Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some of you may know that it is possible to get "free" internet access with T-Mobile's free WAP by using a proxy w/ Blazer. Numerous posts refer to a web site free-proxies.com. Please note that NONE of the proxies listed there are tested for security. It is possible that the proxies being handed out on that site are being run by hackers who can filter the traffic and extract all kinds of data like passwords, etc.

I've decided to stop using Blazer because of this. I'm now using Eurora Web which requires no proxy for some reason. I'm asking individuals with more expertise than I to post here with their comments and suggestions.

Bottom line is that if you intend to use Blazer w/ your "free" T-Mo internet then you need to be DAMN SURE that you can trust your proxy provider. If someone knows of a reliable proxy, You'd be doing us all a favor to post it here.
    do you have to pay for t-zones for this?
  3.    #3  
    Nope. Just call T-Mo and ask for free WAP.

Configure the service as documented in lots of places and you're on.

Now, does somebody know a secure proxy we can use? Eudora is having problems with one of the sites I frequent.
    I just started using my T600 last week and have not configured Blazer to use a proxy. Is there a default proxy or is it not necessary to configure it on the T600?

...David
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by dbaldon
    I just started using my T600 last week and have not configured Blazer to use a proxy. Is there a default proxy or is it not necessary to configure it on the T600?

...David
    Are you saying that you're not signed up for the $19.99 internet
    option? If so then it appears that the version of Blazer in on T600 does not require the proxy. Is this a T-Mo branded phone or Cingular or....?
    you dont need a proxy to to surf with blazer and t-mo's $20 internet plan. when i first got the treo, this is how I used it.

i am now using t-mo's proxy: getmorespeed.t-mobile.com
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7.    #7  
    Felipe,

You're totally missing my point. I know that you can surf w/ no proxy with the internet plan for $19.99. What I'm trying to say is that there are reports of people surfing the net (I'm one of them!) for FREE with the basic WAP/GPRS service T-Mo provides to every customer.

Don't you want to save 20 bucks a month?
    When I first got my T600 I didn't have the $19.99 Internet plan. I do have the $3.99 (grandfathered price) T-Zones. I just set the network to T-Zones (Prefs->Network) and started browsing the web. The only sites I couldn't access were secure sites(HTTPS).

The phone is not branded but is locked to T-Mobile. I bought it from BusFish.

...David
    Originally posted by dbaldon
    When I first got my T600 I didn't have the $19.99 Internet plan. I do have the $3.99 (grandfathered price) T-Zones. I just set the network to T-Zones (Prefs->Network) and started browsing the web. The only sites I couldn't access were secure sites(HTTPS).

The phone is not branded but is locked to T-Mobile. I bought it from BusFish.

...David
    How is that possible? Blazer needs ports that are not included in free wap!?!?

I'm still waiting for my preorder tmobile branded (but unlocked hopefully, according to other posts) to try it out.

I have tmobile tzones pro 9.99 grandfathered... I'll see how I work out.

I can tell you that with my unlocked treo 270, and connecting to tmobile internet or internet vpn (theres no "tzones" setting by default), that nothing works in the Blazer. ..apn's are wrong.
  10.    #10  
    I'll talk you through it:

1) set up a new network service. Call it whatever you want.
    make it a GPRS connection no user name and an unassigned password. APN must be wap.voicestream.com. No fallback and check automatic IP address and query DNS.

2) set up a port 80 proxy *carefully* see the first post in this thread.

This will now allow a T180 or T270 to surf the web with only free WAP service. I know, I'm doing it.

My understanding is that the T600's Blazer does not require a proxy. Supposedly Blazer on the older Treos does not support true HTML and the Proxy makes up for that.

Note that in either case, you cannot surf secure sites with Free WAP service.
    Thanks for the walkthrough.

Yes, I've set up my treo 270's blazer proxy to a web proxy set up for port 80 in the past...they just go down so fast (unless you set up a home pc to act as a proxy)... thats all I meant.

From what I understood, Blazer 2 (on a treo 270) used its own proxy to translate web pages through, to make them appear faster on your handheld.

Thats awesome if the Treo 600's newest version of Blazer does NOT need any sort of proxy....

Is that confirmed anywhere?
    Whats the advantage of the $19.99 unlimited plan? Only the VPN that people barely use?

What about the T-Zones and T-Zones Pro? What are the advantages to each one? TMobile's website is poor at explaining the features for all of the above.

I'm so confused!!!!!

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by blacknoi

snip!

Thats awesome if the Treo 600's newest version of Blazer does NOT need any sort of proxy....

Is that confirmed anywhere?
    Oh yeah, lots of places. check out the 600 forum.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Stanward
    Whats the advantage of the $19.99 unlimited plan? Only the VPN that people barely use?

What about the T-Zones and T-Zones Pro? What are the advantages to each one? TMobile's website is poor at explaining the features for all of the above.

I'm so confused!!!!!

Stan
    $19.99 adds secure web site support and other things.

T-Zones and T-Zones pro are not available for the treo so it's kinda irrelevant.

The free WAP is enough for me. And to think I paid that $19.99 from the first day the GPRS upgrade was available. I could kick myself.
    Hi guys,

I heard someone uses the T-Zones to surf the internet on the Treo 600? Is this true?

As far as the free WAP, can you check email from a pop3 server???

Thanks,

Stan
  16.    #16  
    I'd also like to know about POP3 w/ WAP. I've been getting strange and inconsistent error messages w/ Eudora so I'm not optimistic.

My understanding is that web browsing to non secure sites will be fine w/ no proxy usimg Blazer on the T600. No need for T-zones.
    Last edited by duoart; 02/24/2004 at 10:58 PM.
    Originally posted by duoart
    I'll talk you through it:

1) set up a new network service. Call it whatever you want.
    make it a GPRS connection no user name and an unassigned password. APN must be wap.voicestream.com. No fallback and check automatic IP address and query DNS.

2) set up a port 80 proxy *carefully* see the first post in this thread.

This will now allow a T180 or T270 to surf the web with only free WAP service. I know, I'm doing it.

My understanding is that the T600's Blazer does not require a proxy. Supposedly Blazer on the older Treos does not support true HTML and the Proxy makes up for that.

Note that in either case, you cannot surf secure sites with Free WAP service.
    We'll this work even if I do not have a T-Mo account? My service is Cingular and I pay by the data packets. Will this free me from the cost of surfing (albeit unsecured) the web?

Thanks for the info...

Aloha
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Cingular and TMobile have different data plans, as well as GPRS connection ports, etc.

stan
  19.    #19  
    Stanward,

Looks like POP/SMTP works fine. I think the server was flakey earlier. I just sent and recieved E-mail with Eudora on my T180
    through my SBC Yahoo DSL account. I'm using only the free WAP service on the T-Mo side.
    Free WAP on TMobile:

1. Don't login into secured sites (ebay and paypal and the like)

2. Can get pop3 server email

3. Can surf the internet as usual

Next question would be, can you use that instant messenger software(the one that you can buy for $20 and login into MSN/Yahoo/AIM)???

Thanks,

Stan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast