Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The week time span I am writing about was a time in which I tried to update via our Cingular customer service representative which represent a very large account to a large corporate entity. That entity had no clue what I was asking about so I gave up and just called Cingular.

<toksaun> Yes I would to be on the safe side.

Question: Is there a way to find out / validate your plan without calling Cingular? Web site / updates to my account info have never really be up to date.
    got my new treo 600 today from amazon! pretty dang intuitive (even though I had the treo 90 previously). I called up customer service, said I wanted the media works, and he hooked me up, ...didn't even ask what kind of phone I had. seems like a bit of cr@p shoot. here's hoping mine sticks...
    Me too. Order the Media Works from Cingular today (I worry what will happen after July 11th deadline). No hassle. Quick and no question ask. Now playing stream from Shoutcast on my GSM 600 and it is great.
    I'm paying through the nose for unlimited data and 300 SMS on ATTws. My wife and share a voice plan and each have ulimited PDA data and 300 SMS. Total is about $180/month. (For both lines: $70 voice, $20 SMS 300, $90 unlimited data.)

ATTws has, in fine print, that "unlmited" means you don't exceed 100MB/month (more than 2 months in a row or your disqualified) and that you are absolutely not supposed to use it as a laptop modem or using any software that automatically uses the data (I don't think they include e-mail auto deliver.) It's all reasonable requests, but it did have that in fine print.

I can't find any fine print on the Media Works plan that lists restrictions on phones or usage. I fully understand that they won't sell to you for a PDA or laptop, but can you find any writing that restricts this use?

I'll be paying $175 early cancelation on each line. But it's worth it to me because I'll be saving $70 a month if I move to Cingular with Medisworks. Additionally I spend more time on Cingular's network romaing than on AT&T. It will take me 5 months to make up the difference and start saving, but it sounds like a good way to go to me.

I just want to clear up the fine print before I make the jump and end up a little screwed.

Thanks
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/07/2004 at 02:13 AM.
    Just wanted to add my experience with Cingular, I also just got my Treo 600 and called Cingular CSR and asked what internet access plan was available. By way of background, I switched from a Nokian 6340i Gaitt plan to my treo 600. The CSR asked for my new IMEI for the Treo 600 and suggested a go to a straight GSM phone service phone ($39.99 per month as opposed to a $45 per month Gaitt plan). She then proceeded to give me the options for the $19.99 plan or the cheaper 5mb plan. I chose the unlimited.

I don't understand why there seems to be some inconsistencies on this. When I first got my bill after switching, they billed me for the unlimited and "limited" but after calling them for an explanation, credited my account for the "limited" charge .... saying I was on the unlimited plan.

Either way, I've had a great experience with Cingular (here in NYC). Note that I DO NOT keep the connection on all the time. I use it when necessary (retrieving emails ... periodically through Snappermail, browsing the internet, etc.). I don't know if that makes a difference.
    I've thought this through because I'm switching over and it's an expensive gamble for me. But there are several reasons I'd like to be on this plan, one of them being an $80/month savings on 2 lines.

So I strolled on in to a Cingular store inquiring about Media Works on a Treo. I was told "no," it's not available on the Treo or other 'smart phones.' So I signed up a new account and took the free Samsung x427 phones, had them add Media Works.

I promptly moved the SIM over to my (non-carrier specific, unlocked) Treo.

So there are only 2 matters of concern.
    A) Could Cingular throw a fit if I use more data than a WAP phone should?
    B) Would they throw a fit if I'm using a phone (the Treo) who's IMEI number is not the number they have in their computer (The Samsung?)

A) Well unlimited is unlimited. And if they wanted to restrict unlimited usage of the unlimited plan, it would be limited, not unlimited. (How many times can I say unlimited in one sentence.) Kind of like the 1500 SMS messages, it's practically unlimited but does deter you from abusing it by placing a very high cap. Futhermore, what's to stop me from installing WebViewer on my samsung phone (a real live Java web browser that sucks bandwidth) or using the samsung as a cellular modem with a laptop (major bandwidth sucker capable of way more usage than a Treo.)
    Point being, this should be a non-issue. As a matter of fact I DID install WebViewer on the Samsung just as I did my Nokia on AT&T. I could do 40MB with that without even trying.
    So there's no reason this should be an issue unless you're streaming data 24/7 or something like that.

B) Never heard of them complaining about using a non-regiesterd phone. As far as I know it's allowed. I think having my IMEI number is more about tracking what phone they sold me, not what I'm using. In fact the sales guy in the store said that there was nothing wrong with buying an onlocked phone and using the SIM in it.

Finally, for all you folks out there that have it on a Treo and Cingular knows it. They may never mess with you. I hope they don't.

I'm thinking this is the first of many future moves in the direction of unlimited services for a flat rate much the way talk time has gone.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/07/2004 at 04:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Hey guys ..its August now, any problems with the 19.99 plan?
    I ve had such a bad time with tmobile drop outs on my 600 in NYC/NJ that i just can't handle it anymore, please tell me cingular will be better.

Also, whas the best deal as far as getting a free phone thrown in for a year or two plan? I want something super small to go running with ...

Quote Originally Posted by CmgMg
    Just wanted to add my experience with Cingular, I also just got my Treo 600 and called Cingular CSR and asked what internet access plan was available. By way of background, I switched from a Nokian 6340i Gaitt plan to my treo 600. The CSR asked for my new IMEI for the Treo 600 and suggested a go to a straight GSM phone service phone ($39.99 per month as opposed to a $45 per month Gaitt plan). She then proceeded to give me the options for the $19.99 plan or the cheaper 5mb plan. I chose the unlimited.

I don't understand why there seems to be some inconsistencies on this. When I first got my bill after switching, they billed me for the unlimited and "limited" but after calling them for an explanation, credited my account for the "limited" charge .... saying I was on the unlimited plan.

Either way, I've had a great experience with Cingular (here in NYC). Note that I DO NOT keep the connection on all the time. I use it when necessary (retrieving emails ... periodically through Snappermail, browsing the internet, etc.). I don't know if that makes a difference.
    I have not had any issues yet with the new plan. Any suggestions for some multimedia Treo friendly sites out there?
    No, No problems and I don't forsee any unless you really something silly like use it way way way too much data and perk their attention. There is a thread over on Howard forums about some people that had Internet Express Pay Per Use magically show up on their bill and start charging them per KB. Initially he thought he was caught for tethering (as a modem) but later determined that Cingular's system has abit of a bug in it and screws up your account if it's not configured a certain way with Media Works unlimited. So if that happens to you, kindly call them and have them fix the error. Even after all he went through, he's still on Media Works and uses his his phone tethered as a modem.

Speculation is that heavy users or abusers will be caught and kicked from the plan, but I seriously doubt that unless you generally do use a ridiculous amount of data. But that goes for ANY of their unlimited data plans (even the $80.)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...18#post3474618

I noticed AT&T has a new $25/month unlimited data plan similar to Media Works unlimited. It's cool that it's for the new 3G network (Megabits per second.) but they state that it's only for non-pda use and the plan is tied to the phone's IMEI number. So you can't do the ol' "I have a crappy cell phone, give me Unlimited" then move your SIM to your Treo.
    I'm not suggesting Cingular will do this with Media Works, but it does show how they may enforce such future plans.
    But if you have Media Works and Cingular knows you have a Treo (or never asked) then you have every right to defend that fact that you should keep it (in my opinion.)
    I signed up for MEdia Works the day it went live, haven't been notified that they were pulling it for me and wasn't notified of any extra per kb charges.

I did see they changed the MEdia works brochure about a month after it rolled out - small type print stated pda phones not included.

I think your best bet, if you really want the service on a T600, is to go into a small non-company cingular store and ask to get the service on your phone. Beginning of this year I worked at a Cingular agent store and can confirm that those guys are hot to get the commission for the service sale - while being very poorly trained into knowing things like the T600 being exempt from eligibility.

Also, if you do get someone that does just happen to know about the rule, chances are slim to none that they will put it in the notes on your account that you came in attempting to get a service you aren't eligible for. I think the phone techs are obligated by policy to notate all calls' content and resolution. Agents are supposed to, but I never saw it.

I have seen posts (here or at Howard's) that had users with T600/MEdiaWorks/PTunes downloading megs and megs and megs of streaming audio - certainly that has to be detected and squashed - but normal web surfing and email I can't imagine would even be a blip on their screen.

Enjoy-
    -WC-
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    I noticed AT&T has a new $25/month unlimited data plan similar to Media Works unlimited. It's cool that it's for the new 3G network (Megabits per second.) but they state that it's only for non-pda use and the plan is tied to the phone's IMEI number.
    Yea, I just went online to try and buy a T600 from them and see if it came up. Sure enough, it didn't. That would be sweet, though. About time they got competitive with their prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by WildCard
    I worked at a Cingular agent store and can confirm that those guys are hot to get the commission for the service sale - while being very poorly trained into knowing things like the T600 being exempt from eligibility.
    Yes, as I posted on another thread here, there is an online store that even sells Media Works unlimited with a Treo for $300 with activation.
    But the problem with that is that the guys in the store don't actually do any of the activation, they have to call in to Cingular to set up the plans and won't the people they call in to catch the "mistake"?
    AT&T wireless could make changes to your rate plan and features from the computer in the store. I'm surprised that even at the Cingular company stores they have to call customer service to have changes made, they can't just do it on the computer.
    Am I wrong? That's been my experience so far with every Cingular store I've been at.

And I doubt there's going to be a witch hunt to get people who use too much data. There are just way way way too many customers out there teathering and using PDAs and it's not as simple as just having a computer do it automatically. After all it IS an ****unlimited**** plan meaning... no limits!

Worst case scenario there's the $40/month plan which still isn't terrible. I'll switch to that for Xpress mail ($40/unlimited) anyway if I can get IT at work to go for it. But I like the bundel of MMS and SMS with the media works plan because I use a lot of SMS.
    Last edited by taylorh; 08/06/2004 at 02:26 AM.
  13. Pft
    I ordered last week from the online store mentioned in the thread and I was able to order Media Works. The phone came this week activated without Media Works (even though the receipt in the box showed that I ordered Media Works). I called Cingular to complain. They promptly added Media Works. I was able to use it for a day...then the web/GPRS access stopped working. I called Cingular again, they told me only a promo of media works was added (with a 1 day expiration). The rep was puzzled as to why the other rep would do that. He added Media Works again..this time allegedly without an expiration. Its been working for a few days now. We'll see.

I then called a local Cingular store for an accessory and also asked about Media Works for a Treo while I was on the phone...they said it will not work and they are not allowed to add it. She said the only plan that would work and is allowed is PDA Connect for Treo (39.99 unlimited, 29.99 5mb) They can no longer offer Media Works, xpress mail or anything else for the Treo. She said even if it gets enabled in "error" they are implementing "pay for use" billing to catch data useage beyond the average. Your contract states that they have the right to change plan details, etc.
    Well, everything looks good for me, and I got it back in...end of May? I noticed that when I used APN "wap.cingular" my usage is never metered. When I used APN "isp.cingular" for a few days, that was metered. Strange.... But as for having problems - I've had absolutely none, still have MediaWorks.
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Pft
    She said even if it gets enabled in "error" they are implementing "pay for use" billing to catch data useage beyond the average. Your contract states that they have the right to change plan details, etc.
    I still say if that happens, call and complain. Say you paid for unlimited, want unlimited, and to please correct the error. Be careful because they have a billing system problem that has been adding Pay Per Use to people's bills that have media works unlimited. They are charged for $20 unlimited and then getting dinged per KB on top of that. It's aproblem with the audit system thinking you don't have a data plan and adding PPU because something isn't set up just quite right.

I would venture to guess that the above average usage she was mentionioning is in the hundreds of MB, probabally well above what you'd use on a heavy month, but that's a guess. I think that if they do this, they'll be targeting people using it on a daily basis as a laptop modem.

This is all my opinion, I could be dead wrong.
  16. Pft
    More MediaWorks activation trouble. Have only been a light user for the past week (since new activation) and am being billed for data yet again. Cingular says no support for t600 and mediaworks...whatsoever The only option available was to add the PDA 39.99 package...but they do not offer a PC/desktop client to move corporate email. All other carries do offer this as part of their PDA/ Treo packages. The only option is to buy the expensive server resident xpress mail service (hundreds of $$$).

Luckily I was still within the 14 day window to terminate my contract and return the phone to the online retailer mentioned in this thread. I have since ordered the Verizon Treo 600.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add that a couple of weeks ago I removed the Media Works from my plan because I mistakenly believed I could live without it. Anyway, today I felt I could no longer live without it. I called customer service and explained I wanted it added back on. They said, "Sure, no problem." A few minutes late I was surfing away with my Media Works UNLIMITED!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Hate to re-open long-since-dead threads, but I just received the following email this morning from Palmon:

Cingular Wireless Offer

Save $80 with service from Cingular Wireless

Now, for a limited time, when you buy a Treo 600 smartphone with service from Cingular Wireless and a MEdiaWorks unlimited Internet package for only $19.99/month you'll receive a special $80 discount off the purchase of your Treo smartphone. So you'll get a great smartphone with great service for an even better price -- only $419! But you'll want to act fast, this offer expires on October 29, 2004.

Check out Cingular Offer [Link]

--
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    It just goes to show that "Media Works" is available to the Treo600!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I even walked into a store recently with my ATT T600 and they could have signed me up right then, including MediaWorks, except I'm not unlocked. Yet...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast