Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At first I was really disappointed with T-Mobile. I was all set to buy the Treo 600 today and now I have to wait even longer. But this might just be a blessing in disguise. Since according to eweek, an awesome PDA Phone made by Apple is coming!!! Yep Yep Hooray!!!! Thank God I waited!!!!

The following comes from: Mac rumors and eWeek:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1414502,00.asp

...and I've heard of an Apple prototype making the rounds in Silicon Valley. ... I'm hoping for a surprise next year.

Recent unconfirmed whispers, however, have indicated that Apple has been actively developing at least two phone-based products in their labs: One being an Apple-based phone which Apple has been working on alongside with Nokia. The second being an next generation iPod with built-in phone features. One major feature is reportedly the ability to log into users' machines via a "thin client" to allow for a degree of location-independent workflow. When or if these devices will eventually make their way to market is unclear.

Also unclear is whether or not these rumored phone devices necessarily are related to the Apple prototype handheld that is rumored to be making the rounds in Silicon Valley.
    Cool! I wonder what the Apple phone will look like? No doubt that it will be an amazing design. I just wonder how well the OS will work and how good the phone will be.
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Not to burst your bubbles, guys, but the rumored "Apple Phone" has been a non-existent product for several years now. This rumor (along with others, such as the buyout of Apple by Disney, the Tablet Mac, the return of the Newton, the switch to Intel chips, etc.) just never seems to die.

Steve Jobs has said on several occasions that Apple isn't interested in making phones, and I believe him.

I wouldn't hold out for this product, in other words. Chances are, you'll be without a phone for quite a while if you do.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    I have been waiting for an Apple phone/organizer for several years now. It makes sense that just when i finally get my Treo and lock myself into a contract that they come out with one (Hopefully). I think they were waiting for me to commit to another expensive piece of technology before word hit the streets. On the other hand I have heard many rumors in the past so I guess we will have to wait and see. Hopefully it will use a lite version of OS X!
    Even if the Apple phone were real, I don't think they could come close to matching Palm OS in terms of available software titles and compatibility. The designs would be sure to please though. Apple has always been on the cutting edge of innovation and new design.

So far, my money is still on the Treo 600 for my phone/PDA. If it would just hurry up and get cleared for take-off from T-Mobile!!
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    Not to burst your bubbles, guys, but the rumored "Apple Phone" has been a non-existent product for several years now. This rumor (along with others, such as the buyout of Apple by Disney, the Tablet Mac, the return of the Newton, the switch to Intel chips, etc.) just never seems to die.

Steve Jobs has said on several occasions that Apple isn't interested in making phones, and I believe him.

I wouldn't hold out for this product, in other words. Chances are, you'll be without a phone for quite a while if you do.
    When AppleComputers became a company, it's name came strangely enough from a record label. (Some may even remember that infamous half Green apple label on 45's) That label, as many may know, is the record label that the legendary Beatles were signed to back in the sixities. Jobs, being such a devoted Beatles fan, adapted the name Apple Computers for his company name as a testament to the ageless Beatles. Since then, Apple Records has sued Apple Computers on several occasions for trademark infringement and Apple Records won multi-million dollar settlements from Apple Computers. In addition, Jobs signed an agreement that Apple computers would never go into the music business and infringe on the Apple records trademark or to confuse consumers. Jobs also testified back then that he had no interest in the music business, and would never go into the music business. As we all know, decades later, Jobs is leading the company that sells the hottest and most popular MP3 player in the world, that of course, being the Apple Ipod. Apple records sued again, and won another multi-million dollar settlement from Apple computers. As if this wasn't enough, Apple further defied it's long standing agreement with Apple records, and launched Itunes, clearly the most sucessful online music download service earlier this year. Once again, Apple was served with another lawsuit from Apple records. That suit is now pending, and a settlement is being discussed.

My whole point? Never say never, especially when it comes to Jobs. Apple will have a PDA and/or PDA phone, and don't be surprised if it isn't introduced next month at MacWorld. Stay tuned!
    shf
    Originally posted by shfawaz
    My whole point? Never say never, especially when it comes to Jobs. Apple will have a PDA and/or PDA phone, and don't be surprised if it isn't introduced next month at MacWorld. Stay tuned!
    I disagree, and put this in the "constant rumor" pile. But to your credit, Jobs has said recently that he doesn't want to build a PDA because he sees cell phones taking over that market. However, there have been a number of these rumors swirling around... I think Jobs believes in the technology, but he would rather focus his efforts on making it work with the Mac than on creating a digital uberphone. This was the whole idea behind Apple's work in integrating Bluetooth and iSync in partnership (originally) with Sony-Ericsson. But believe me, Apple doesn't want to get into the whole phones/carriers/plans business. They're too much into control over their product lines and where things are sold, etc. The cell phone industry, if you want to be successful, takes all of this away.

What I do believe that Apple will introduce once they can do so at a reasonable price point is a thin-client display type of device. I envision a future household with one desktop computer - the hub - and digital lifestyle devices connected via 802.11/bluetooth. Several touch-screen displays would exist throughout the house equipped with 802.11 for connectivity, and bluetooth or USB for input devices. Minimal hardware and a thin-client version of OS X would allow access to a user's account on the desktop computer. This way you can access your data at several terminals or wirelessly without having the expense (or even the weight) of a notebook.

Several existing Apple technologies point to something like this in the big picture down the road. One is Rendezvous, allowing auto-discovery of such devices and streaming media and printer sharing between them and the desktop. Another is multiple simultaneous logins, which doesn't do too much for anyone on Panther now but would be great for allowing multiple terminal users to be looking at different information from the same computer. Yet another is Inkwell, the evolution of the Newton's handwriting recognition software, which right now is useful only if you have a graphics/pen tablet.

This would also make more sense from a business standpoint - it might be hard for Joe Dad to buy a Mac for everyone in the family, but it might not be as hard to convince him to pick up that G5 and a few reasonably-priced tablet-terminals so the kids can download iTunes while Dad's working in Excel or whatever.

Just my $.02

S
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    They're too much into control over their product lines and where things are sold, etc. The cell phone industry, if you want to be successful, takes all of this away.

I couldn't agree more. There's no way Jobs is going to relinquish that much control over his products to an ATT or Cingular. It's just not the Apple way.

By the way, the company was not named after the record label. Cupertino, home of Apple computer, was once full of Apple orchards; Jobs thought a simple and familiar name like Apple would be easier to brand, and, as usual, he was right. Apple is one of the most-recognized brands in the world.

The Apple records lawsuits are lame attempts to bilk more money out of the computer company. If you were to say "Apple" to most people on the planet, far more of them would think of the computer than the record label. (Most would think of the fruit, actually, but that's beside the point.) Apple will most likely settle again, to shut the label up for another few years. But the profits from increased iPod sales will more than offset the legal issues involved.

And that's the difference. Apple sells music products because it's a market that they can control and make profit in. Selling phones is a lousy market to make money from, if you aren't getting a cut of the monthly service charges. Phones are often given away, or highly subsidized, because T-Mobile and Verizon make far more money on the fat two-year contracts and minute-overages. Apple wouldn't get a cut of the real profits, so they'd be forced to sell the phone at 7 or 8 hundred dollars, and only the Mac nuts would buy it.

Handspring has learned this lesson the hard way.

Believe me, if Apple were to make a phone, it would definitely be the best phone on the market. But that wouldn't make it sell. Apple has learned that the hard way.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  9.    #9  
    Selling phones is a lousy market to make money from, if you aren't getting a cut of the monthly service charges. Phones are often given away, or highly subsidized, because T-Mobile and Verizon make far more money on the fat two-year contracts and minute-overages. Apple wouldn't get a cut of the real profits, so they'd be forced to sell the phone at 7 or 8 hundred dollars, and only the Mac nuts would buy it.

--------------------------------------------------

I am a Mac nut and I would buy it. The fact that you guys are posting stuff on this Treo forum shows that you guys are gadget nuts too. I think people will pay top dollars for a great product. Case and point: Apple iPod.
    Originally posted by themacuser
    I am a Mac nut and I would buy it. The fact that you guys are posting stuff on this Treo forum shows that you guys are gadget nuts too. I think people will pay top dollars for a great product. Case and point: Apple iPod.
    case and point: apple ipod = heap of overpriced trash for people with too much money and too little technical knowledge. Apple = horrible company which serves aforementioned group.

just kidding though, wouldn't want those apple geeks getting upset.
    Originally posted by lovedatreo case and point: apple ipod = heap of overpriced trash for people with too much money and too little technical knowledge. Apple = horrible company which serves aforementioned group.
    You go build a better MP3 player then, as aparently a great deal of the Windows world disagrees with you. iPod is on everyone's gift list this year.

Nor do I get half the crashes or system problems my Windows-based acquaintances have, so maybe it's been a while since you've used a Mac. I know quite a few people who are jumping the Windows ship.

Believe it or not, not everybody is a technology wizard, or a PDA wizard for that matter, and there's something to be said for selling products to consumers that are easy to use and "just work."

And you ought to get used to them, because Apple's one of the healthiest tech companies out there. In iPod and their software they're driving the industry's innovation and competition more than anybody else out there. You're naive to think that Windows XP would look and act as it does were it not for Apple.

So go get educated before you come on here and flame an otherwise intelligent thread, ok buddy?

S
    Apple will have a PDA and/or PDA phone, and don't be surprised if it isn't introduced next month at MacWorld. Stay tuned!
    Would you, ah, care to make a small wager on that?

I'd expect the return of the Newton before the "Apple Phone" ever happened.
    Maybe a wager is in order!

Would $100 iPod compete or cannibalize?
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5134...l?tag=nefd_top

With rumors rife that Apple Computer will unveil a $100 music player at Macworld Expo next month, analysts are split on the likelihood--and wisdom--of such a move.
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    By the way, the company was not named after the record label. Cupertino, home of Apple computer, was once full of Apple orchards; Jobs thought a simple and familiar name like Apple would be easier to brand, and, as usual, he was right. Apple is one of the most-recognized brands in the world.

Maybe you should check your facts before trying discredit true facts. It is well documented where the Apple name originated. Jobs admitted in his own testimony that he named his company Apple Computers as a testament to his love for the Beatles and their music, not after some apple orchard. This is the key to Apple records lawsuits against Apple computers. Jobs is a music lover first and foremost, which is one of the reasons why Apple computers is now in the music business.

I realize this is not really contributing to this thread, but I had to set the record (no pun intended ) straight.
    shf
    Originally posted by lovedatreo

case and point: apple ipod = heap of overpriced trash for people with too much money and too little technical knowledge. Apple = horrible company which serves aforementioned group.

just kidding though, wouldn't want those apple geeks getting upset.
    Congratulations.........Yours is one of the most ignorant posts that I've seen this week, and I'm a Windows guy
    No good deed goes unpunished
    there's an article over at Brighthand about a possible Apple phone being circulated next yaer, oops, this year
    Originally posted by shfawaz

Maybe you should check your facts before trying discredit true facts. It is well documented where the Apple name originated. Jobs admitted in his own testimony that he named his company Apple Computers as a testament to his love for the Beatles and their music, not after some apple orchard. . .
    shfawaz, if it is "well-documented" could you please post a copy of the document you are relying on as a source for that statement?

For example, a copy of the page from the transcript of his testimony.

Or are you merely repeating what someone else told you or what you read in a computer tabloid?
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    PS:

You severely chastised the earlier writer for allegedly not checking his facts, so it is only fair to ask you to demonstrate how you checked your facts.

I predict that you won't find any such transcript because there never was any such testimony. (If you find it, I will stand corrected and will post a correction and an apology to you.) All testimony in court cases is recorded and/or taken down by a certified court reporter. If there is no court reporter's minutes and/or transcript, then there was never any such testimony. (You can take my word for this.) There is no such thing as testimony without a court reporter taking it down and/or recording it.

If, on the other hand, you want to read a quotation from an interview of Steve Jobs on this topic by two respected authors, who also incidentally quote extensively from personal interviews they had with Bill Gates and others, go to:

http://www.fireinthevalley.com/fitv_voices.html

ABOUT THE AUTHORS OF FIRE IN THE VALLEY

Paul Freibergeris the co-author of Fuzzy Logic: The Revolutionary Computer Technology That Is Changing Our World, which won the 1993 Los Angeles Times Book Prize. He has been a newspaper reporter and columnist for the San Jose Mercury News, the San Francisco Examiner, and other publications. He has written articles for numerous other publications and produced reports for National Public Radio. He currently works at Interval Research Corporation, a research lab in Palo Alto, CA.

Michael Swaine is editor-at-large for Dr. Dobb's Journal, a programmer's magazine, and is a columnist for several magazines and electronic and broadcast venues. He holds degrees in computer science and psychology and has worked as a computer programmer, magazine editor, and publisher. He has written books on technology and has launched several computer magazines and a book line. In the past 20 years, he has written over nine hundred articles on computers and technology.

Steve Jobs on naming Apple:

"I was actually a fruitarian at that point in time. I ate only fruit. Now I'm a garbage can like everyone else. And we were about three months late in filing a fictitious business name so I threatened to call the company Apple Computer unless someone suggested a more interesting name by five o'clock that day. Hoping to stimulate creativity. And it stuck. And that's why we're called Apple."
    Originally posted by NateS
    PS:

You severely chastised the earlier writer for allegedly not checking his facts, so it is only fair to ask you to demonstrate how you checked your facts.

I predict that you won't find any such transcript because there never was any such testimony. (If you find it, I will stand corrected and will post a correction and an apology to you.) All testimony in court cases is recorded and/or taken down by a certified court reporter. If there is no court reporter's minutes and/or transcript, then there was never any such testimony. (You can take my word for this.) There is no such thing as testimony without a court reporter taking it down and/or recording it.

If, on the other hand, you want to read a quotation from an interview of Steve Jobs on this topic by two respected authors, who also incidentally quote extensively from personal interviews they had with Bill Gates and others, go to:

http://www.fireinthevalley.com/fitv_voices.html

ABOUT THE AUTHORS OF FIRE IN THE VALLEY

Paul Freibergeris the co-author of Fuzzy Logic: The Revolutionary Computer Technology That Is Changing Our World, which won the 1993 Los Angeles Times Book Prize. He has been a newspaper reporter and columnist for the San Jose Mercury News, the San Francisco Examiner, and other publications. He has written articles for numerous other publications and produced reports for National Public Radio. He currently works at Interval Research Corporation, a research lab in Palo Alto, CA.

Michael Swaine is editor-at-large for Dr. Dobb's Journal, a programmer's magazine, and is a columnist for several magazines and electronic and broadcast venues. He holds degrees in computer science and psychology and has worked as a computer programmer, magazine editor, and publisher. He has written books on technology and has launched several computer magazines and a book line. In the past 20 years, he has written over nine hundred articles on computers and technology.

Steve Jobs on naming Apple:

"I was actually a fruitarian at that point in time. I ate only fruit. Now I'm a garbage can like everyone else. And we were about three months late in filing a fictitious business name so I threatened to call the company Apple Computer unless someone suggested a more interesting name by five o'clock that day. Hoping to stimulate creativity. And it stuck. And that's why we're called Apple."
    Here is a link to one of many articles you can find by doing a simple google search about Apple corp. and Apple computers.

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0903/102377.html

There are many other well documented instances where Jobs has attested to this information and can be redily found online. As for testimony, I'm not here to waste time digging up court testimony, especially when others have nothing better to do but waste time discrediting others. By the way, last time I checked, testimonies don't only have to come in the form of a legal preceeding.

Part of AP article referenced above:

London (AP) - The Beatles' record company Apple Corps Ltd. has sued Apple Computer Inc., claiming the computer maker's iTunes products violate a 1991 agreement that the Beatles said meant the Silicon Valley computer maker would stay out of the music business.

When Steve Jobs co-founded Apple Computer in 1977, he is said to have chosen the name in part as a tribute to the Beatles. The 1991 deal dealt with the future use of the name "Apple" and of both companies' well-known logos.

Apple Corps is owned by Sir Paul McCartney; Ringo Starr; John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono; and the estate of George Harrison. They sued on July 4, about a month after Apple Computer launched its iTunes Music Store, a download music service.
    shf
    The google search you suggested repeatedly produced the same identical sentence, word for word, over and over again in various news sources:

"When Steve Jobs co-founded Apple Computer in 1977, he is said to have chosen the name in part as a tribute to the Beatles."

Is that what you call "well documented" and "testimony" by Steve Jobs? That's what someone else said and many chose to repeat, over and over again. Is the more times that it is repeated make it true? Does the repetition make it "well-documented"? If someone published a false or inaccurate statement and attributed it to you, and then it was repeated 100 times, would that make it well-documented that you said it?

By the way, I'm not claiming that either version of the story is "well documented" nor am I claiming that there has ever been any testimony by Steve Jobs either way. That's where I took issue with your chastisement of the previous writer.

That, and the fact that you were wittingly or unwittingly providing fodder to a fervent Apple-basher, who had also posted just above you. I just don't know what it is that bothers those guys so much about what computer some of the rest of us choose to use. I never hear Ford and Chevy drivers bash Mercedes-Benz or Lexus automobiles, or the companies that make those "low-market share" cars. What is it with those guys?

Apple-bashing also seems to be closely related to Handspring bashing. The Treo is a fantastic and innovative breakthrough, which for some reason makes the founders of Handspring subject to the same kinds of attacks and sarcastic criticism as Apple's founders.

For a humorous article on this controversy, see:

http://digiverse.net/vectormatrix/archives/00000147.htm

which includes the following:

"Now that Apple Computers has released iTunes (an uber-music player and online music store) the Beattle are suing again. Afterall, that little stint as a music phenomenon didn't leave them with much money, right? And I know people confuse Apple Computers and The Beatles all the time.

Just the other day I purchased an old iMac thinking it was a copy of Yellow Submarine. Damn Steve Jobs and his devious trickery! Wait a minute all kinds of companies are cashing in on the Beatles.

A quick search of my local yellow pages reveals even more companies who are ripping off the Beatles: Apple Auto Glass, Applebee's Neighbourhood Grill & Bar, Applewood Air Conditioning, Apple Jacks Restaurant, AppleCore Communications, Apple Saddlery and the list goes on and on. It seems the Beatles better hire some more lawyers, they got a lot of suing to do."

Here's another version of the story at TechTV:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/p...330818,00.html

Origin of the Apple Name

Steve Jobs came up with the name Apple when he was driving with Steve Wozniak, and The Woz has provided a few possible reasons for Jobs' selecting that name other than because it's easy to remember. Not long before Jobs told Woz what he wanted to name the company, Jobs had been at the All One Farm in Oregon where there were a lot of apple trees. Woz also suggested it could have been because Jobs was a music fan and wanted to name the company after The Beatles' record label, Apple Corp. If you look at the original Apple logo, you'll notice it's a picture of Sir Isaac Newton sitting under an Apple tree, so maybe Newton was the inspiration.

To sum up, who knows which story is true? I don't, and neither do you. But whichever story is true, I suggest that it is not a negative reflection upon Steve Jobs' character, as many imply, taking into consideration the fact that he and Steve Wozniak were practically kids at the time he or they named the company.

Regards,

NateS
    Last edited by NateS; 01/02/2004 at 12:20 AM.
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast