Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I currently have a Treo300 and thinking about ordering a T-Mobile Treo600 before the upgrade discount period ends on Tuesday. I use the Treo300 while I'm in the US and a T-Mobile phone when I travel overseas as they seem to have very good coverage and roaming rates.

Of course, while in the US I use Sprint's Business Connection Personal Edition to link to my Outlook e-mail and Exchange Server for just $5/month. Will the T-Mo Treo600 come with software to allow me to access my Outlook e-mails? Do they have an option to do this like Sprint does? If not, any recomendations on how to economically do so for a single user?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

-Richard
    I have a friend and employee who purchased a T-Mobile Treo 600 and have found no solution to connect to Exchange corporate e-mail. T-Mobile recommends VPN, but I'm not aware of a VPN solution for Treo 600's.

I have two other friends/employees using Treo 600's on Sprint and they have the Business Connect which works great 99.9% of the time on one and 70% of the time on the other phone.

Hopefully Exchange 2003 will fix the problems, but on these older phones I'm not sure it will fix anything.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill
    You may want to check out subscribing to T-Mo's unlimited VPN Internet for $19.99 a month (it unlocks the ports and encryption needed for VPN networking) and look into Marc's ChatterMail. It seems to be one of the only TRUE push e-mail solutions available for the 600 at this time. I am not speaking from any experience, however...just something you may want to check out. Marc frequents these boards, so I am sure you can ask his advice in the developer forum and see if he'd be willing to assist you in setting up something like what you are talking about.

Cheers,
    Brady
    Well, I have a solution, but it's not guaranteed as to duration.

The company that created the Business Connection Personal Edition software package for Sprint is Seven, Inc. They do have a BETA program for the application and if they accept you, you get the software and the ability to use it for free on any carrier, not just Sprint.

There are NDAs you have to agree to and reporting requirements should you join. But it might be the only option available to you.

Plus it doesn't hurt to have the latest and greatest as long as you're willing to put up with the obvious potential headaches associated with being a BETA tester.

Here's the link: http://www.seven.com/products/Indivi...tion/Beta.html

Good luck.
    Thanks Brady and Steve. T-Mobile has changed the account to 'internet and VPN', and I hope to have the phone setup in the next 3 hours. I'll have to go look up the information on ChatterMail. Not familiar with it.

Thanks again for the information.

Bill
    I ended up going with T-Mobile's package 'Corporate MyEMail'. You download a piece of software from RIM to run on your desktop and it redirects e-mails for your phone. Talking with the fine tier 2 tech folks from India was a challenge, but they gave me just enough information to figure it out.

Since I just got this running less than an hour ago I have no kind of history of reliability. If you have to access an Exchange server running behind a firewall, this is the way to go.

Bill
    I use SnapperMail on T-Mobile VPN to access Exchange based Email without a desktop redirector. (I use a laptop that is not always connected). SnapperMail 2.0 supports IMAP synchronization giving you (only) the contents of your Inbox. If you have a POP3 account somewhere, 'bcc' yourself on that account and set it to forward messages from you to your Exchange account. Set up a rule in Outlook to move mail from you to your Sent Folder and you are done.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billz89
    I ended up going with T-Mobile's package 'Corporate MyEMail'. You download a piece of software from RIM to run on your desktop and it redirects e-mails for your phone. Talking with the fine tier 2 tech folks from India was a challenge, but they gave me just enough information to figure it out.

Since I just got this running less than an hour ago I have no kind of history of reliability. If you have to access an Exchange server running behind a firewall, this is the way to go.

Bill
    Interesting... What software did they have you download from RIM? Can you post a link to it assuming it's legal?
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Interesting... What software did they have you download from RIM? Can you post a link to it assuming it's legal?
    Hi TxDot.

Sorry it has taken so long for me to post. The T-Mobile solution is built into a web page via activex install script. I do not know how I would post it.

The RIM software is working okay to receive e-mail on the Treo 600, however whenever the client sends an e-mail from the Treo 600 the message body is blank.

I may give ChatterMail a try. We've got three Treo 650's (using Sprint) and one Treo 600 (using T-Mobile) now and so far the Treo 650's/Sprint work great. Several people have suggested to me that our Exchange 2003 server is responsible for the blank body text, but considering the client computer can send e-mails okay I don't see how.

Bill