Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Click on "buy", enter zipcode, existing plan, select tmobile and you get the following

"Mobile Phone service provider: T-Mobile

Within the next few weeks we expect to ship a version of Treo 600 that is compatible with plans from T-Mobile. To get notified when our T-Mobile-compatible version becomes available, please sign up for our e-newsletter.

"

Ok, the official word: "the next few weeks"... Here's hoping that its just a few weeks....
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Originally posted by Otter Emperor
    Ok, the official word: "the next few weeks"... Here's hoping that its just a few weeks....
    Ha, right. They said "a few weeks" in late September and early October.

I hope they are right this time.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3.    #3  
    No, I don't recall their site ever saying it would be "a few weeks"
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Yeah, they've always used words like "soon" or "shortly".

The wording does, however, confirm that it will be Handspring (palmOne) doing the selling and supporting of the T-Mobile-compatible phone.
    here is the latest email response I have gotten from HS/PO

"Thank you for contacting palmOne, formerly Handspring.
    We are sorry for the delay that you have experienced in waiting for the
    T-Mobile Treo 600. We have been working with T-Mobile to get the Treo
    out as
    soon as possible. We are expecting it to ship early next year.
    If you need further assistance please reply to this email or call
    1-888-565-9393."
    Originally posted by Otter Emperor
    No, I don't recall their site ever saying it would be "a few weeks"
    You are probably right. The website may not have said "a few weeks" until now.

I was referring to what HS customer service reps were saying to those of us who called to ask about the status. For example, Zipmitz said on October 14 (before he was convinced everyone at HS were "liars":

Zipmitz:
    Whenever I'd call over the last week, I'd get the same message from whomever it was I spoke to at HS. It was always that the GMS model will be available "shortly". Some went a little further when prodded - indicating "maybe" this week when the question was posed that way.

But today, I called and got a different message. Today, I got "two to three weeks". I said, no - I am not talking about the so-called "unlocked" version due out by the end of the month and discussed during the conference call with Dubinsky. I am talking about the "shortly" model to be released in connection with the tradeup.

And the person said, "two to three weeks" for the GSM model. I asked if she is saying something that is revised, she said "no - this is the information I've been giving out since the first launch."

Hmmm.

So I called again, and spoke to a DIFFERENT CS rep. And the different rep said the same thing. "2 to 3 weeks". NOT ONCE did I get that message from a CS rep before. It was always "shortly" in line with Dubinsky's terminology during her call.

I asked this second person when he received the information to tell people "2 to 3 weeks". He said "yesterday morning". But he resisted the characterization that this was a change.

Now I called the third person today who, surprise, surprise, says "2 to 3 weeks".
    Handspring was telling me the same thing. Even when I purchased my Cingular version for T-Mobile on November 3, HS told me that the T-Mobile version would most likely be released before the Cingular version was scheduled to be shipped a few weeks later.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    "Shortly." "A few weeks." It's all pretty vague. In Handspring time, a few weeks could mean 20 weeks.

I don't think even THEY are confident about the 2-3 week estimate. If they were, don't you think they would release that information on their website??
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    From psubruce
    We are expecting it to ship early next year.
    That would suck.

Realistically speaking though...how hard do you really think they're working on those "technical issues" we keep hearing about? Seems to me everyone's at about 50% productivity b/c the holidays.
    /me looks at his calendar and notices that 2 to 3 weeks is the same thing as early next year. I can at least hope they are the same thing in Tmo and PalmOne's minds too.

(Although I wouldn't mind earlier either)
    Agree with the calendar thing, but I somehow doubt they'd say "next year" if it were that close. Unless the person who made the comment has no sense of how to manage expectations (because "2-3 weeks" is much less likely to make someone freak than "next year"), but perhaps that's giving them too much credit.

Here's to hoping you're right and it is that close! (fingers crossed)
    I've been thinking about this, and I think I know what's taking so long: T-Mobile is requireing more and more, deeper and deeper intrusions into the code to make it a T-Mobile phone. Here's why I think that:

1) Cingular phones are pretty much working wonderfully on the T-Mobile network. Therefore we know it's not a "compatibility" problem.

2) T-Mobile loves to do stupid crap to their phones. Case in point, the GPRS upgrade for the first Treos, which forced people to use the T-Jingle ringtone, start with the T-Mobile portal page in Blazer, and probably some other things I forgot.

I guaran-damn-tee that the delays really just mean that T-Mobile Treo 600's are going to be so permeated with T-Mobile idiocy that you won't be able to hack your way out of it without causing severe instabilities. I'm tempted to wait and see what happens, and maybe get the non-branded one after the T-mobile upgrade period is over.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    The delays aren't so much due to T-Mobile specific add-ons as they are due to Treo performance meeting T-Mobile standards (although they will load the T-Jingle for your listening pleasure) most notably the voice quality problems noted by some of the GSM users. The phone will definately be SIM locked as well.
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    I'm tempted to wait and see what happens, and maybe get the non-branded one after the T-mobile upgrade period is over.
    How do you get the non-branded one? Any way to get it for the $399 upgrade at HS?
    Last time I talked to an HS rep, I asked about the non-branded one and when it would be for sale. He said it would probably not be for sale until after the T-Mobile upgrade plan expires.
    Where was I when the Cingular upgrade was available? I own a 270, I could have gotten it. Why oh why didn't I read this board more closely so I could have ordered a Cingular version?

join the club. I was watching the progress of things, but I had a brain fart and thought that the Cingular upgrade expired later than it did. I didn't realize until it was WAY too late that I probably should have gone that route. Oh well. Maybe we'll luck out (yeah right) and the T-Mo version really will be orderable next Monday.
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    join the club. I was watching the progress of things, but I had a brain fart and thought that the Cingular upgrade expired later than it did. I didn't realize until it was WAY too late that I probably should have gone that route. Oh well. Maybe we'll luck out (yeah right) and the T-Mo version really will be orderable next Monday.
    Hopefully not only orderable, but with some real improvements.

What if there are no noticible improvements?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    what kinds of real improvements are you looking for? a fix for the audio quality some people are reporting problems with? an SD slot that doesn't eject so easily? Do tell.
    i'm looking for something.

reports/rumors from t-mo say they delayed because of bugs. what were these bugs and how were they fixed?

i douubt there will any hardware changes, but if there were bugs there should be some software changes.

it the device is excatly the same as the cingular and att one, why the delay?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    As I postulated above, I personally think the delays are caused mostly by T-Mobile imposing strict requirements for software appearance and functionality, such as making their ringtone play by default, their logo display in any possible locations, and their web page loading in the browser no matter what. I'll be pleasantly surprised if those issues are NOT the case, but I'm almost 100% certain that they will be.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast