1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how to turn off MMS messages? It doesn't seem to work properly, and all of my messages are coming in as MMS instead of SMS. I just want normal SMS messages. I don't even have a clue what this MMS stuff is, but it appeared when I started using my Treo 600.

I am using T-Mobile with my Treo 600. Is this something I can change on my Treo 600, or do I need to change it at T-Mobile?

Also, does everyone else getting the sporadic delays that I do with SMS on T-Mobile. I am about to just cancel my SMS extra message option since maybe up to 50% of the messages are delayed by more than 15 minutes. I have been using it to be notified of new email so I can check it with SnapperMail, but it is so unreliable I am not sure it is worth the $2.95 a month.

-Sim
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko
    Does anyone know how to turn off MMS messages? It doesn't seem to work properly, and all of my messages are coming in as MMS instead of SMS. I just want normal SMS messages. I don't even have a clue what this MMS stuff is, but it appeared when I started using my Treo 600.

I am using T-Mobile with my Treo 600. Is this something I can change on my Treo 600, or do I need to change it at T-Mobile?

Also, does everyone else getting the sporadic delays that I do with SMS on T-Mobile. I am about to just cancel my SMS extra message option since maybe up to 50% of the messages are delayed by more than 15 minutes. I have been using it to be notified of new email so I can check it with SnapperMail, but it is so unreliable I am not sure it is worth the $2.95 a month.

-Sim
    You need to call T-Mobil to change account. They have a way to identify your phone as text only SMS.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    You need to call T-Mobil to change account. They have a way to identify your phone as text only SMS.
    I just called T-Mobile and they say it is "a Treo setting as to how it handles the messages". I am going to check that and see. The messages have no images or non-text content. They should be considered text messages, except that they are sent as email to ****@tmomail.net .

Today I received some of my SMS messages many hours late. Does T-Mobile know how to handle SMS? So far I have not been satisfied with it all...

My Theory is that they gateway between email and SMS is what is the problem. I think that SMS phone to phone would work quickly. But I don't even know anyone else I would SMS on the T-Mobile network so that is not worth a dime to me.

-Sim
    if the text msg is > 140 characters, it willsend to TMO number as MMS.
    so far, i have no problems getting sms. have you checked with TMO CSR and see if there has any major issues related with SMS in your location?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    so far, i have no problems getting sms. have you checked with TMO CSR and see if there has any major issues related with SMS in your location?
    You have to get to the next level of tech support. The first level of support lacks the knowledge about SMS and MMS on a Treo600. The setting is at T-Mobile because initially I did not and could not receive MMS message and when I escalated my case, the 2nd level of support said, "Your phone configuration at T-Mobile is a text device only. I can fix that."

You can verify this because once you sent MMS message to your phone, it keeps ending up in the SMS side and says: "T-MobileCare@t-mobile.com/Text-Only Delivery/1 (your number here) can only receive text messages. Your picture message was delivered as text only."

Once you are set to receive MMS, any text message over 140 goes over your MMS mailbox, less goes to your SMS mailbox. This is the Treo 600 default and T-Mobile cannot control that. On text messages that is sent you as text messages, the billing is still against the SMS bucket regardless of where the T600 puts the messages.

I have not reverted back because I am still hoping that I can send picture messages to other people other than myself. But it may change as this MMS mailbox is getting rather filled up with what is normally a text message. Then I have to deal with T-Mo's 1st level of support and escalate my case again.

Hope this helps.
  7.    #7  
    I guess it is the 140 character limt, then. I was forwarding a text version of my emails to my Treo to notify me of new email. Since it didn't matter with my Treo 180, I just clipped it at 100 or something like that and it was fine. But, the SMS limit includes the subject, and I think the "From", so was probably exceeding the limits of an SMS and my Treo 600 was getting those messages at MMS.

Thanks. I have turned off the forwarding of emails anyway because T-Mobile SMS/MMS is pretty much worthless. I almost always know about emails just using an hourly SnapperMail fetch faster than the SMS/MMS notification.

Does anyone use T-Mobile SMS for business? I have complained many times about it and can not imagine using it for anything time-critical.

I like T-Mobile for the most part, but their servers and systems to support internet and email are about the worst I have ever dealt with. And their second tier support ("data group"?) is not that good either. I have never gotten anything resolved till I go to the next level, and that is outsourced to Asia, I think.

-Sim
    I have used it for several years to replace a pager. I have encountered about 3 weeks in that time where I experienced delays. Otherwise, SMS has been extremely timely.
    The MMS feature is better in the new firmware. Arrival notifications are the same time as SMS (almost like they are using SMS for notificatio) Then you have to go request the MMS contents. I like this better than the previous implementation though.