Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any experience yet with AT&T's new GSM America service and the Treo 600. I am ready to make the Treo 600 purchase and am considering AT&T (my current TDMA provider) and T-Mobile. It looks like AT&T has finally improved their GSM service and it is likely that since they are being acquired by Cingular, they have now just added all of Cingular's coverage with their own to come up with this new GSM America service.

My limited evaluation is that AT&T may now have a coverage advantage, but T-Mobile has the lower cost advantage (voice + data service).

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have been with ATT for some 8 years. Trom TDMA now with there GSM I find the service to be more then adequate and has improved drastically in the recent past. Part of their GSM America. Although I would like a cheaper data plan then 44.95 I think that will come. The one thing I do not like is that you must whats there priceing constantly to get the best offer. The do not always tell you of price drops.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    T-Mobile has completely free roaming on the Cingular and AT&T networks, depending on the market (always made all these ads complaining about roaming charges seem so silly, since I NEVER had to deal with it with T-Mobile in the US). Are you talking about better coverage in areas in which T-Mobile as well as other network(s) have service, or in markets where T-Mobile doesn't have any coverage? I would think that only the first case would matter. In the second, you would automatically roam for free on a network that covers that region.
  4.    #4  
    I am thinking about coverage in general, across the country. I realize that T-Moblie, Cingular and AT&T seem to have some free roaming agreements that essentially creates one big GSM coverage area, but looking at the new AT&T coverage map, it is both much larger than it was previously, and it appears to be more comprehensive than T-Mobile's coverage area now that it is this GSM America.
    Couple of things:

Cingular has not bought ATTWS yet. Maybe at the end of this year. With that said, part of the reason for the new plan is that ATTWS is hemorraging subscribers. ATTWS lost about 400,000 subscribers in Q1 of '04.

True, GSM America does allow you to use the phone in a lot of places. It is important to understand that your ability to use other carriers' signals will vary by location. ATTWS is not likely to allow you to use another carrier's signal where ATTWS thinks that they have good coverage as it is. So, its NOT a free for all for anbody's service like was originally thought on places like Howardforums
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Interestingly Bay Area AT&T & Cingular coverage merged a couple of weeks ago so phones now auto switch between the two networks based on signal strength.
    I have been using T-Mobile for sometime now and I can tell you that the statements refering to free roaming on Cingular and ATTWS are unfortunately inaccurate. I can't count the number of times I lose T-Mobile service only to find Cingular and/or ATTWS available. However, I am unable to register with those networks. Additionally, it is true that I am not charged roaming while on Cingular/ATTWS, but that time goes against my anytime minutes not my mobile to mobile (which are free).
    T-Mobile has the most extensive GPRS network in the country. As in number of zipcodes covered.

ATTWS and Cingular's GSM network is 6-10 months old. T-Mobile has been running GSM for 2 years.

Before you knock T-Mobile and raise ATT on a pedestal, it is important to understand these points.
    There are several locations around where I live that T-Mobile has NO coverage and you can't roam on AT&T. The islands of Molokai & Lanai both have absolutely NO T-Mobile service and GREAT AT&T coverage. Unfortunately, I can't roam there. I am thinking about giving in & paying the higher AT&T data rates so I can have coverage when I work there.
    YMMV
    Same here, in Northern California. My buddies who have AT&T connect up near Shingletown just fine (30 miles East of Redding) but I get no signal at all woith T-Mo.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    GSM service has grown by leaps & bounds down here. Total area hasn't improved much but <I>saturation</I> has. I used to average 2-3 drops per ride to work, now I have none.

But seriously, $44.95 a month for DATA ONLY!!! Get real!
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Quote Originally Posted by CPOM
    T-Mobile has the most extensive GPRS network in the country. As in number of zipcodes covered.

ATTWS and Cingular's GSM network is 6-10 months old. T-Mobile has been running GSM for 2 years.

Before you knock T-Mobile and raise ATT on a pedestal, it is important to understand these points.
    Just to clarify and correct your statement (not a comment pro or con for ATT/CNG/TMO), ATTWS has been in existance for over 18 months as I was a charter GSM subscriber. I also had an alternative solution with Cingular at the time. Hence, I think the experience set is pretty close among all three. Therefore, the best advice is to go with the best reception in your area and that area you travel within.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    T-Mobile has completely free roaming on the Cingular and AT&T networks, depending on the market (always made all these ads complaining about roaming charges seem so silly, since I NEVER had to deal with it with T-Mobile in the US). Are you talking about better coverage in areas in which T-Mobile as well as other network(s) have service, or in markets where T-Mobile doesn't have any coverage? I would think that only the first case would matter. In the second, you would automatically roam for free on a network that covers that region.
    This may only be true in California and parts of NY.

I frequently visit areas where TMobile does not have any towers. I can detect signal on either ATT or Cingular, but I will not be allowed to roam or to place calls on those towers.

I am told that there is not any roaming agreements in these areas.
    "Cingular's GSM network is 6-10 months old"
    This is when I start feeling old.The above statement is not true since Cingular was derived from Pacific Bell Cellular which was the premier GSM carrier in the US some many years ago at least 5.I may be wrong on how long but they were the first with GSM. As for T-Mo Coverage it is lacking in N.Cali due to lack of roaming agreements with At&T I guess they put their money where the people are in Central/S.Cali.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    This may only be true in California and parts of NY.

I frequently visit areas where TMobile does not have any towers. I can detect signal on either ATT or Cingular, but I will not be allowed to roam or to place calls on those towers.

I am told that there is not any roaming agreements in these areas.
    That has been my experience too. When I called T-Mo on this, they said there was not much chance of expanding roaming with ATT because they are in competition.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    We will have to see what happens now that Cingular bought AT&T. I have heard it is going to be a 2 year transition.
    I am about to switch from Tmobile. Over the last 6 months I could only get access to the internet about 20% of the time and the covcerage sucks in the bay area. Even recently Tmobile admitted they were having problems wtih the GPRS data service and refused to credit my account for not having any access for over two weeks. THat was the last straw for me. I hope At&t at least has better coverage and better internet access that actually works.
    I started with Tmobile in the Bay Area, and the coverage was hopeless. Even a trip to Sth Cal, and Florida (Orlando) it was patchy. I cancelled TMO after 2 weeks and moved to AT&T and my experience has been significantly better.
    I have GSM America and I can say it relatively hassle free. It has taken AT&T some time to work the kinks out of the billing mistakes (Was getting dinged for roaming text message when I shouldn't have) but it's all good now.

I have $50 unlimited PDA data plan and $10 for 300 outgoing SMS text messages on top of my voice plan. SMS text messages are unlimite incoming.
    (the unlimited PDA data is $50, but they should give you a $5 discount with your "qualified" voice plan so long as you're not on a share family plan like I am. In that case it's full price)

Cingular has this thing called mediawork. It's tempting. It's $20 unlimited data and 1500 text message (I think that's for both outgoing and incoming, not unlimited incoming like AT&Tws.) That's substantially less and they have almost the same voice plans.
    The catch is that metroworks is not for smart phones or PDA. It's intended for low data usage WAP phones. But on another thread they've been discussing that you just sign up for it on a normal phone, then switch your SIM card to your Treo and use it that way. Just don't tell Cingular you're using the TREO. This, of course, requires that you have your own unlocked treo that you're bringing to the new carrier. If you're planning on buying a treo through the carrier, I guess you can't pull this off.

Anyway, like I said. The AT&Tws GSM america is great. It puts the coverage on par with Cingular since they roam to each other's networks.

-Taylor
    Last edited by taylorh; 07/02/2004 at 09:10 PM.
    I switched over to gsm a few months ago, and I can barely keep a conversation going when driving through NY city/state. I keep getting dropped calls, and poor reception. Not sure what my choices are, I may switch to Verizon, or back to digital and keep a data plan on the treo.

Anyone else have problems with At&T gsm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast