Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Interestingly, I could not see the upgrade link on the Handspring page using IE 6.0.2800 on PC. However, when I checked on a Mac using Safari 1.2 it shows up just fine. That seems kinda weird!

Here goes....
    oh man, this is what I get for not checking the forums for a day billions of people in line in front of me!!

So, I'm not upgrading, and I'm not an existing customer. Just placed my order for a t600 for $499 ... is there any chance of a rebate from t-mo for being a new customer?
    re: rebate

Not that I know of, but you could always take the free phone and stick it on Ebay.
    Originally posted by prismenvy
    Interestingly, I could not see the upgrade link on the Handspring page using IE 6.0.2800 on PC. However, when I checked on a Mac using Safari 1.2 it shows up just fine. That seems kinda weird!

Here goes....
    Doesn't seem wierd at all to me. How do you think Palm feels about Microsoft?

Need I say more?
    Could anyone tell me how long you have to cancel an order with t-mobil after you receive the phone? I'm with another carrier, but I'd like to get the t600 and just use my sim from my t270, which I'll use for the upgrade, then cancel the t-mobil phone number.

TX
    Originally posted by MadTreo
    Could anyone tell me how long you have to cancel an order with t-mobil after you receive the phone? I'm with another carrier, but I'd like to get the t600 and just use my sim from my t270, which I'll use for the upgrade, then cancel the t-mobil phone number.

TX
    I don't understand your problem. Just order the unlocked upgrade unit (you've to a T270 serial #, right?) and that's it.
    I don't think they're checking if you have an account w/ T-Mo
    After all, T-Mo customers were ordering T600s on the Cingular upgrade plan.
    Originally posted by alamerican
    Just a point of clarification to help people out when ordering the T600 for T-Mobile with an existing plan. You can opt for an unbranded version or the T-Mobile branded version. Stick with the T-Mobile version, it is unlocked and optimized for T-Mobile. I just got off the phone with Handspring and they explained that only the T600 bought with a new service plan for T-Mobile comes SIM locked.

Also, if you lack a serial number for the $399 upgrade, I recommend checking eBay out. There are several for sale at a reasonable price.
    A rep at Palmone/Handspring told me the T-Mobile optimized version is locked to T-Mobile. Anyone else hear different?
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    echaban

I've already entered my serial # and was accepted. JUst don't want to get caught with some kind of termination fee if you have to sign up with tmobil.

Guess I'll call HS tomorrow and get the ball rolling.

TX
    Only locked if you are buying the phone with a new T-Mobile service contract. If you are an existing T-Mobile user, the phone will not be locked. I got this from a Palm/Hand rep who swore by this.
    Called HS this morning and ordered the t600 upgrade. Told them that I had to be able to use a company sim while traveling.

Rep said no problem, we'll send you an unlock, unbranded phone!
    Guess it helped that I'd already bought from them several times (PalmPilot 1000, 2 Palm IIIc's, and the T270).

Now for the wait for my t600 to be delivered.
    My first post. I've been a lurker for months. Figured since I'm now on the waiting list, time to get in the game.

I ordered the T-Mobile version, using the serial number from my wife's (broken) 180 to get the discount. I'm so ready.
    *sigh* i thought waiting for hs to release t600 for tmo was bad, waiting to finally get your t600 shipped is worst. The anticipation is killing me!
    Given all the missed deadlines in the past, I don't have much faith in the "early March" timeframe they refer to on the web site. I'll be happy to see it by April.

Clearly nobody at HS/Palm/T-Mo ever heard the words "undercommit and overdeliver"

I'd like to be proven wrong though....
    i don't think any of those deadlines were "official" just speculation and rumors, when HS did finally say Mid- Feb they came through. So hopefully they come thru early march.
    I put most of the blame for the delays on T-Mo. Handspring has been shipping GSM product for quite some time. I don't believe there are any significant differences between the various "optimized" versions. I think T-Mo made a big nuisance of themselves and that was what caused the delays.

I'm naturally pessimistic so that also figures into my attitude.
    If you expect the worst, you're never disappointed
    Originally posted by echaban
    I put most of the blame for the delays on T-Mo. Handspring has been shipping GSM product for quite some time. I don't believe there are any significant differences between the various "optimized" versions. I think T-Mo made a big nuisance of themselves and that was what caused the delays.

I'm naturally pessimistic so that also figures into my attitude.
    If you expect the worst, you're never disappointed

TMo representative states that "changes were made in the ROM" to optimize the T600 for the TMobile network. He stated "why would delay introduction of the T600 when there was high demand unless changes were needed".

Of course, he was unable to document what those changes are and why they were needed.

So the question remains, why buy the unbranded generic unlocked T600 when I am promised an unstated improved network performance with a TMobile optimized version if the purchase price is the same?
    Don't forget that a number of T-Mo customers have been using Cingular branded phones quite successfully for some time.

GSM is GSM and GPRS is GPRS. There should be no real need to do anything special to the Treo to make it work with T-Mo's network. In fact T-Mo uses Cingular's towers and switches on the west coast where I live.
    Anyone else feeling a little cynical about the ship date for upgrade orders? I noticed that the Cingular orders for new service shipped before the upgrades. Can we expect Handspring to do the same with us T-Mo types?
    I already preordered the T-mobile optimized phone. I was thinking it would be better since I'll use T-mobile in the USA 99.9% of the time.

However, I do intend to travel to Asia sometimes.

My T270 worked in Asia with no problems.

Does anyone know if this T-mobile optimized T600 will work with SIM cards on the GSM network in Asia or any other country?

Mike
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    Originally posted by chungmike
    I already preordered the T-mobile optimized phone. I was thinking it would be better since I'll use T-mobile in the USA 99.9% of the time.

However, I do intend to travel to Asia sometimes.

My T270 worked in Asia with no problems.

Does anyone know if this T-mobile optimized T600 will work with SIM cards on the GSM network in Asia or any other country?

Mike

probably, but you will need to get the phone unlocked to use the sims.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast