Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    #1: Cingular CSR knowing that I had a Treo 600 suggested that I move to the Media Works package in April. I didn't even know it existed at the time. I was paying per MB and they told me I could get a better deal with unlimited Wireless.

#2: My online bill says the unlimited wireless internet for $19.99 is good through the year 2087.

#3: I have received nothing in writing saying that I will suddenly begin getting billed per MB again in July.

#4: If I get a bill from Cingular charging me more than $19.99 in July, I will only have one thing to say to them: "See you in court."
    The rep who sold to me also knew I had the Treo. He scanned the IMEI and wrote down the phone on the signup page. I signed up roughly 10 days ago. See the attached pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ziphem; 05/30/2004 at 06:45 PM.
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Well, I checked out the most recent Cingular brochure and looked at the fine print on the MEdia Works package. It clearly states that MW is not available for PDA phones. They define PDA as any phone running Palm, Windows Mobile, or a Symbian OS. I wonder if they're going to apply this to Nokia Series 60 phones too.

ziphem, did you get your service at a Cingular owned store or a third party dealer?
    CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
    Hey, I signed up for service at an actual Cingular store. And the guy even commented about the Treo, how it was so cool and he really wanted one. I think he was using the N-Guage (or something funny-looking like that).
    I just got signed up for the 19.95 Media Works package today at the Cingular kiosk in our local Wal-Mart. The guy commented how it was a great package and never indicated anything would be a problem when I metioned I was going to be using my Treo 600. We'll see how it goes, but it's working fine from what I've seen so far.
    Enjoy what you do, or do something else!
    Or here....

http://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/media_terms

Folks....they would have to have it in their online terms if this was in the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Or here....

http://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/media_terms

Folks....they would have to have it in their online terms if this was in the works.
    The first item is that you have to have a compatible phone. The Treo 600 is not listed as a compatible phone. Also, like I said earlier, the T&C in the printed material explicitly state that PDA phones cannot use the MEdia Works package. I think the real question is whether Cingular is going to 'know' that we are using Treos. Also if they do know, if they are going to do anything about it.
    CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
    anything new here? so far so good w/me...
    Just checked 2 days ago (another issue), and I'm still on the plan....
    Well, I just got my bill and there were no overage charges for using the Treo. The bill is exactly the amount I was expecting. So far so good.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Just swapped out 2 tdma phones I had on my account in addition to my gsm treo and changed to the a new gsm plan. To do it the service rep had to remove all my existing services and add them back in. She added the media works w/o a problem to my Treo 600 (she knew what a Treo was and I showed it to her). I even "risked" it a bit and told her about the comments some have made about media works not being available on pda phones and she said it wasn't true.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    I dont know what the problem is. I have had the 19.95 Plan for a month and a half now. I leave my data on at ALL times.

The plan is still there!
    Well, this is going to be very interesting.

When all the hubbub started on this Forum about Media Works, I went to the Cingular website and noticed that the Treo was not listed in the pulldowns for supported phones. I thought to myself, I'll bet that people are being allowed to add this plan, in error.

The phones listed are the type that can do WAP and other typically low volume data activities. Thus Cingular could probably afford to offer a cheaper plan for them. Us Treo users often use more data, for email, "real" web pages, etc.

So I laid low, then when my unlimited trial SMS ran out a couple weeks ago, I called in to change that plan. She said "I see you are paying $75 for unlimited data! We have a promotion called Media Works for $19.99." I said "Yes, but I went to your website and it doesn't list Treo as a supported phone. Can you please double check?" She said "I see no restrictions, but let me double check with my supervisor". She went away for a bit and came back and said "You're right, the Media Works plan is not available for the Treo units".

So it sounds like communication did not happen well amongst customer care there, and their software didn't disallow it from being added, and their contract fine print may not have disallowed it either. But it seems clear to me what the intent was of the plans.

So I'd hope that for people that got the plan, Cingular will remove it as being in error, and not charge for overages due to their oversight. But of course then your only option is the more expensive plans, or to change vendors.

So I guess we have to continue to debate the pricing and availability of large volume and unlimited Internet amongst the vendors. It's interesting that most of the vendors really believe they have to charge a large amount for unlimited data. It's also interesting that I have seen/heard a lot of concern about data throughput on some vendors' low cost unlimited. I think, as hard as it is for us to realize, the cell phone vendors have to pay for their equipment costs and usage and we have to keep that in mind. Remember that a lot of telecom companies are in trouble because "competition" has forced them to lower prices where they can't pay for themselves. Let's try to keep that in mind, as painful as it is to our pocketbooks and as much as we want to place blame on the big bad telecom companies. We can hope as time goes on, the costs go down. Also remember there aren't that many of us supporting these high speed networks (well ok, I don't know that for a fact, anybody know rough numbers on # of people having/using "regular" cell phones vs true data capable units?)
    After having Tmobile for the last year and the Internet access for the last 6 months I am ready to bail from Tmoble. The unlimited internet access would be great if it only was avaible more than about 20% of the time. The coverage also sucks and so does the customer support.

Now the question for me is do I go with AT&T or CIngular and is there even a difference. Can anyone comment on the Coverage and Internet acces for Cingular in the Bay Area?
    My current data bill was around 46 / month. I called a couple of weeks ago and said I wanted the 19.95 plan. I (mistake) told them I had a Treo 600. The salesperson told me it was not available for my PDA. I called a week later and told them I wanted it for my Motorola (same account old phone same SIM) and they told me no problem and switched it.
    Why did you wait a week?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Hey Ratcliffe1964, $19.95 is a reasonable price for the "big telephone companies" to support their networks. Maintenance on landline networks is very $$$ intensive yet a typical phone bill is $30-$50 while a typical cell phone bill for the averagea heavy data user is well above that (probably 2 or 3 times as much). I work for SBC, a major player in the telecommunications industry, and I can say for a fact they are profiting quite handsomely from us at this "low rate". To expect us to pay upwards of $70 or $80 so these companies don't lose money is ridiculous.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    this may be a stupid question, but you say that you called cingular customer support, told them that you wanted to add media works to your current account (with treo) and then just told them that it was a motorola phone, and you got media works?

here's my situation, I see that amazon has the cingular treo 600 for $299. I am currently with tmo with an old mot v60, and really want to get the treo. so how do I get the unlimited internet with cingular? should I buy the phone through amazon, get it activated with whatever phone plan, once it's up and running, call cingular customer support, ask for media works to be added, and if they ask me what the phone is, just tell them it's my old v60??

I'd hate to get into cingular only to find out that I have to pay $80 for unlimited data!!!
    Unlimited data for Treo with a non-media works package is supposed to be $39.99 not $79.99.

I really expect it to be pretty quick when Cingular buckles and opens up the $19.99 plan to everyone since the other companies already have that.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast