1.    #1  
    I know that in ASIA, GSM providers place signal remitters to improve reception throughout the cities... so people can get signals in elevators, buildings... etc... how come they don't have that in the United States?
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    I know that in ASIA, GSM providers place signal remitters to improve reception throughout the cities... so people can get signals in elevators, buildings... etc... how come they don't have that in the United States?
    People here in the US don't like to see those antenna's all over the place.
    yup, we call them NIMBY, i.e. Not In My Back Yard
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    People here in the US don't like to see those antenna's all over the place.
    I would be willint to carry one around with me if it meant getting reception in my classroom!
    Those antennas don't seem all that large really. I mean I live in a city-state-country and well, we don't really see any antenna towers around. The occasional transmitter box may be sighted in some office complexes but nothing really conspicuous or ugly.

But then since this country's smaller than a mid-sized city in the US, coverage over here's much easier to provide.
    I don't think they are talking full blown cell phone towers here. The re-emitters are likely much smaller and designed to cover a smaller area, like an office building or apartment complex. A larger antenna on the roof would be designed to acquire more signal than your tiny cellphone antenna would be capable of. The re-emitter would then amplify this signal for the benefit of the users in the immeadiate area.

P.S. Does anyone have any links to commercial products like this?

Nevermind... found some references.. i.e. spotwave
    Last edited by jaytee; 05/17/2004 at 09:08 AM.
    I bumped into a recent article regarding Cingular and coverage for the upcoming G8 summit in Georgia (US).

Maybe I can get one of this and tow it behind my car?
    The company has three COWs -- 'cellular on wheels'-- mobile cell sites that can support additional capacity quickly and easily. One COW will be positioned at the Savannah Convention Center to cover the Westin Hotel and the River Walk District. The other two will be available as needed.
    Taken from this article.

However, apparently there are alternative methods to improving your reception.
    I don't think this guy was successful.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post