1.    #1  
    I purchased a Treo600 for ATT from Handspring and the unit finally arrived. After charging the unit for 3 hours, I turned the unit on and I can't get past the 'Searching For Network' screen. The account was supposed to be enabled so that when I received the phone I would be able to make phone calls. I tried calling ATT's customer support, but they keep asking me to enter a phone number. I don't know my damn phone number because I just received it and it's not included in any of the documentation or emails.

I've been on hold for over 2 hours and I still haven't spoken to a CSR. This is sooooo furiating because I paid for the overnight shipping so I would have my phone before I leave tomorrow on a trip.

Has anybody else received their phones from Handspring for ATT with similar problems? The phone was supposed to be 'ready to go', but that's certainly not the case. I dont' know if I should call Handspring or ATT to resolve the problem. All I know is, I shelled out a lot of money for a phone (with a new ATT plan) and it's just a fancy PDA at the moment.

Is there any way I can find out my phone number so I can wade through the ATT automated support system?
    Originally posted by coisty1856

Is there any way I can find out my phone number so I can wade through the ATT automated support system?
    While in phone mode, open the menu and select "phone info" from the options section.
    I went thru a similar experience with Cingular. I felt the same way you do, after waiting 25 days of obsessive waiting for my Treo, it was finally here!

I followed the instructions and called Cingular for activation. After transfer upon transfer and hours on the phone and on hold with those mind numbing commercials, I finally found someone who found my account. Good news! ... NOT. They had assigned my sim card with a number in the wrong state. This was after 3 days of phone calls and CSR bozos who had no clue. (Didn't fit the script.) And oh, I forgot to mention the 2 other phone numbers they had assigned to me.

[There was no phone number listed in the phone, because the sim card hadn't been activated yet, but no one would activate my phone with out a phone number. WTF? YOUR'RE supposed to give ME a phone number!]

Finally, I got a supervisor who straightened everything out, but then he told me I had to go to a Cingular store and buy a new sim card.

I packed it up and sent it back. And ordered a Sprint phone. Got it Monday. Less than an hour later I was making a phone call.

Whew! I'm OK now. I've learned that ALL the Carrier's CSRs are clueless. And in my opinion, none of the GSM carriers have enough experience with the Treo 600 to be of much help. To me, Sprint has just had more practice.

Handspring screwed up the release and none of the Carriers bothered to get sufficiently prepared.

IF ATT is your carrier of choice, then hang tough and be sure to use your "patient" voice with them, or you'll get nowhere.

People suggest that you might do better by going down to the store to get things straightened out.

Good luck! And PLEASE don't give up.
    I had the same issue as well. When I called AT&T I was told that they have no record of me in their systems. So then I called Handspring, who asked me for a bunch of information, then told me I should be able to connect later this evening(I talked to them yesterday).

I suggest you call Handspring(877-426-3777). Choose option 3, then choose option 2. (DO NOT CHOOSE OPTION 1 AS THAT WILL JUST FORWARD YOU TO AT&T). Be sure to have your Customer reference number which is on your packing slip.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction towards activation!
    I had a similar experience with AT&T, but I purchased the T600 from AT&T on the phone. THe local AT&T stores didn't have them and told me they would not be getting them. Anyway, it arrived, didn't connect to the network, so I too spent 2 hours waiting for CS, only to be told I had to talk to another department.

Long story short - the phone had not been activated, even though I was told it was. They couldn't find my account. They told me they'd have to call me back. While waiting, I grabbed the card from my Siemens S46 and put it into the 600 and Bang - it connected like a champ.

Bottom line is AT&T doesn't have a clue in most CS areas, but when it comes to the Treo they are COMPLETELY lost. Unfortunately I'm stuck since I can't get decent service from Sprint or Verizon in my area.

Brian
    3 lost days trying to get activated with Cingular. Seems they had the wrong SIM/IMEI combination. Things had gotten so bad with their system trying to activate me, they I had to get escalated the Level 3 Help Desk to clear out their network issues. Working like a champ now however.

(Of course they had billed me already and I had to negotiate a credit for the lost time. )
    Unfortunately if you're on AT&T, this is the sort of nightmare you have to get used to. Myself and my family jumped ship for T-Mobile a year ago, and couldn't be happier. AT&T is all about the money, and generally customers get shafted in the end. Just look at their outrageous data plans. Support was always a hassle. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has never kept me on hold for unreasonable amounts of time and their staff has always been knowledgable and helpful. If you haven't activated yet, you might want to do yourself a favor and switch carriers before you get sucked into a year or two of this.

S
    Originally posted by spiffyguyc
    Unfortunately if you're on AT&T, this is the sort of nightmare you have to get used to. Myself and my family jumped ship for T-Mobile a year ago, and couldn't be happier. AT&T is all about the money, and generally customers get shafted in the end. Just look at their outrageous data plans. Support was always a hassle. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has never kept me on hold for unreasonable amounts of time and their staff has always been knowledgable and helpful. If you haven't activated yet, you might want to do yourself a favor and switch carriers before you get sucked into a year or two of this.

S
    I had flawless AT&T activation. 3 hours from ground delivery to first call. But I already had an AT&T account & phone number... just needed to transfer phone number from old TDMA phone to GSM phone.

AT&T has been having very public problems lately "provisioning" new numbers and porting numbers from other carriers. It has to do with their computer system for linking account info to the phone network's number allocation system, according to the AT&T rep who activated my phone.

When you finally get an AT&T customer service rep on the phone about the delayed activations, be exceedingly sweetly polite (as if you were talking to your 96-year old grandmother) but FIRM in asking for the problem to be escalated to a manager or a "troubled order" department if they have one or something like that.

Don't accept the standard service from the front-line customer service and activation reps if they can't get it done themselves!
    Day-Timer (1995) > Palm Pilot 5000 (1996) > Palm Vx (1999) > Treo 600 (2003) > Treo 650 (2006)

Avoid MediocreSoft!!! - Give me PalmOS or give me death!
    Don't think I work for any big evil corporation as you read this....

I have been an ATT customer for 6 years and have had flawless service and excellent response from all CSRs. In addition I have visited my local ATT store numberous times and they have gone above and beyond the call of duty on more than one occasion. One example is, I had a bad Nokia 8260 and they gave me a brand new one even though it was almost 120 days old. Also they gave me a new part for my hands free car kit when I broke the thing (totally my fault).

It took a little while on the phone the other day, but my activation went fine. In my case I had to be transferred a couple of places because I had been a TDMA customer up until I activated my Treo 600. They wanted me to talk to their "migration team". Plus, my account had been taking advantage of a corporate discount which uses a "foundation account number". They didn't have one of those on GSM for that company, plus I have not worked there for almost a year anyhow... I used my existing phone number. I did not sign for a data plan so I don't know how ATT compares.

I am sure this whole thing would have taken 5 minutes at my local ATT store had I already been a GSM customer prior to getting my Treo.

The number portability thing has caused every carrier to have long hold times and workload they can't keep up with. It will calm down over the next several months as people settle in with the carriers they have switched to.

That said, the GSM coverage isn't perfect in the area I primarily do business so there is a chance I may switch to Verizon even when I've been happy with ATT for so long. I refuse to go back to a separate Palm and phone - Verizon is the only other choice for my area who has a comparable device (Kyocera 7135) and isn't GSM. I have been spoiled now that I have a keyboard built in though....