1.    #1  
    Anyone ever notice this message:
    * Although we expect to be able to offer service from T-Mobile with Treo 600, we cannot guarantee its availability.

at the bottom of handspring's upgrade promo page?

Ugh. tomorrow is "decision day" for me, and I'm looking for any signs that the tmobile will be out tomorrow.
    Those disclaimers have always been there, and they were there for Cingular and AT&T until those were offered. I wouldn't take any meaning from them.

I'm still surprised people are still waiting. Just buy a Cingular unit. It works fine for both voice and data. I don't see how a "T-Mobile" unit is really going to be any different except for maybe something for T-Zones if anything. There really isn't anything Cingular specific on that unit except for wireless startup screen.

Since there has been no info recently, I really doubt there will be anything announced tomorrow.
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    I'm still surprised people are still waiting. Just buy a Cingular unit. It works fine for both voice and data. I don't see how a "T-Mobile" unit is really going to be any different except for maybe something for T-Zones if anything. There really isn't anything Cingular specific on that unit except for wireless startup screen.
    The problem is that if you buy the Cingular version to use on the T-Mobile network, you don't get the trade-in discount. Then if the discounted T-Mobile version comes out a week after you buy the Cingular one, you end up feeling like a schmuck for not waiting just a little longer.

Alternatively, I see little reason to switch to Cingular's service from T-Mobile, especially since Cingular's data plans are so much more expensive. But, if the T-Mobile version isn't here by the end of December, I may switch to Sprint.
    Only if you waited this long do you not get the discount. I used the discount and upgraded to the Cingular handset...using my T-Mo account. Why wait?
    I got the following from T-mobile support on 12/13:

" We originally had a tentative release date of 11/22/03 for the Treo 600. However, this date has been pushed back. Unfortunately, we do not have an exact date for this handsets release at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused."

Suggests to me that we are in for a long wait.
    Only if you waited this long do you not get the discount. I used the discount and upgraded to the Cingular handset...using my T-Mo account. Why wait?
    Well, if you *have* waited this long, you're SOL. I certainly hope they ship a T-Mobile version, and will upgrade to it if and when it's available, but I'm not paying full price.

AT&T (the only discount still available) is locked, no? If, for some reason, T-Mobile and Handspring can't work this out and never support it, I do hope that they introduce some kind of discount for us, either to switch carriers to someone else with sane pricing (Sprint) or to an unlocked phone (Cingular.)
    Originally posted by Alli
    That's certainly great for you, but bcaslis' comment, which I was responding to, was in regard to people who ARE still waiting. He's saying that he can't understand why they don't just go ahead and buy the Cingular version now and I was merely responding to that. Along the same lines, your rhetorical question of "why wait?" is a little outdated at this point for those who are still waiting.

In any case, unless T-Mobile acts soon, their customers who are still waiting patiently will be even more pissed and feel awfully betrayed if they don't already.
    I'd have gone with a cingular phone, except that cingular doesn't exist here in Denver. Makes getting it fairly difficult.

I might pick up one in Florida over the holidays, but I don't know. My other options are Sprint (which won't work in Europe), or getting an unlocked phone from Hong Kong or Singapore.

Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by SuperJosh
    I'd have gone with a cingular phone, except that cingular doesn't exist here in Denver. Makes getting it fairly difficult.

I might pick up one in Florida over the holidays, but I don't know. My other options are Sprint (which won't work in Europe), or getting an unlocked phone from Hong Kong or Singapore.

Any suggestions?
    I would pay the extra $$ and go to a Cingular store and buy the handset outright. It will still be cheaper than getting the unlocked phone from overseas.
  10.    #10  
    I certainly hope they ship a T-Mobile version, and will upgrade to it if and when it's available, but I'm not paying full price.
    I talked to tmobile today, and the woman I talked to said that tmobile "for sure" was going to offer the treo 600, and she said in the next few weeks (I got the feeling this was a standard answer, and not related to any particular real info). I pressed: do you mean 2 weeks, or 10 weeks? She said she has no way of knowing.
    Today was supposed to be "treo day" for me, where I order something, from one provider or another, I'm sick of waiting for tmo. But now I'm waiting until tomorrow. I want to see the ATT upgrade offer closed/expired to see what comes next before I make my committment.
    While talking to tmobile, I was telling her that I'm about to jump ship and go to another provider. She couldn't have cared less.

Meanwhile I called my local cingular store to see if they have t600 in stock. They put their "data expert" on the phone and I asked about data prices. He said $70 (? something in that ballpark) for unlimited data... "can you beat that?" YES! HELLO! with more than one provider. I felt bad for this cingular salesperson who had no clue what his competitors were even selling.

So, we've got cingular who doesn't know how to market/sell what they have, and tmobile who doesn't seem to have this thing that they could sell so well.
    I too am waiting for T-Mo to finally release the Treo 600. I'm currently using a Treo 270.

I hope that T-Mo is waiting for Handspring to fix some of the problems that I hear affects some of Treo 600 units (speakerphone issues, etc.) before T-Mo officially releases it.

I've thought about swithing too, but I would have to pay much more money for the unit and sign a new contract (I hate new contracts). I would rather just wait until the T-Mo Treo 600 is good and ready.

If you're a early adopter in your neck of the woods, go ahead and switch carriers just to have the Treo 600. I've waited a year for a new Treo....a few more weeks is fine with me.

I'm sure T-Mo is frustrated about this delay as well. I hope it'll be available before February!

Mike
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>