1.    #1  
    Several sellers on ebay are selling the unlocked cingular phone for $600 (buy it now price).

See http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=15944

Should I continue to wait for tmob? I already have a contract w/ tmob, so I'm not going to get a great deal on the phone when it comes out. So, is there any advantage to waiting when unlocked cingular phones are available now?

I am a bit skepical of the claim that tmob is "optimizing" the phone for its network. What does that really mean? It might just mean that they are locking the phone, which to the service provider, might be seen as an enhancement...
    T-mobile has already shipped a very few phones for new corporate accounts (I have one) and they have put up a Treo 600 support page on their site so it seems likely it will be available from Handspring soon but no one really knows. There has been info rumoured that T-mo will never offer it at retail except through the corporate sales division - that only HS will.

For what it is worth, I can't see any obvious difference on firmware numbers etc between my phone and the Cingular phone but T-mo seems to saydifferent.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    T-mobile has already shipped a very few phones for new corporate accounts (I have one) and they have put up a Treo 600 support page on their site so it seems likely it will be available from Handspring soon but no one really knows. There has been info rumoured that T-mo will never offer it at retail except through the corporate sales division - that only HS will.

For what it is worth, I can't see any obvious difference on firmware numbers etc between my phone and the Cingular phone but T-mo seems to saydifferent.
    Baltimore, whats your Tmo supplied firmware numbers exactly? anyone know what the firmware name is for the handspring supplied unlocked one ?

i had a cingular one, updated with the INT (international) firmware available online, and now the Cingular graphics are replaced with generic Handspring ones- same as the unlocked HS ones and i think the Tmo Corp. supplied ones.

i suspect we've all been taken. there are some reasons for Tmo dragging its feet with the Treo 6, but system and firmware 'optimization' most likely isn't one of em. if it is, they'll update the firmware, as i suspect what Tmo is sending to its corp. customers is the same generic firmware you can get online.
    firmware: 02.05
    software: Treo600-1.08-INT
    Hardware: B

I've heard speculation that the INT means unlocked but
    I don't have a SIM to test it with.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    I've heard speculation that the INT means unlocked but
    I don't have a SIM to test it with.

I thought that INT meant International version. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Cingular$-$branded$ $versions$ ($unlocked$) $are$:
    Software: Treo600-1.0x-CNG

My Treo600 is the International version, and came with the INT version of the software. All the manuals that came with my Treo were in Spanish...
    I've been in contact with Tmo and HS just about every two weeks since the Oct. release of the Sprint T600. Up until lst week all I ever got out of either company's CSRs was "We know nothing" more or less. However, last week that changed. prompted by a thread on this board, i called Tmo and specifically asked about the rumored Feb.2 consumer relase date. A Tmo CSR confirmed that for me. She read me what sounded to be an internal memo stating that the consumer launch of the T600 for Tmo would begin on Feb. 2.

I then called HS/PO to see if they had any new info to add to this customer service breakthrough. I specifically asked about the unlocked Cing phone and if the Tmo version was any different (firmware update?). He told me that in testing, the Cing T600 woked perfectly on Tmo for voice application, however, he said that data speeds were much slower. He gave me a "well, to be perfectly honest with you man..." and said the data speeds of a Cing phone on Tmo were VERY slow.

Take this with a grain of salt and FWIW and all that... but that's what I was told. If anyone can discredit that, please do. Personally, I'm holding out until Feb 2, if Tmo is still yanking us around by then, I'll buy an unlocked model.
    i wouldnt want to try tmo on the Cing firmware. but my GPRS is real nice with the INTernational firmware for unlocked phones going around. very nice.
    Wait for T-Mobile. Treo 600 on eBay are overpriced and, even if they are unlocked (Cingular does not lock but AT&T does), it is still made for Cingular's specifications (PalmOne's own advice).
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain