1.    #1  
    I've traveled through most of the US and in the UK and Spain with my Treo 600 (orig ATT, now "unlocked" and on the TMobile network with their VPN plan) and have had great data rates. Yesterday I went to California (San Jose) and the thing was like sipping data through a clogged straw. It actually drained my battery over the course of the afternoon just trying to check email. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it local only to the Bay Area or is it my Treo 600?
    Thanks!
    -ejaz
    It certainly is spotty. I was getting 35Kb/s yesterday. Today, the speed test at DSL reports times out.
    I'm in the east bay.
    I live in San Jose and have a TMO T600 and yes, it is very slow, almost unbearable. I'll give it a few days before I call CS.
    Have you tried the data rates over the weekend? They seem to be much better. I'm wondering if the issue is the connections to the towers themselves or the network infrastructure. I suspect the latter.
    What a coincidence. I was just visiting some friends in Berkeley and drove down to San Jose a week ago. I have T-Mobile, and every time I tried to check email using SnapperMail it would hang for 30 seconds or more about every 20 seconds. Very, very slow. It took several minutes just to do do an email check which should have taken 15 seconds or less.

Here in Atlanta it is normally pretty fast, but sporadically there are problems. If that is really the normal speed in that area of California, I would never sign up for T-Mobile there.

-Sim
    Quote Originally Posted by noisygecko
    What a coincidence. I was just visiting some friends in Berkeley and drove down to San Jose a week ago. I have T-Mobile, and every time I tried to check email using SnapperMail it would hang for 30 seconds or more about every 20 seconds. Very, very slow. It took several minutes just to do do an email check which should have taken 15 seconds or less.

Here in Atlanta it is normally pretty fast, but sporadically there are problems. If that is really the normal speed in that area of California, I would never sign up for T-Mobile there.

-Sim
    I've had similar problems for a week. At times, GPRS slows to a crawl, a couple of times I couldn'r connect for hours (Sacramento area). I have a trouble ticket in, but although they gave me a phone number, I never get called back by T-MO tech support. I got an SMS that I have not called back yet, so I called again - still no callback from T-MO.

I think there may be capacity issue at work here.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    ping times here in atlanta have been extremely long for about a week. sounds like a network issue.
    T-Mobile uses the Cingular network in California. The whole networks sucks for data on Cingular. I'm going back to Sprint now that my company is convinced they are better.
    ?? I Work in San Jose and Travel From There to the Mexico Border on a regular basis and have always only obtained 38kbps network wide but it is always smooth.One trick is to goto phone/menu/options/selectnetwork wait while searching.......lock search band to 850/1900 I have had good luck with this band locked in.I am running 3.05 Firmware and 1.12 radio unlocked Orange UK version.

As for this whole T-Mobile rides Cingular's network in Cali is not entirely true.I had Cingular and could point out several locations that T-Mobile covers and Cingular does not.More than Cingular I roam on AT&T in especially in Arizona and when you do no internet connection .Now don't all you dog pile me for stating this I have no way to confirm either way but I remember back in the early 90's when I serviced repeaters I saw a whole lot of Voicstream equipment being installed and never turned on it actually was a joke around the water cooler why a company would do so many a class network installs and not be using it.Now for those that don't know Voicstream is in bed somehow with T-Mo. This is why I think this whole Cinglar started rumor is false about T-Mo uses their system and the coverage is the exact same.If any of you have had Cingular like I did you would know how crappy their coverage is and does not compare with T-Mo....

Well I guess this article I just found at DSL reports explains it and uhhh I was wrong to a point I believe this Entity to be the original Voicstream tower network.See the article at:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9376
    Last edited by i3igal; 06/24/2004 at 01:50 AM.