1.    #1  
    hey all,
    I'm moving to NY from Australia and wandering who has the best gsm coverage in NY?

Also do you think there will be any problems with software etc for my Australian gsm treo?

Cheers,
    Dean
    You should not have any problem. Although you may end up getting a new SIM from a local US provider.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for that I assumed as much but just wanted to make sure.

I looked at the cingular plans but I couldn't find any data pricing, is there a carrier you would reccomend for good data plans, i'm assuming coverage is pretty much the same for all carriers especially seeing I will be in NY.

Also this may seem like an ignorant question but do you pay for calls coming in as well or just outgoing calls.

Cheers,
    Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by deanc
    thanks for that I assumed as much but just wanted to make sure.

I looked at the cingular plans but I couldn't find any data pricing, is there a carrier you would reccomend for good data plans, i'm assuming coverage is pretty much the same for all carriers especially seeing I will be in NY.
    Each GSM service provider has one has its own advantage. For example, Cingular has rollover minutes for phone usage, but T-Mobile provides lower cost data services.

Quote Originally Posted by deanc
    Also this may seem like an ignorant question but do you pay for calls coming in as well or just outgoing calls.

Cheers,
    Dean
    This statement is unfortunately true.
    This is a tough one. If you are going to be in metropolitan NYC, either one is acceptible. You can get a prepaid SIM card or if you are going to be there a while you can sign up with Cingular(if you don't need a phone) on a month to month basis. They have a new data plan that rivals Tmobile and is the same price. Having said that Cingular has more coverage and "roaming" that is included in its plans than Tmobile. Some people argue that Tmobile has better quality coverage. If you are going to be in NYC or urban areas, both will do nicely. As for ATTWS, I am with them and do not recommend them due to a poor Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA market.

cheers,
    Quote Originally Posted by jakilw
    This is a tough one. If you are going to be in metropolitan NYC, either one is acceptible. You can get a prepaid SIM card or if you are going to be there a while you can sign up with Cingular(if you don't need a phone) on a month to month basis. They have a new data plan that rivals Tmobile and is the same price. Having said that Cingular has more coverage and "roaming" that is included in its plans than Tmobile. Some people argue that Tmobile has better quality coverage. If you are going to be in NYC or urban areas, both will do nicely. As for ATTWS, I am with them and do not recommend them due to a poor Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA market.

cheers,
    But alot of Cingular's GSM is 850mhz, does the treo support 850mhz?
    Yep.
  8.    #8  
    thanks for that guys, weird about how you have to pay to receive, I kind of had that in the back of my head that that wasthe case.

I'll be arriving late July so will decide then how things look.

Cheers,
    dean