1.    #1  
    I hope my tale will serve as a warning to other T-Mobile customers using the T600.

I Got my Cingular T600 on Dec 3 and popped my T-Mobile SIM in it. Everything works fine. I then found out that the CSD feature does not work with the Cingular phone (this is a bug). I used it to dial my ISP and use the internet with my old T180 because I don't need unlimited data access.

I then tried the "T-Mobile Internet" option in the Network Preferences and it worked. I was surprised because I had canceled GPRS internet service months ago. I can even go to HTTPS web sides without restrictions, contrary to what others have been saying. After two weeks using the service without a hitch I got my bill and came across a charge of $3 per MByte. Called CS and it was explained to me that T-Mobile can not block the Treo 600 from accessing their data network (internet) because of the way the phone works (?). They then proceed to charge $3 per Mbyte from any user that does not have a data plan.

I asked why are they charging $3/Mbyte when the web page for my plan (FamilyTime Basic) specifies clearly that any additional minutes or MBytes are charged are at a rate of 40 cents. The CSR did not have an answer and even admitted that the $3/Mbytes per minute is not written down anywhere. The best they could offer was to pro-rate my usage as if I had the unlimited internet plan, if I signed up for it.

Bottom line, don't count on getting free data access. Make sure you call T-Mobile and get it straigthened out before it's too late.

Hope this helps someone.
    I talked to tmobile today and the woman I spoke to said that since October 24, and for the forseeable future, they are giving free Tzones. Maybe you can get into that somehow.
    Originally posted by kreka
    I asked why are they charging $3/Mbyte when the web page for my plan (FamilyTime Basic) specifies clearly that any additional minutes or MBytes are charged are at a rate of 40 cents.
    I don't think the plan clearly specifies that at all. If you check the "Overage/MB" description, it states:

"The amount you pay per minute for minutes or megabytes of service you use beyond your monthly allotment of minutes."

If it was to be clear, I believe it should have read something like:

"The amount you pay per minute/MB for minutes or megabytes of service you use beyond your monthly allotment of minutes."
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I also spoke with a CSR at Tmo who added a free WAP service to my account (Tzones enabled now). Tmo SIM, Cingularized GSM 600 and $20 voice plan (no data plan). Assured me there would only be a charge for purchasing wallpaper or ringtones. I have been checking my account for any charges and see none.

Based on my conversation, if charges are added for this service it would be textbook deception. Tmo wants customers, it hed me before all this..and will soon have my wife's AT&T account...so it's working for them...
    Your sad story made me check my settings again. I have had my T600 on T-Zones (free wap, as I am not paying anything) since last Wed at noon when I received it, and it's been working non-stop: loading, downloading, checking email. So far no charges on my account. $3/MB since preatty high at any rate!
    May the G4ce be with you
    I think the problem for the original poster is that they selected the 'T-Mobile Internet" network preferences settings. They should have selected the "T-Zones" setting instead. I have unlimited internet for my account and use the first setting. My wife's account is the basic minimum account with no extra payment for data. However if you look at the basic account description on T-Mobile it says free WAP. I put her SIM in, selected T-Zones and web, and email are working fine with no extra charges that I can see.
  7.    #7  
    My point is just to make people aware that they need to make sure they will not have any surprises in their next bill. Do not assume that TMO is giving up free access, call them and make sure you have the right options enabled in your account and in your Treo. In my case, the internet access T600 will work for whatever option is selected in the network preferences screen.

TMO will not block the access and will charge at a hefty rate if the appropriate options are not enabled for your plan. It's definitely wrong to charge a rate for which both parts have not previously agreed upon. Was I the only one surprised with that? Did anyone else know about it?

I asked the CSR to escalate the issue to make sure the rates for these situations are clearly posted on the web site and that the wording for the "Additional minutes/MB" description be improved.
    Originally posted by kreka
    My point is just to make people aware that they need to make sure they will not have any surprises in their next bill. Do not assume that TMO is giving up free access, call them and make sure you have the right options enabled in your account and in your Treo. In my case, the internet access T600 will work for whatever option is selected in the network preferences screen.

TMO will not block the access and will charge at a hefty rate if the appropriate options are not enabled for your plan. It's definitely wrong to charge a rate for which both parts have not previously agreed upon. Was I the only one surprised with that? Did anyone else know about it?

I asked the CSR to escalate the issue to make sure the rates for these situations are clearly posted on the web site and that the wording for the "Additional minutes/MB" description be improved.
    kreka,

Thank you for your warning! I am sure all of us could use an extra word of advice/warning. In my case, the TMo internet is not working, as I never had a data subscription, only T-Zones are accessible.

Thank you for alerting us!
    May the G4ce be with you