1.    #1  
    Good morning!

I know next to nothing about GSM, and I'm hoping to remedy that. Feel free to point me to a better location if I'm off topic here.

I am looking into getting a Treo, mostly because I would like the convenience of my cell phone and pda together. My carrier is EDGE wireless, who has only had GSM service for a few months in my area. Customer support has been completely clueless when I have called trying to get information, so I thought I'd ask my question here.

Logically, to me, a GSM phone should work on a GSM system, right? I realize that phones come "locked" to a specific carrier, but if I were to get an "unlocked" phone, is there any reason why a Treo 600 would not work on the EDGE Wireless system? (www.edgewireless.com)

We do have Sprint in this area, but the coverage is not nearly as good as Edge. We do a lot of backcountry, and Edge is the only carrier around here that gets signal in some of the remote areas of Idaho. SO, I'd like to stay with Edge if at all possible.

Also, am I correct in assuming a Treo won't get signal on a TDMA network? Edge's "regular" service is TDMA.

Thank you for any help that may be forthcoming.
    GSM is not compatible with CDMA (i.e. Sprint) networks.
    An locked Treo will not accept another carrier's SIM card. (i.e. with a Treo locked to AT&T, you would not be able to put a Cingular SIM card in it.)
    I don't believe the GSM Treo will work on a TDMA network either.

You might be able to find some more useful info here.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskies4all
    Logically, to me, a GSM phone should work on a GSM system, right? I realize that phones come "locked" to a specific carrier, but if I were to get an "unlocked" phone, is there any reason why a Treo 600 would not work on the EDGE Wireless system? (www.edgewireless.com)
    The Treo should work on the EDGE network. I know AT&T phones roam on the EDGE GSM network w/o issues.

Also, am I correct in assuming a Treo won't get signal on a TDMA network? Edge's "regular" service is TDMA.
    It will not get a signal on a TDMA network.

You could do what I do and get a muti-band phone (like a Siemens S46) that can do both TDMA and GSM. I then move the SIM back and forth between the Siemes and the Treo.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  4.    #4  
    Ok, so if I were to get an "unlocked" Treo, I'd need a SIM card that was somehow programmed with Edge Wireless' info, correct? Would a SIM card that worked in one of their other GSM phones work in the Treo?

<edited: I assume from the second reply, that this should work, correct?>

When I've called Edge's customer support, they just say that they can't tell me anything about that phone because they don't sell it.

The reason I mentioned Sprint is that you can get a Treo for Sprint CDMA service. However, I'd rather not switch carriers, so this is a last resort.

Mostly, I want to know that the phone is going to work before I spend $$$$$ for this.
    Last edited by Huskies4all; 05/19/2004 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Got an answer in the middle of posting
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Ok, so if I were to get an "unlocked" Treo, I'd need a SIM card that was somehow programmed with Edge Wireless' info, correct? Would a SIM card that worked in one of their other GSM phones work in the Treo?

When I've called Edge's customer support, they just say that they can't tell me anything about that phone because they don't sell it.

The reason I mentioned Sprint is that you can get a Treo for Sprint CDMA service. However, I'd rather not switch carriers, so this is a last resort.
    You should be able to take the SIM out of the EDGE phone and put it into the Treo. I haven't read about anyone doing this, but I sure can't see why it wouldn't work.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    I suggest you go to a store in your area that carries the T600 (if you can find one). Pop your SIM card into the phone, and see if it works.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    You should have no problems using any SIM card from any provider in the world in an unlocked GSM Treo. I have used a variety of SIM cards (from Switzerland, Bulgaria and US operators) in my unit without any problems.
    As other people have mentioned, the GSM Treo 600 is a GSM only phone - you can not roam on TDMA, CDMA, analog networks with it.