Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Excuse my ignorance I just got off the phone with "customer service to find out what kind of data plan I have. After an hour of her constantly putting me on hold to check she told me I have 1 meg for $7.99 per month and that I can upgrade to 8 megs for $19.99. My question is how much is a meg, is that a little? alot? would I be able to use PDANet occaisonally? If I go over it is 1c per K. Thanx in advance.
    It really all depends on your usage pattern. BUT there are tools out there that will measure the data size downloaded. You would do well to rely on them.

About a 1000 letters/numbers is 1K, 1000K is 1Mb, go figure. See it is tough to measure usage, except with a tool. Hope this helps.
    My advice is to make sure you have images turned off in the web browser and check your data use on the ATTWS site to see how you're doing. I got burned by ATT in my first month by not doing this. ATT really needs to come up with a respectable data plan for T600 users!
    > ...My question is how much is a meg...

This web page:

-- http://www.cnn.com/

was about 50,000 bytes in size when I visited it just now. That means you can visit it 20 times a month before you hit a 1-megabyte data limit (*).

I tend to visit that page at least 20 times per day.

As another measure - since I logged on this morning about an hour ago, more or less, I've transferred (both directions combined) about 18 megabytes due SOLELY to "surfing" various web sites such as CNN, Yahoo, TreoCentral, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.

No "file transfers" at all.

> ...is that a little? alot?...

You decide.

======

(*) Absolute sizes of web pages are only part of the story, of course, since downloading web pages ALSO requires UPLOADING "web page download instructions/handshaking". Not to mention all the other data uses that go on totally hidden to you.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 01/08/2004 at 06:27 AM.
    Originally posted by prowler
    It really all depends on your usage pattern. BUT there are tools out there that will measure the data size downloaded. You would do well to rely on them.
    Actually, there don't seem to be any such tools available for the T600.