1.    #1  
    2 years ago I signed up for service with Cingular, bought a Nokia 8290 and received a SIM card.

1 year ago I bought a Treo 180 off of my father-in-law and moved my sim card to it. I signed up for Wireless Internet (CSD) and happily (thought slowly) surfed.

6 months ago I upgraded my T180 to handle GPRS and signed up for Wireless Internet Express (GPRS). GPRS never worked however. A dozen phone calls to Cingular and 2 dozen people told me that everthing was setup correctly. I decided the it was a problem with the phone

Last week I upgraded to a Treo 600 and again moved my sim card over. GPRS still did not work. 3 more phone calls to Cingular and a half dozen different CSR and Tech support people of various levels couldn't find a problem. When they told me "It's not going to work" I asked if it could be my sim card since it's over two years old.

She typed on the computer for a few seconds... "Oh! It looks like you have an 18-digit sim card. GPRS doesn't work with those. You need a newer 19-digit sim card!"

In all the people I've talked to who were clueless including "Tier 2" technical support. Can you believe that no one thought to check that?!? If you used to give out 18-digit cards, now you give out 19-digit cards and GPRS requires the 19-digit cards. When I call and say that GPRS doesn't work, shouldn't that be one of the FIRST things you check?!?! It's apparently a simple and easy thing to check. The first level CSR should have had that on their list of trouble shooting questions.

I must say for the record that Cingular Support is notiably more friendly than they were 6 months ago. That being said I'm pretty dissapointed with their so-called "Technical Support".

Just wanted to vent a little.
    That is pretty funny but sadly true!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Probably a stupid question, but how do you tell the difference between the 18 and 19 digit sim card?
    If GPRS works, it's a 19 digit SIM...
    I asked one of the tech support people, while I was on the phone with them, about their background and they said the had previous call center background. I said that of course that was in addition to their technical experience and/or training. They said "uhhh, no just call center experience." That explains why they are so nice...
    One thing you have to realize is most of these tech support people at cingular can look at a manual and read what is in it for people who are not able to read manuals.

As of 12/22/03 the level 1 tech support people had not been trained on the Treo 600. They were supposed to be trained within the next week.

The people working at most of these places as "tech support people" are not going to be the most knowledgeable... if they were they would be able to get better jobs.

Not to put any tech support people down, this is just how reality is..

(This is from a person who spent 5 hours on the phone on a conference call with...

2 customer service reps
    1 customer service manager
    1 level 1 tech support person
    1 tech support manager
    1 network operations support person
    1 network operations support manager
    1 carrier integration support person

and all of this was beacuse I was in the middle of chicago and my phone was roaming to AT&T's network. They indicate that this is common is chicago as they both have alot of towers.

The problem is that if you are roaming on AT&T's network it does not properly assign the DNS servers.

After about two and a half hours I figured out what the problem was, the next two and a half hours was getting cingular people to get me the actual DNS server IP address. (This was after both the tech support person and their manager argued with me that there is NO DNS server and that I have to get it from my ISP). (Which of course is cingular using GPRS, but they kept insisting I needed another ISP to use.)

And I had three units all doing the same thing, one of which was a new cingular account, one was a port from t-mobile and one was a port from verizon.

You would not beleive some of the things these people were argueing with me about..

And the arguments about how the treo goes online and how the internet works were even worse..

For thouse of you who are not tech people some of the things they were INSISTING on were akin to me saying that none of the cars in the world use tires they all run on the rims.

So do not expect much from cingular support people...

-David
    (Treo 600 on Cingular)
    (Also happens to be a CNE/MCSE/CCIE/etc. + 31 more..)
    what happens if you took the new simcard they sent you, and put it in an old phone? the reason i ask is i have an old siemens a56 (it's actually a new phone, got it a few days, and it is offered as the free phone with cingular plans now (1.5.2004), but i put an old simcard in it which is 1 year old). i want a new phone, and a friend of mine wants to go into family talk w/ me, i figure sure he can have my old phone (siemens a56), i'll get a new phone that i'd like, and switch out the simcards. i spoke with a service rep and she put the order through on a samsung x427 for me. but said that i can't switch the simcards in them because the simcard made for the samsung would fry the a56 cell phone. is that even possible or do they juswt not want me upgrading w/o their permission and paying upgrade fees? also, what happens if i put the NEW simcard into an older phone, like a nokia 3390 (offered almost 2 years ago)? any info would help VERY much!!
    The cingular cs person is incorrect. The a56, x427 and all current models use the same sim card; that is the great thing about GSM. I have two phones, the moto v400 camera flip and the treo 600. the treo is for busines M-F, the moto S-S for fun. I only wish I could copy some ph#'s from treo to sim card for ease when I change phones. So I say knock yourself out on the family plan.