Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    well the price isn't too much of a problem if the quality is worth it. I'm going to be travelling out of the country for awhile and the sprint replacement phones dont cut it. I'm actually thinking of ditching the 600 all together and going with the linux based motorola a768 which is an updated version of the similar a760...maybe when the treo comes with hi res and bt...i think that the a768 suits my needs better...and no I'm not purpleX...and of course this is only assuming there will be an unlimited data plan..
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by Twice

Yup, you are right. It's not a sale page. I guess I got lucky, because I called my local store and they just rec'd them. They weren't even in the inventory yet. I put a hold on one, and only had to wait about 2 days.
    I too lucked out. I ordered my Cingular Treo600 from Handspring's site on Feb.6. By Feb.7, they confirmed that my order was shipped. By Feb8, I checked on the website to see if I could order one for my wife. It was gone (although ATT and Sprint versions were still available). Received it Feb10th and have been happily using it since then.

Aloha
    Convergence is so Cool!
    Old: Palm IIIc - VIIx, Sony Clie NX60, Motorola Startac,Clie TH55, Treo 600
    New: Treo 650, wow!
    Originally posted by Dredly
    Neither AT&T or Cingluar are all GSM. AT&T just started going GSM about a year ago, I believe they still have a very large portion of their network as CDMA. As for cingular... AHAHAHAHAH

If you want to know how good cingulars coverage and integration will be look at Tmobiles Cali/Nevada coverage. That is an integrated market (all tmo towers are really cingular) and there is at least 2 majore outages a week there. Cingulars Voicemail system is unstable at best, Their network and tower are very unreliable and their CS sux.

Then again Tmobile isn't all that much better in some areas. BTW New York is a Tmo/Cingular area as well. If cingular buys any more companies I can see them being spit up like Bell... oh wait, they are bell
    ATT and Cingular are TDMA, not CDMA. They are now adding GSM/GPRS at 850 and 1900 mhz.

TMobile is 1900 mhz GSM/GPRS.

Sprint is mostly 1900mhz CDMA

Verizon is mostly 800 mhz CDMA

Verizon, Cingular, and ATT also have 800mhz AMPS service in some areas.

CDMA Treo600 currently only is activated on Sprint.

TMobile, ATT, and Cingular support the Treo 600 GSM/GPRS at 1900 mhz wotjCingular also having service at 850 mhz depending upon market...
    Originally posted by Dredly
    Neither AT&T or Cingluar are all GSM. AT&T just started going GSM about a year ago, I believe they still have a very large portion of their network as CDMA.
    AT&T has actually used TDMA; the only one in the US that I know of. Anyhow, if you'd like to read more about it, here's a link:
    http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/tdma/
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    According to the WSJ, rivals could take advantage of any disruptions in merger with AT&T Wireless. Cingular and AT&T are going to "tread a lot of water in the short time." Some of the hurdles both companies are faced with: Service (improve coverage area, reliability and call quality). Competition (rivals will pounce on customers' uneasiness with and/or glitches that arise). Regulators (this merger is likely to draw plenty of government scrutiny). Technology (both companies have been updating their systems to the GSM technology). Mangement (both companies have high profile CEOs and top brass that might clash).
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Actually I have found the cingular coverage to be very good in Chicago. I use 1 phone on verizon with CDMA and my second line on Cingular with GSM. (Two providers, Two techs, 99% of the time 1 Fully working phone )

Although I am now considering going to AT&T for the data plan. This $80/month is a bit much.

-David
    anyone wanna ditch sprint, go ahead. none of this will matter for months and months and months and... when it IS done this is what will happen. their rates will NOT come down (they are NOT smart enough to understand the marketing ability of a HUGE network and cheap rates, they will pull a verizon and charge alot but brag about service) the competitors (i.e. sprint) will lower their rates to combat cingulars huge network. change for higher rates and slower surfing, go ahead. now if t-mobile bought ATT or cingular I MAY be interested (rate wise, NOT data wise) but with those 2 comeing together NOT.
    p.s. I love ATT, they pay the best commision!!!!!
    > ...I too lucked out. I ordered my Cingular Treo600 from
    > Handspring's site...

No, being able to get a TREO 600 that is compatible with Cingular was NOT the side-topic being discussed. What was being discussed was getting a TREO 600 that is compatible with Cingular FROM Cingular itself.

We have read multiple posts from "those who might know" that T-Mobile, for example, is NOT going to carry the TREO 600 (at least during the early stages). Instead, they are going to allow PalmOne to sell a TREO 600 that is compatible with T-Mobile.

Since Cingular, for all zips I've checked, does NOT have the TREO 600 anymore on their web site's sales pages yet PalmOne (until recently) had the Cingular-compatible TREO 600 on THEIR web site with the SHORTEST lead time from order to shipping, the suggestion is that Cingular may have moved to a T-Mobile-like business relationship with PalmOne.

=====

None of this really matters to end-customers, BTW, just to those who are interested in the FINANCIALS behind TREO 600 (and other model) sales (i.e., PalmOne used to relie on sales of BULK orders of TREOs to make their money - if instead they have to get their money by unit-by-unit sale of their devices then there are all sorts of financial ramifications such as need to carry inventory, etc).

BTW, part II - it makes SO much sense to me from a CARRIER point of view for a carrier to do what T-Mobile may be doing that I'm surprised ALL carriers aren't jumping/haven't jumped into that mode. Expensive devices (such as all the TREOs and other smartphones) don't sell nearly as fast as plain-Jane devices - they're expensive to keep in inventory (as Sprint has found out with the LONG-discontinued-yet-still-in-stock TREO300). It simply makes total sense, IMHO, that a carrier would tell PalmOne "Sure, we'll let ya sell one compatible with us" but ALSO say "No thanks, we don't want to buy any ourselves - YOU sell them!".
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 02/19/2004 at 06:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Here is a story from CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/17/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Better coverage, tech improvements, not lower prices.

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Originally posted by McTreo
    Here is a story from CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/17/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

Better coverage, tech improvements, not lower prices.

Mac
    No surprise here. Consolidation NEVER means lower prices.
    Originally posted by Schmoozer

You paid $175 to leave? Ouch. What did you do with the phone? AT&T lock theirs.
    I already knew that I wanted an unlocked phone before I switched over to their GSM network (be it a Treo or some other phone). Even though I had been with AT&T for 8 years, I still wanted to be able to have a choice in the unlikely event that I wanted to leave. (And I wanted to be able to try other SIMs on my phone to compare.) That's why I bought the Cingular version.

BTW, I'm actually saving money in the long run by switching. With AT&T, I was paying about $50/month (voice, data & taxes/fees). With Cingular, I added myself to my family's plan and end up paying about $30/month (+ less headaches, too). I still had 12 months left in my AT&T contract. (Cingular, BTW, did not force me into a contract. )
    AT&T Wireless sucked so I left!! 2,370,000 ATTWS customers left in Q1 (2004) and I'm proud to be one of them!
    AirTouch Cellular => L.A. Cellular => AT&T Wireless => Cingular Wireless
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12