Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I've had my Treo 600 for about 3 weeks now, and I feel that I can give a fairly complete impression of my Treo 600 on AT&T's service. I am going to forego the old, beath-to-death hardware comments and stick to what I see that works and what doesn't. A bit of background: I am a fairly technically proficient guy who can build/install his own Windows PC from boxed parts and build/maintain his own home network (wired/wireless). I can even install Linux and get up & running, provided there's a GUI I can muck about in. So, basically, that makes me about as computer literate as your average internet n00b who discovered the 'Net via AOL (I have since moved on, thankfully!) I work as a registered nurse in a busy ER and I use my Treo as my pocket reference (drug guide, disease lookup, textbooks, etc.), plus I send the occasional SMS and look up sports scores/news when it strikes me. I always keep the wireless mode turned on, in silent mode, while at work.

So, that having been said, on to my experiences:
    The Treo device itself: No complaints, aside from the earpiece speaker being a little buzzy. One of my coworkers has one and his earpiece speaker doesn't work at all. He uses a headset exclusively, however, and it's not an issue... for him. My battery life has been great. My Treo can make it thru 12 hours of Palm-type use with power to spare so I can make calls during my drive home. I keep it plugged in constantly when I am not using it. I currently 'protect' it with a beautiful Classic 795 case from Vaja Cases
    Software: All the bundled applications work with the Treo. I have had a problem sending mail with the Treo, but I think that's an issue with my ISP and not the device itself (I can receive mail). I also tried out a few Palm OS 5-compatible titles and they work as well, like Documents to Go and Acrobat Reader for Palm (taken from my old Sony Clie's install CD). I've found that older applications like Diddlebug and BugMe! will not work and will crash the device. Certain older Skyscape products do not display properly but still function as advertised (eg: dropdown bars do not display correctly). Also, Tarascon Pharmacopoeia (another drug guide) will not work with the Treo and I'm currently receiving a credit on my subscription until they figure a workaround. PocketTunes rules! I hope to get a better set of earphones so I can truly enjoy my music. Expansion memory works wonderfully; I have a SanDisk 256MB card that's not yet filled up.
    Service: Voice quality is excellent, Ability to send/receive calls has improved somewhat over my old Motorola T720. Dropped calls happen less frequently. The only complaint that I do have involved the sensitivity of the microphone. The speakerphone is virtually useless unless inside in a noise controlled environment. When placing the phone to my ear, people I speak to say I sound much louder and they can hear more background noises. Data service is awesome! I'm gonna put myself in the poorhouse unless AT&T changes it's data plans! Browsing most pages is a snap: Palm-formatted sites are even better (thank you, TreoEssentials)! I came from a WAP-enabled/Java-based phone, and this is nearly a full browsing experience. Data speed is adequate: I get around 15-18KB/sec, which is doable for me. Any faster, and I will need a line of credit at the bank for my AT&T bill. Sending SMS/MMS and using VeriChat both work terrific.

Overall, I rate it as a 'buy' for my needs and my market. It is expensive, especially if you're an existing customer with AT&T. Expect to pay $500 or more for the phone, less if you're switching service to them. However, factor in the 'one-device-on-your-hip' aspect along with the 'whiz-bang' effect it has on your friends & family and that makes the cost more palatable.

My wish list is twofold: a better screen resolution, and the camera should be deleted, unless there is a way to include a 1MP camera. Seriously, a Clie NR80v takes fantastic pictures with an integrated 1.4MP camera... anything less than that resolution is really pointless to include.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    AT&T may prevent relaying of email. See for some tips on how to get it to work.

Bug Me has just been updated. I'm using Didle bug 2.6 with no issues.

Your co-worker should call handspring about that no working speaker.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I found the workaround for sending email.

I like to use my existing email account to occasionally send mail from my Treo. I don't want/need a seperate email account. So, after much searching on AT&T's site, I found the answer.

In Mail, change your outgoing (SMTP) server to:
    smtp.attwireless.net
    Leave the user name and password for outgoing mail blank.

Et voila! Sending email is functional.

Now, to remove that damn '=20' from between my name.
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    <<Now, to remove that damn '=20' from between my name.>>

Did you ever find a resolution to this? No problem on my Treo, but my wife has this on hers.
    This SMTP setting is not a work around. It is the way most ISP's work. You have to use their smtp server.

Quote Originally Posted by cphil674
    I found the workaround for sending email.

I like to use my existing email account to occasionally send mail from my Treo. I don't want/need a seperate email account. So, after much searching on AT&T's site, I found the answer.

In Mail, change your outgoing (SMTP) server to:
    smtp.attwireless.net
    Leave the user name and password for outgoing mail blank.

Et voila! Sending email is functional.

Now, to remove that damn '=20' from between my name.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Eliminate the space between names and you will eliminate the =20. Does anyone have a more elegant solution?
    That is the question I'm asking. My Treo doesn't have this problem, but my wife's does. I've never seen this happen on any PC, Palm, or PocketPC client. It almost looks like a MIME isue.