1.    #1  
    What are the advantages of a GSM phone vs Sprint? I know the battery life is better on the GSM, but what about things such as download speeds on GSM, coverage, etc.
    My personal bias towards GSM: SIM card! Here's why:
    1. This way you can have 10 different phones in your possession, and all you have to do is put the SIM card in any of them and you are ready to go.
    2. You can sell the phone on eBay (with Sprint, or CDMA phone, the person buying the phone from you must use Sprint's service).
    3. You can buy any GSM phone on eBay (or anywhere else), and use it with any GSM provider (T-Mobile, Cingular, AT&T, etc.).
    4. Most GSM phones (including the Treo 600) can be used almost anywhere in the world. I came back from China this summer after using my Treo 270 there. No-can-do with Sprint's phone.
    My 2 cents...
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    The worldwide thing isn't that big of a deal anymore, unless you actually need your Treo when you go outside of the US. Every non-GSM carrier in the US offers world phones to rent or buy when going out of the country. Personally, its way cheaped to get a throw away phone in Europe and get a prepaid SIM then to roam there with your US phone.

Joe
    Originally posted by rdbex
    What are the advantages of a GSM phone vs Sprint? I know the battery life is better on the GSM, but what about things such as download speeds on GSM, coverage, etc.
    Download speeds are better with Sprint (but more expensive). In my area (South Florida) there is much better clarity with GSM (T-Mobile--ATT is horrible here). Used to be on Sprint, but T-Mobile is Much cheaper and the call quality was much better.