1.    #1  
    I just signed up for the TMO internet plan 19.99. I still have the tzone pro grandfathered plan at this moment. I will drop the TZONE pro if TMO internet plan works out good to me.

I would like to know has anyone successfully logged into the AOL AIM, and ICQ using TMO Internet Plan on TREO 600?

I can download email (must faster than before but still lagging. not sure why??), and go on web / wap sites smoothly, but i get connection time out when I try to connect to AOL AIM and ICQ. (I would assume I can connect to those programs as all ports are opened for TMO Internet Plan)

thanks in advance.
    don't know if it helps, but I use chatter, verichat, ssh (pssh and tg-ssh) without difficulty on the unlimited plan.

I used to use AOL's AIM client... but found it to be too flakey for my tastes. It may have improved since then...
    What does "grandfathered" mean in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    I just signed up for the TMO internet plan 19.99. I still have the tzone pro grandfathered plan at this moment. I will drop the TZONE pro if TMO internet plan works out good to me.

I would like to know has anyone successfully logged into the AOL AIM, and ICQ using TMO Internet Plan on TREO 600?

I can download email (must faster than before but still lagging. not sure why??), and go on web / wap sites smoothly, but i get connection time out when I try to connect to AOL AIM and ICQ. (I would assume I can connect to those programs as all ports are opened for TMO Internet Plan)

thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart

What does "grandfathered" mean in this context?
    "grandfathered" plan means that you still have your original plan but the plan may no longer be offered but the phone company still bills you based on your original plan.

Be forwarned though that once you start adding new features, some of your old features or plan terms may change. Make sure you clarify that with the customer rep that you don't want to lose what you currently have.

Note also that TMo may not be able to revert you on your original plan once you've added features. There are postings here that has reported this.
    Ok, what's different about the T-Zone Pro grandfathered versus T-Zone Pro available today?
    Ok, what's different about the T-Zone Pro grandfathered versus T-Zone Pro available today?
    I will have to leave this with the T-Zone Pro users that still has the original subscription. I did not opt for the T-Zone Pro because I already could do all that I needed with the $19.99 internet plan, i.e. access my work email, etc, although it does not work for 180/270 telephones but ok for 600.

I believe that it was gfunkmagic in one of his postings explained the difference between the T-Zone offerings.
  7.    #7  
    the tzone pro grandfathered plan includes 100mms and the current tzone pro doesn't
    I think it is ok to drop my tzone pro since I get much better connection speed and support plus I sti get 100mms from the internet plan. only 10 dollars more and it worths for it
    I see...

I just upgraded to T-Zones pro from regular T-Zones to get the IMAP ports unblocked.
    Seems that all ports are unblocked.

So other thatn the 100mms, what's the difference between T-Zones Pro and the $19.99 internet plan.

I'll say it again, T-Mo does a really crappy job explaining this stuff!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I will have to leave this with the T-Zone Pro users that still has the original subscription. I did not opt for the T-Zone Pro because I already could do all that I needed with the $19.99 internet plan, i.e. access my work email, etc, although it does not work for 180/270 telephones but ok for 600.

I believe that it was gfunkmagic in one of his postings explained the difference between the T-Zone offerings.
    huh? I used the $19.99 unlimited T-Mo data plan quite nicely opn my 270 for over a year.
  10.    #10  
    I see...

I just upgraded to T-Zones pro from regular T-Zones to get the IMAP ports unblocked.
    Seems that all ports are unblocked.

So other thatn the 100mms, what's the difference between T-Zones Pro and the $19.99 internet plan.

I'll say it again, T-Mo does a really crappy job explaining this stuff!!!
    i was told tzone pro supposely only access to the email account which you setup via TMOBILE.com. It was never intended to open the ports for users downloading email via pop3 / imap directly.

yes, all ports are unblocked for now.
    in So Ca, i get better / faster speed on 19.99 internet plan rahter than from Tzone pro. not sure what the different is. i get the 100mms on the 19.99 internet plan too.

i was just tired off i could get access to the website on and off, and i can get better (hopefully) or more support from tmo when it comes to a problem with TMO Internet Plan. if they see you have the tzone pro, and call for the issue regarding accessing to the internet / web (not wap), or anyting other than tzone page, they will not support.
    I'm REALLY pissed off about the fuzziness of the data plan descriptions! I'm just waiting for someone to file a lawsuit over what could possibly be described as deceptive marketing and advertising practices.

By the way, can anyone ever show me where the $19.95 plan is even offered? The T-Mo web site is so full of crap that I can't even find that!
    I second that one! I've been searching all over the place to no avail...and I DREAD calling and talking to a rep. I have TMO Unlimited for $19.99 and I have no idea what it is. My browsing connection pretty much sucks. It is unclear to me if the TMO Unlimited is more for use w/ my laptop. Should I have T-Zones Pro for $9.99 instead for use with my Treo 600?

Thanks!
  13.    #13  
    the tmo unlimited is liste 29.99 on their website as the stand alone plan. it is 19.99 adds on top of your voice plan (29.99 and above).

it only has short description of what tmo internet plan can do. pretty much you consider it as a 56k dial-up modem (which it is up to 56kbps speed for GPRS anyway) with "always-on" connectivity.

regarding the speed, YMMV depending on your location. during the day time, in So ca, i can get very slow speed, and during the evening, it is fast. go figure.

i use desktop at work to surf, and i have cable modem at home. the tmo internet plan is just a nice to have so i can bring treo with me during traveling, and no more laptop (of course, it is nice to have a laptop to watch dvd in the flight.. different story :P )

spywax: depending on what do you wnat to do with treo on the net, it drives you to use tzone pro or tmo internet plan.

as i mentioned, i am very tired of not having full access to the net on my treo.
    TMO Tech support supports any issues on the tzone page and access email via the email account setup in the tmobile.com.
    they do not support any pop3 or imap, nor any web browsing functionalities from treo at all.

do you heavily use treo on the net? do you chat using treo? do you do stream audio files or shoutcast (sp??) from treo?
    do you use VNC to remote access / control your desktop / laptop?
    do you want to yell at TMO CSR or TECH or get some credit min / $$ (if every they would give) when you cannot connect to the net from treo with TMO Internet plan (they must have to support TMO Internet plan with treo as they sell both items, and you, as a customer, have the right to get some refunds if your service is temporate not available for a period of time. or at least refund the pro-rated fee :P )?

it is your call

i added tmo internet plan. and i still have my tzone pro, i think i am so ready to have them to remove my tzone pro. how about you?
    At one point (and still may be) there were two major differences between the different plans. 1) The ports that are open 2) Amount of transfered data

T-Zones - includes unlimited Internet e-mail and Mobile Web content (provided by T-Mobile)
    T-Zones Pro - includes unlimited access to corporate e-mail, unlimited Internet e-mail, and Mobile Web content (provided by T-Mobile)
    Unlimited - all ports open giving access to any web site (important one here is the ability to access secure sites)

I agree that T-Mobile is not real clear on the differences. There have been many threads here discussing the differences and yet it is still difficult to understand.

...David