... However, I can NOT call to other countries (execpt the U.S.) from India. I thought ATT-WS had not activated my service properly, but when I asked them, they said, that their India Service Provider Roaming partners do not allow calling to third countries. I tried 4 differrent local provider and got excellent signals from all, but none allow my to call to third countries - I can only make local calls and calls back to the U.S. I have been in Mumbai (Bombay) and Bangalore with the same results.

I travel frequently to many countries in Europe and Asia and have never experienced this. My previous GSM phone plan (from ATT-WS) did allow me to make calls to other countries from all other countries. However, this is my first time to India.

Has anyone else had this experience in India?
    Hmm...that's wierd. As an immediate and temporary solution, I recommend you buy a cheap prepaid sim over there to make international calls. Good luck...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    after more experience in Mumbia and Bangalore with their local service providers I can report the following update

Mumbia - AirTel Mumbia works very well. I can make calls to third countries and also GPRS works! Not sure why the ATT help desk said this was not possible, since it does work. BPL also works to make calls to third countries, but GPRS does not work on BPL.

Orange and MTNL do not allow making calls to third countries, but interestingly enough GPRS does work.

Bangalore - AirTel worked well for voice including the ability to call third countries, but AirTel did NOT work for GPRS. The other providers in Bangalore did support GPRS but did not allow calling to third countries.

Not sure why the differrences, but at least I was able to get the full use of the Treo in both cities. All of the local carriers had good signals.
    This is part of the joys of international roaming. GSM/GPRS is the best international standard for this (the only one actually).

Rules of thumb:
    1. Make sure you call your GSM carrier before you leave and ask to have international calling turned on. Be sure that they do not turn on th service of allowing you to make international calls from the US. Cingular did this to me and I got to France to find out I was unable to cll the US. Explain precisely what you mean - I am going to XYZ and want to be able to dial to ABC and TLA countries.
    2. Use www.gsmworld.com roaming pages to find the contact details for the local networks in the area you are visiting. Cal them and ask them what their roamning agreements are and what services you will be able to use as a roamer from ATT/Cingular/T-Mobie/Rogers/Fido network (take your pick).

Factors:
    1. Voice and Voicemail - voice calls will nearly always work but you may have problems retrieving your voicemail. There may be a special access number to get to it that you dial from outside the US or you may have to attach to a particular romaing partner to be able to access it (i.e. use select network). This is maddening when traveling - you get the calls logged to vmail but have to wait until your plane lands back in the US to get any vmails.
    2. Messaging - assume that SMS will work fine internationally but the inter-network bridges can be slower than domestic text; expect delays. Forget about MMS - IMHO it is almost a given that the inter-roaming agreements and standards will break in an MMS transaction.
    3. GPRS - this is hard to predict and really requires a call to the local network to verify that they allow your carriers GPRS to roam thru their network. Really, what is happening is that you wil be getting an IP connection thru the local network and you may be alarmed by the costs of connecting overseas when you see the invoice. The local network rebills your domestic network.

Dialing from abroad - TakePhone has some nice tools for adding prefixes to all numbers dialed. This can be more useful than having to edit your numbers to add +1 in order to dial back to the US. The + symbol merely means - whatever coutry I am in choose the international code for dialing and use it before this number e.g. +13331234567 dialed in the US would dial 0-13331234567 but in Ireland it would dial 01-13331234567.