Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    AT&T does not offer equipment insurance through their third party provider (lock/line, formerly Lockton Ins. Group).

I tried contacting Safeware, but they state they will not insure the Treo 600 due to the complexity of the device (camera, MP3 player, PDA).

Is thee anyone out there that will insure my baby?? I seem to remember PDAsLostOrStolen.com (I had that on my Visor Platinum) but they've gone the way of the dodo bird.

Any advice from the learned ones out there?
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by cphil674
    AT&T does not offer equipment insurance through their third party provider (lock/line, formerly Lockton Ins. Group).

I tried contacting Safeware, but they state they will not insure the Treo 600 due to the complexity of the device (camera, MP3 player, PDA).

Is thee anyone out there that will insure my baby?? I seem to remember PDAsLostOrStolen.com (I had that on my Visor Platinum) but they've gone the way of the dodo bird.

Any advice from the learned ones out there?
    I know of none for the AT&T version. But I never buy extended warranties or anything like that anyway. And I take high deductibles on my car and home insurance to keep the premiums low... makes much more financial sense.

My philosophy: Insurance (health, life, car, home, any kind) is to cover the unlikely event of a CATASTROPHIC loss. Loss of a $400 cell phone or even a $1000 laptop is not catstrophic in my book. I self-insure, that is, I eat the cost of repair/replacement if needed. But I can afford it.

I take good care of my equipment. I shop smart. I delay my gratification. I don't buy on credit (except assets that appreciate in value, like a house). I don't know your finanical situation, but I see too many young and older people these days going out on a financial limb to have the latest and greatest, designer everything, even if they have to pay 18% annual interest for 3 or 5 years to have it. That kind of behavior is bad for one's financial health.

Same goes for extended warranties and insurance on trivial consumer goods like TVs, cell phones, etc. If somebody needs it because they can't afford to replace/repair the goods, then probably don't have enough income or assets to afford the thing in the first place. They probably should forget cell phone service entirely. It's a total luxury and convenience; rich and poor got along fine without it for thousands of years, right up until about 20 years ago.

If somebody really needs a cell phone and can't afford to replace it, they should get a low-end free model with a contract from a service provider, and not the most expensive one requiring paying $$$. If you lose that one, just get another free one with a contract extension.

The cost of the insurance coverage is a suckers's bet, from the point of view of the insurer. They offer the policies because they make money on it; they know that they take in more money than they will pay out in claims.

I think it's like driving a car: if you can't afford to get it dinged, you can't afford to drive it.
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I agree, but you should take into account the 'klutz factor'.

I work in an environment that gets me exposed to some less than favorable mediums, and try as I might, accidents occur. Sometimes I can get clumsy, and with a $550 object, that gets expensive. I do self-insure when appropriate, but I have found that most new cellphones do not stand the test of time. My last PDA was the victim of a power surge while charging in the cradle, hence my need for the Treo. I had insurance on my previous AT&T phones and it worked out for the better: I went thru FIVE phones in the space of a year (one burnt out, two had destroyed screens, and two had inexplicable failures). AT&T replaced all five with comparable new models at zero deductible, overnighted to my door. That was worth the insurance cost I paid.

As far as high deductibles, yes you're right, provided you manage your money accordingly and have funds available to cover said deductible. That's the way I manage my auto insurance, since I don't have a house yet.

BTW, if you shop smart and delay gratification, how can you justify owning the 'new hotness' like a Treo 600?? Not like they're exactly giving them away or growing on trees...

Thanks for the advice...
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by cphil674
    I agree, but you should take into account the 'klutz factor'.

I work in an environment that gets me exposed to some less than favorable mediums, and try as I might, accidents occur. Sometimes I can get clumsy, and with a $550 object, that gets expensive. I do self-insure when appropriate, but I have found that most new cellphones do not stand the test of time. My last PDA was the victim of a power surge while charging in the cradle, hence my need for the Treo. I had insurance on my previous AT&T phones and it worked out for the better: I went thru FIVE phones in the space of a year (one burnt out, two had destroyed screens, and two had inexplicable failures). AT&T replaced all five with comparable new models at zero deductible, overnighted to my door. That was worth the insurance cost I paid.

As far as high deductibles, yes you're right, provided you manage your money accordingly and have funds available to cover said deductible. That's the way I manage my auto insurance, since I don't have a house yet.

BTW, if you shop smart and delay gratification, how can you justify owning the 'new hotness' like a Treo 600?? Not like they're exactly giving them away or growing on trees...

Thanks for the advice...
    Klutz factor? More like a black cloud hanging over your head!!! There is a term in Yiddish... Dybbuk (pron. "dibbik") which means sort of an evil ghost/spirit which can bring about all kinds of bad things. Looks like a dybbuk might be following you!

I delay gratification, but not forever, at least long enough to be able to save enough money to pay cash (or not carry credit card balance) for things that I want, but only after I max out my 401(k) plan contribution and put money into my savings account.

I bought my recently retired Palm Vx half off list price during a special promotion at the Palm booth at a software developers' trade show in 1999. The Vx model was brand new and Palm was offering 50% off for developers to encourage development for that platform (8MB was a lot of PDA RAM back then). I used it for roughly 4 years with only one drop earlier this year, it caused the screen digitizer to go flaky (Palm V/Vx devices are famous for this, but couldn't know that at time of purchase).

I admit to drooling over various toys recently, but needed to replace the Palm Vx, and was tired of carrying around a separate phone. Now, on the LifeCycle at the gym, I can read AvantGo news or reply to email, while listening to MP3s on my Treo600, and occasionally taking or making a call, too. All in one device! I love convergence, but I'll never admit to sneaking pics of the hotttie girls on the nearby exercise machines with the Treo 600 camera!

Next toy for which I'm saving for: Canon EOS 10d digital SLR, to use with my collection fo Canon EOS lenses (anybody want to by a few Canon EOS film camera bodies?). I won't insure that stuff, either (though it's probably covered to some degree under my homeowner's personal effects, though my choice of deductible means I'll probably never file a claim on just the camera gear).
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!