1.    #1  
    I'm in the US. I'm going to get a GSM Treo 600 shortly, because I'm going overseas for an extended time (6-12 months, mostly Europe and India) and want to be able to have simple, straightforward cell and data access while I'm on the road.

Has anybody done this before? Do you have any hints? Thoughts?

Any thoughts as to whether Cingular or AT&T Wireless is better? Seems like Cingular has better service here and ships unlocked phones, but their service reps seem quite unsure if data will work overseas or not, and seem less experienced with international roaming in general. I do NOT want to get overseas and find out nothing works on my new $500 phone.

Who can actually GET me a phone these days? They seem almost impossible to find. PalmOne's website seems the only place to order it.

Anybody know if you can port a phone # over after you get it? (Because PalmOne won't port directly to new AT&T or Cingular Treo customers -- only Sprint.)

Finally -- believe it or not, I don't think I care that much about having an unlocked phone. I am going to be on the move unpredictably, and not using my phone all that much -- I think the hassle of getting new SIM cards in every country and not having a phone # at which I can be consistently reached is not worth the relatively small $$$ it would save me.

Any more ideas?
    I have T-Mobile service on both my BlackBerry and Treo 600. Been with them for years because of their excellent international roaming agreements. AT&T is relatively new to GSM, and they have done a good job setting up roaming agreements.

Note that there are two kinds of roaming agreements: GSM and GPRS. If all you want is phone & SMS, then GSM agreements are for you. If you need e mail and web browsing, then you also need GPRS. Around 250 countries have GSM roaming agreements in place. These are detailed on both T-Mobile and AT&Ts web site. I do not use Cingular.

GPRS agreements are few and far between. T-Mobile has GPRS roaming agreements in place in around 30 countries. A far cry from the 250 GSM roaming agreements.

You indicated that you didn't want to switch SIM cards (I am 100% in agreement with you), but be sure and check your carriers web site so you know what the roaming charges are...

Hope that helps.
  3.    #3  
    It sounds like I might do well to actually go with T-Mobile. I'm a little concerned, because I'm leaving in late April and I want to make sure I can get a phone by then, but it does sound like their combinations of plans, service, and international roaming just can't be beat.

(I suppose if it comes down to it, I can bite the bullet and just order an unlocked T600 from somewhere and pay the extra $$$...)

Thanks for pointing out the difference between GSM and GPRS agreements -- that's a huge help. It looks like T-Mobile has GRPS agreements with a fair swath of the countries I'm going through.

And, yeah, I know well the rates for international roaming. They're not cheap, but I expect to be using the phone for a few minutes every few days, tops. Mucking around with SIM cards from twenty-seven different countries just seems like madness -- and likely to cost me more anyway, as the savings in minutes gets eaten up by SIMs I don't use up, new SIM charges, me not knowing what's going on and buying the wrong one, etc. Plus, I don't know how to say 'I need a SIM for my cell phone' in Romanian.
    I have roamed to the UK, India and inumerable places in Asia (except Japan and Korea of course) with Cingular.

Cingular has good coverage via roaming agreements BUT has very high rates. From what I have seen, T-Mobile has much better roaming rates.

If you are visiting a country for a long time (as I do), I buy a local pre-paid sim card and use a local number. I just change my mobile vmail message to tell people about the new number -- remember to do this as Cingular doesn't let you access your vmail while roaming.

Let me know if you have any other questions (I am roaming in Australia today, flying to Malaysia and Singapore this week).
    Originally posted by midlands
    I'm in the US. I'm going to get a GSM Treo 600 shortly, because I'm going overseas for an extended time (6-12 months, mostly Europe and India) and want to be able to have simple, straightforward cell and data access while I'm on the road.

Has anybody done this before? Do you have any hints? Thoughts?

Any thoughts as to whether Cingular or AT&T Wireless is better? Seems like Cingular has better service here and ships unlocked phones, but their service reps seem quite unsure if data will work overseas or not, and seem less experienced with international roaming in general. I do NOT want to get overseas and find out nothing works on my new $500 phone.

Who can actually GET me a phone these days? They seem almost impossible to find. PalmOne's website seems the only place to order it.

Anybody know if you can port a phone # over after you get it? (Because PalmOne won't port directly to new AT&T or Cingular Treo customers -- only Sprint.)

Finally -- believe it or not, I don't think I care that much about having an unlocked phone. I am going to be on the move unpredictably, and not using my phone all that much -- I think the hassle of getting new SIM cards in every country and not having a phone # at which I can be consistently reached is not worth the relatively small $$$ it would save me.

Any more ideas?

lmao if you're going to europe/asia why in gods name are you looking at the treo....india has by far the most advanced phones i have ever seen...motorola a768 is coming out soon....its a black 96mb memory linux based smartphone, theres the motorola a630...a laptop/phone hybrid twice as powerful as the ux 50...theres the nokia 7200, theres the nokia 9210i communicator, theres the motorola a1000....all hi end phones with the same functionality as a treo. you could get these in the US...but whats the point in doing that when the GSM providers...with the exception of cingular now have very little coverage as opposed to orange and fido and such. wait for about another month for a just-as-expensive Motorola A768...I might pick that one up myself if cingular offers an unlimited data plan...
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by kpepple

If you are visiting a country for a long time (as I do), I buy a local pre-paid sim card and use a local number. I just change my mobile vmail message to tell people about the new number -- remember to do this as Cingular doesn't let you access your vmail while roaming.

I'm interested in purchasing a prepaid SIM for Antigua/Barbuda, but am having trouble finding one. Anyone know of a good source?

Regards,
    Mike
    I just purchased a SIM card from GlobalPhone. the website is www.ghphone.com. They appear to have cards from almost every country including Antigua. Also you might want to investigate their Call Back service
    jbs
    Originally posted by jso11
    I just purchased a SIM card from GlobalPhone. the website is www.ghphone.com.
    Thanks for the post, however, that URL is bad -- should be www.gphone.com, right?

I will give them a try, thanks!
    Is there a website to find out if a country has a GPRS network?

Then... having never purchased a local SIM card, can you buy local SIM card that work on a GPRS network? I have seen SIM cards for GSM, but can't recall GPRS cards.

Thanks

BTW - how can you tell which countries have GPRS agreements with T-Mobile. I just checked out the country list and I can't find GPRS information. Thanks again.