Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I have a Cingular Treo 600 on the T-Mobile network and have been considering installing the International FW Upgrade for a couple of weeks now. I haven't noticed any call distortion or echo problems, but Blazer and GPRS could be faster. I was just about to install the 2.08 version but then I read a couple of posts that spoke to a loss of battery life as a result of installing the update. So in my quest to be diligent, I post these questions to the group:

Are there any Treo 600 users out there (Cingular Treo 600 on T-Mobile's network) that have upgraded to 2.08 or 2.09?

What are your experiences?

Does 2.09 fix the battery issue that people experienced in 2.08?

Is the added battery drain nominal or really noticeable? (Please express in percentages if possible - Example: Battery life has decreased by 40% since the update). One of the major improvements of the Treo 600 over the Treo 270 is the increased battery life. I would hate to regress in this area.

I'm taking advantage of the free WAP access on T-Mobile's network via T-Zones. Has anyone who has performed the update noticed any problems with continuing this access?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Originally posted by jeeter
    [BAre there any Treo 600 users out there (Cingular Treo 600 on T-Mobile's network) that have upgraded to 2.08 or 2.09? [/B]
    I have Cingular Treo 600 on the T-mobile network and upgraded to 2.09. The only caveat I'd add to list of instructions posted with the firmware updates is to make a note of your MMS settings. The upgrade wipes out the settings so you will need these to restore mms functionality.

Does 2.09 fix the battery issue that people experienced in 2.08?
    [/B]
    I haven't used my phone enough since the 2.09 upgrade to give you any valuable insight here. So far I haven't noticed any difference between the Cingular 2.03 and the International 2.09 with regard to battery life.

I'm taking advantage of the free WAP access on T-Mobile's network via T-Zones. Has anyone who has performed the update noticed any problems with continuing this access?
    Thanks in advance for any replies. [/B]
    I have the unlimited T-zones on my account and that continues to work flawlessly with the added benefit of noticeably faster GPRS speed. Again you will have to go back into network preferences and choose T-zones as it defaults to T-mobile internet after the upgrade.

With regard to the voice call quality, I haven't notices any difference but this was generally fine before the update.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info Prismatic. I look forward to your future observations regarding any battery drain issues. Happy New Year!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    HI all, i was a little confused with all of the talk about firmware updates, so I wrote HS/Pa1mone about it., I am Sprint and the software update is NOT FOR SPRINT USERS OF TREO 600!!! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I really had no problems with my cingular t600 on t-mobiles network before the upgrade to 2.8. After the upgrade I did notice significant more battery drain and an annoying buzz when on a phone calls. My gprs speeds did increase from 25k to 38k, but if you ask me, I would rather have the battery back and the sound quality. i upgraded to 2.9 to see if it would fix the problems, and they still remain. My final thoughts on the upgrades, IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!! Guess ill have to wait until handsping comes out with an official fw upgrade.
    Originally posted by tarin0268
    I really had no problems with my cingular t600 on t-mobiles network before the upgrade to 2.8. After the upgrade I did notice significant more battery drain and an annoying buzz when on a phone calls. My gprs speeds did increase from 25k to 38k, but if you ask me, I would rather have the battery back and the sound quality. i upgraded to 2.9 to see if it would fix the problems, and they still remain. My final thoughts on the upgrades, IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!! Guess ill have to wait until handsping comes out with an official fw upgrade.
    Your experience with the firmware upgrade was interesting to me, I also upgraded my Cingular Phone from Cingular Version 2.03 to International Version 2.09.

I also noted the increase in GPRS speed but haven't had any problems with voice calls at all, no buzzing and the occasional echo I would experience when using the speaker phone prior to the upgrade is gone.

The echo problem was so intermittent that perhaps its just a matter that I haven't used the phone enough on speakerphone to have the problem resurface.

My battery life has not been significantly impacted either perhaps 1 to 2%, I manually disconnect from the network when not using data services through the preferences dialogue ( I did this prior to the upgrade as well).

Overall I've been happy with the firmware update, and look forward to future upgrades especially the one specific to the tmobile network (which is my carrier) that should become available soon.

Have you tried to use your phone immediately after upgrading prior to restoring your applications and data? I'm curious if you have any 3rd party applications that may be causing any of your problems?
    Last edited by Prismatic; 01/07/2004 at 09:07 PM.
    I tried using the phone previous to re-installing any 3rd party applications and I still get the buzzing sound. I did find something very interesting though, when I plugged the phone into the charger while talking and the buzzing went away! The buzzing can only be heard on the other end, so I had my wife call me from work on a land line and on her cell. The buzzing was heard when I had the phone unplugged when talking on both lines we tried. I still had about 25% battery so I wonder if the new firmware increases the power to radio(hence faster GPRS) but at the same time if the battery is low, the higher power consumption causes you to get the buzzing sound in the background because maybe the radio doesn't quit have the juice it needs to transmit a clear signal..?? People I talk to also hear the buzz when the phone is fully charged, although it is not as loud. Also, I do not turn off the GPRS connection when I am done using it, but I was under the impression that this really does not that make that big of a difference as far as battery life goes. I didn't turn it off before I upgraded either, and I still did not see the battery loss I am seeing now. Again, this makes me suspect that the firmware upgrade has changed this by increasing the power to the radio. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by tarin0268
    I tried using the phone previous to re-installing any 3rd party applications and I still get the buzzing sound. I did find something very interesting though, when I plugged the phone into the charger while talking and the buzzing went away! The buzzing can only be heard on the other end, so I had my wife call me from work on a land line and on her cell. The buzzing was heard when I had the phone unplugged when talking on both lines we tried. I still had about 25% battery so I wonder if the new firmware increases the power to radio(hence faster GPRS) but at the same time if the battery is low, the higher power consumption causes you to get the buzzing sound in the background because maybe the radio doesn't quit have the juice it needs to transmit a clear signal..?? People I talk to also hear the buzz when the phone is fully charged, although it is not as loud. Also, I do not turn off the GPRS connection when I am done using it, but I was under the impression that this really does not that make that big of a difference as far as battery life goes. I didn't turn it off before I upgraded either, and I still did not see the battery loss I am seeing now. Again, this makes me suspect that the firmware upgrade has changed this by increasing the power to the radio. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
    At first I was going to suggest that the problem was due to a faulty phone until you stated that these problems only started 'AFTER' you upgraded the firmware.

What is the hardware version of your phone? From phone dial pad screen>menu>options>phone info

Mine now reads:
    Firmware: 02.09
    Software: Treo600-1.09-INT
    Hardware: B

If your hardware version matches I wouldn't know what the differences could be that would yield such drastically different results with the same firmware update. Perhaps someone else could shed some insight.
    I got the same shpeal on my AT&T Wireless Treo 600

Software: Treo600 - 1.09-INT

So far, no problems or anything negative happening to my Treo 600. If anything, the audio has improved a tad at the expense of a little battery life. I do admit, that the upgrade has some significant difference in regards to improvement from the previous software I had (2.04). The distortion problem with audio still exists, but not as much as before when I was running 2.04. Again, NO negative effects after upgrading to 2.09. There are a few independent mobile phone shops here in San Francisco trying to rip off people by upgrading Treo owners by upgrading their unit to 2.08 and 2.09 with the same downloadable firmware updater for about $50 a pop! Scammers....
    "What good is a smartphone when it's MORE smart and LESS phone?"
    Software: Treo600 - 1.09-INT

I am now able to maintain a GPRS (T-Mobile) connection at my desk at work. Before the firmware update, service was very intermittant and non-existant most of the time. I would have to walk to a window to check e-mail.
    I am using 2.09 now after having upgraded my Cingular 600 from 2.04 to 2.08 and then 2.09.

I did notice a slight decrease in battery life (less than 20%) but my audio quality went up dramatically.

I'm not an expert in all things cellular but I believe that part of the firmware update may have tweaked the power output of the RF deck (the radio) portion of the phone hence the reduced battery life. Besides that HS might have also tweaked the CODEC software to improve overall sound quality or turned up other software settable gain controls.

Try leaving a phone on in a zero/marginal service area for a day - you will kill your battery in no time flat. In urban/well covered areas you tend to get good to excellent signals and the phone responds by backing off on the output power.

It's always a fine balance between power consumption and voice quality with cellphone manufacturers doing "more with less".

As usual - YMMV depending on where you take the phone, how much you use it and network health factors.

My CDN $.02 worth (now $.0145 in US dollars)

DemonJ