Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Even if the T-Mo version is unlocked, the chance that "optmization" might include the T-Jingle becoming the default ringtone after every reset is enough to make me opt for the generic version...
    We have two Treo 600s from T-Mobile, ordered from a corporate sales rep., and they have no T-Mobile branding on them whatsoever. Nothing at all. The only branding on it is the Handspring logo on the front and back.

And, of course, the T-Mobile jingle sound
  3.    #83  
    I ordered the T-Mobile optimized unlocked Treo 600. They confirm that it is unlocked out of the box and even claim that it packs in better performance with data download speeds. Not sure how much of an improvement it is, but what have you got to lose if T-Mobile insures that it is unlocked?

I can't wait!!!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    I just got off the phone with Handspring/PalmOne.

Was told that the T-Mobile Optimized phone is not unlocked, that it cannot be used on another carrier, and that there was absolutely no difference in performance between the two.

So... who do we believe?

I ordered the Unlocked one, because I don't want to be stuck with T-Mobile forever if I don't have to be.

Thoughts?

StacyB
  5. dhl
    According to the PalmOne CSR I spoke to, "optimized" = locked + branding and settings software. If you order an unlocked T-Mobile unit, what you will actually get is the generic GSM model which has finally been released. She also said there was no difference in performance. I ordered the generic as well.
    Last edited by dhl; 02/10/2004 at 06:13 PM.
    Makes me feel a little bit better about ordering the unlocked version. I'll just be happy as a kid on Christmas when I finally get mine. Speaking of which, anyone wanna buy a color sidekick and a barely used HP Ipaq 2210/15?? ;-)

Stacy
    Good grief, more controversy. What is it with this company? Can't they just make a product, market it, and ship it like most other companies without double talk, misleadings and BS? Guess it's just me.
    Thanks for letting me share...

TD
    Handspring/PalmOne is certainly not the worst at getting products out the door correctly.

Any HP injet has either a CXi, or CSi depending on where you bought it but they are the same thing. And we all know HP drivers need some help. Heck... everything that has software needs help.

Ultimately, that damned Start button down to the left of what your reading leads me to believe that there is no possible way a product could be released without controversy!

PalmOS has managed to be remarkably stable as it changes.

Derek

P.S. Don't ever let Microsoft touch your toaster!
    Originally posted by stacyb
    I just got off the phone with Handspring/PalmOne.

Was told that the T-Mobile Optimized phone is not unlocked, that it cannot be used on another carrier, and that there was absolutely no difference in performance between the two.

So... who do we believe?

I ordered the Unlocked one, because I don't want to be stuck with T-Mobile forever if I don't have to be.

Thoughts?

StacyB
    Yeah, T-Mo has a great reputation for unlocking people's phones on request. No biggie. Thing is no US GSM carrier has calling and data plans that are a better value than T-Mo. Annoying as T-Mo can be, I'll be sticking with them. If I choose to leave, the'll certainly unlock my phone.
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy

... snip ...

Ultimately, that damned Start button down to the left of what your reading leads me to believe that there is no possible way a product could be released without controversy!

... snip...
    What 'Start' button?

Mine's a foot or a red fedora... if I decide to put it in the left corner.. or the right... or the top... or decide to run a windowing gui at all...

(There _are_ other choices)
    Originally posted by jaytee

What 'Start' button?

Mine's a foot or a red fedora... if I decide to put it in the left corner.. or the right... or the top... or decide to run a windowing gui at all...

(There _are_ other choices)
    Can we please not go there.... ? This is TreoCentral, not LinuxCentral or WindowsBashingCentral.
    Change is inevitable, except from vending machines. --Ironicles (lesser known cousin of a famous Greek teacher).

USR PalmPilot 5000 --> Handspring Prism --> Dell Axim X5 (UGH!!) --> Treo 600
    Originally posted by echaban

Yeah, T-Mo has a great reputation for unlocking people's phones on request. No biggie. Thing is no US GSM carrier has calling and data plans that are a better value than T-Mo. Annoying as T-Mo can be, I'll be sticking with them. If I choose to leave, the'll certainly unlock my phone.
    The real problem will be if Cingular fails in it's attempt to buy ATT and then buys T-Mobile. Cingular has lousy customer support and lousy data service. Cingular does not have a SMTP server for sending email. Cingular also has very high costs for data. What happens to our current plans?
    Originally posted by Matthew

Can we please not go there.... ? This is TreoCentral, not LinuxCentral or WindowsBashingCentral.
    Hmmm... I didn't bash windows. The poster I referred to did though. My problem is that he assummed that everyone was using windows. Some people might be using other OS's on this board. Maybe even Mac OS.

I'll, personally, use whatever OS is appropriate for the job at hand, be it Palm, Windows, Linux, Symbian, BeOS, pSOS, VxWorks, ...

And the thread is already a PalmBashingCentral thread... which is probably a bit overboard too. The real problem is that this is supposed to be a thread about T-Mo finally putting out the treo (or allowing a t-600 out with their branding) and the discussion has a side thread on OS's

I'm just happy that a real t-mo t-600 is, theoretically, going to be in my hands in March.
  14.    #94  
    I use multiple OS environments as well and they all have their pros and cons.

I changed my order to the unbranded, unlocked GSM Treo 600. I was hearing too many conflicting stories and thought I'd just be sure by going with the unbranded one. Plus, a generic Treo 600 would probably have better resale value should I decide to put in on eBay when the Treo 610 comes out.

Joke of the Day:
    Q: How many Microsoft programmers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. They just redefine darkness as the new standard.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Does anyone know how much the per picture cost will be if I do not get the "unlimited picture" upgrade? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Palmone (that still sounds like a brand of cheese to me) site
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Does anyone know how much the per picture cost will be if I do not get the "unlimited picture" upgrade? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Palmone (that still sounds like a brand of cheese to me) site
    sending a picture with t-mo?

if is charged as data if you send it with snapper mail, so it will cost what ever your data plan is.

if you send it via mms, it will cost 25cents.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    T MOBILE wont ship the treo till end of March. You can pre order them now, but will not recive them till end of march early april. They want to see the demand for the device, befor they take on the overhead.
    dont belive Palm One. they wont tell you that is is un locked,it most likly will be unlocked, but you won' hear that from palm,
    Originally posted by mberse
    T MOBILE wont ship the treo till end of March. You can pre order them now, but will not recive them till end of march early april. They want to see the demand for the device, befor they take on the overhead.
    what is the source of your rumor? or is it unsubstantiated?
    Originally posted by Felipe

sending a picture with t-mo?

if is charged as data if you send it with snapper mail, so it will cost what ever your data plan is.

if you send it via mms, it will cost 25cents.
    Yes, thank you, I was talking about t-mobile. Do you also happen to know if I choose not to go for the unlimited data rate, can I still use the GPRS connection with my regular minutes? And at what cost?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast