I got my TREO 600 upgrade on 2/24. It has no T-Mo markings, and the part number does not have the T-Mo reference, but it appears to be locked to T-Mo (under Preferences/Network on the TREO it says it is locked to T-Mobile).

I emailed T-Mo and got this reply (which seems quite reasonable to me). Apparently phones bought directly from PalmOne fit in the category of ebay and pawnshops...

Response (Veronica) - 02/25/2004 07:27 PM

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile.

All phones sold by T-Mobile are locked for use by T-Mobile SIM cards only. To unlock your handset, you must meet the following criteria:

-Customers must have at least 90 days of continuous active monthly service.
    -The account must have a current balance of less then $100.00.
    -The name on the request must match the billed party name.
    -Handsets purchased through e-bay, garage sales, pawnshops, etc. must still meet these requirements.

Upon meeting these conditions, please provide us with the following and we can make a request for this code.
    -IMEI number (dial *#06# to show on phones display)
    -Mobile number
    -Account Password or the last 4 digits of your SSN

If you have any other comments, questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.
    Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    Veronica
    Technical Services
    Your phone is likely not "locked" in the traditional meaning of the word. If you put in an AT&T or Cingular sim card in the phone, you would be able to make calls and connect to their network. However, when a T-Mobile sim is in the phone, the sim itself contains T-Mobile's pre-authorized network settings, and specifies that the phone isn't allowed to change them. This means on the network prefs screen, if you have one of the T-Mobile settings selected (e.g., "TMobile Internet"), you'll see a little "Locked" icon. If you tap the "Modify" button it will give you an error message that you can't change the setting.

However, try going to the menu and under the "Service" menu select "New". Enter whatever network settings you like that way. I believe that will work.

Originally posted by tomh
    I got my TREO 600 upgrade on 2/24. It has no T-Mo markings, and the part number does not have the T-Mo reference, but it appears to be locked to T-Mo (under Preferences/Network on the TREO it says it is locked to T-Mobile).

I emailed T-Mo and got this reply (which seems quite reasonable to me). Apparently phones bought directly from PalmOne fit in the category of ebay and pawnshops...

Response (Veronica) - 02/25/2004 07:27 PM

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile.

All phones sold by T-Mobile are locked for use by T-Mobile SIM cards only. To unlock your handset, you must meet the following criteria:

-Customers must have at least 90 days of continuous active monthly service.
    -The account must have a current balance of less then $100.00.
    -The name on the request must match the billed party name.
    -Handsets purchased through e-bay, garage sales, pawnshops, etc. must still meet these requirements.

Upon meeting these conditions, please provide us with the following and we can make a request for this code.
    -IMEI number (dial *#06# to show on phones display)
    -Mobile number
    -Account Password or the last 4 digits of your SSN

If you have any other comments, questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.
    Sincerely,

T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    Veronica
    Technical Services
    Since I meet all the criteria for unlocking, I simply called T-Mo CS and they processed my request. It may take up to 24 hours to go into effect, so I'll post an update this weekend when I drop my Buddy's AT&T SIM card into it.

- cb
    copper treo 680/t-mobile
    Tmobile seemed to held on to the same policy. I was told customers must have at least 90 days of continuous active monthly service, but I explained I needed to travel and the phone might be new, but I have been a long time customer. They then say they will enable International calling and made me to believe it was an unlock. When I got to Singapore, I then realized the phone was not unlock. The phone worked, but only when my Tmobile SIM was in placed. It was quite a disappointment.

I found a tutorial at http://www.fasttutorial.com and got both my TREO 600 and used 650 unlocked.