1.    #1  
    I just did a side-by-side speed test with a colleague who is paying for the $19.95 unlimited data plan. I'm using the free WAP plan.

He achieved 14Kb/s while I timed out. I later achieved 1Kb/s Whoopee!!! :-(

Anyway, the only other difference I know of is that he has not upgraded to the new firmware.

Anyone else care to comment on what they're seeing?
    Using an updated firmware unlocked T-Mobile GSM T600 I get the following results:

1. Bmeter maxes out in a quick test here at 7062 bytes/sec. That would be 7KB/sec

2. dslreports mobile speed test gives 34-36 kbits/sec

This is in my basement where I get 1 bar when I sit the right way
    So... I wouldn't blame the firmware upgrade. I am suspicious that it really isn't the normal free WAP speed either though, although I can't test that.
  3.    #3  
    It's official. They're crippling free wap. I just got off the phone with a CS person who was happy to sell me the $4.99 T-Zones package. Her comment was "well the free WAP plan will always be slower". It wasn't when I started! I don't mind paying for good data service. But... We'll see. If it is still crippled to the point of non-usability (like the free WAP is) I'll probably drop.

What pisses me off is the fact the T-Mo has absolutely NO comprehensible descriptions of their GPRS offerings anywhere.

What plan do you have Jaytee?
    I have the $19.99 unlimited plan
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart
    It's official. They're crippling free wap. I just got off the phone with a CS person who was happy to sell me the $4.99 T-Zones package. Her comment was "well the free WAP plan will always be slower". It wasn't when I started! I don't mind paying for good data service. But... We'll see. If it is still crippled to the point of non-usability (like the free WAP is) I'll probably drop.

What pisses me off is the fact the T-Mo has absolutely NO comprehensible descriptions of their GPRS offerings anywhere.
    WAP access and speed were concerns of mine as well with the new firmware. I upgraded my firmware three weeks ago with the CROW version and have seen no increase OR decrease in WAP speed or change in access.

I am of the opinion that there are more knowledgeble folks in this community than those most people talk to at t-mo (please note, i am not flaming ALL t-mo reps).

of course t-mo would rather sell you a premium service with premium speed, but they aren't crippling anything, as far as i can tell.

- cb
    copper treo 680/t-mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by duoart

What plan do you have Jaytee?
    That's funny. Everytime I call T-Mo, they tell me the free WAP option DOES NOT EXIST, and my only options are $4.95, 9.95, or 19.95. I stopped trying a month ago when Jenyfur started getting similar replies.

I totally agree with your last sentence, too.
  7.    #7  
    I'm on the $9.99 plan now. I seem to have full access. No blocked ports. Excellent performance off hours. gets a little slow during the day on weekdays. $4.99 plan block all ports except 80 and whatever POP and SMTP use.

I'm hearing rumblings that even the $9,99 plan will be screwed with and I'll be forced to the $19.99 plan. At that point I'll consider moving to Sprint where $15 a month buys you faster service.

ARE YOU LISTENING T-MO????
    I don't know what plan I am using now - but it works well. I was on the Unlimited plan for $19.95, but I wasn't happy about inconsistent service. At one point I had no data access for a week. So I dumped the plan, switched to the t-zones set-up on my phone, and it now works great.

I still get access at the same speed I had on the unlimited internet plan. I am assuming I am on the WAP plan, because there are no T-Zones charges on my bill (no data charges at all). Recently, data service is more consistent, though that may be because of my firmware upgrade or it may be that T-Mobile's service is just better in my area now.

The only downside: I don't get Shoutcast stations and I can't access secure websites anymore.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    How do i get free wap for tmo? I use tzones now.
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner