1.    #1  
    Just got a "new" Treo 180 unlocked originally from T mobile.

When I insert the Cingular SIM Card it does not recognizes the network.

Is it possible to use an unlocked Treo 180 in the Cingular GSM network?

The Cingular tech people say only TREOs "SOLD" by Cingular phone will work on their network.

I think that's bogus!

Anyone has any light for me?

it should work.

you sure its unlocked?

how old is the sim card?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    The SIM card is 6 mos. old.

The phone is "unlocked" or so said the eBay seller.

It was locked to T-MO and the box has a 8 digit number written on it that looks like the unlock code.

Is it a factor that I am located in PRPRPR? $Cingular$ $GSM$ $must$/$should$ $be$ $the$ $same$ $anywhere$ $Cingular$ $has$ $service$. $Right$?

Thanks for your help!
    I noticed that you are having the same problem I am encountering with my Treo180. I originally bought mine from T-mobile over 1yr ago and my contract has run out. Since Cingular has better coverage in my area I switched to Cingular, and my phone is suppose to be unlocked as stated by T-mobile. I had to do a replacement phone about 2months ago since my Treo flip broke, just under the wire for the 1yr agreement. Problem is that I put in my Cingular SIM card but can not register on to Cingular's Network. All I can register on is T-mobile's. I do know that T-mobile and Cingular share roaming agreements which is probably why my Treo will register on T-mobile's network. When I search for available Network's I can see Cingular's but I can register on to it. I went to the At&t store and stuck in an At&t SIM card to make sure that my phone is unlocked, and sure enough it registered with At&t's network, so it looks like it is unlocked.

Here are the questions that we need to have answered by someone who knows:
    1) I did a little research and it looks like all the GSM phones that Cingular sells are 850/1900MHz but our Treo 180 is
    900/1900MHz, right? So by this it means that our Treo180 is not compatible with Cingular's network. Then why can I see it as an available Network but not register to it?

2) Does anybody have a Treo180 that is using Cingular? If so does it for sure say "Cingular" at the top as the Network provider and not T-mobile or At&t?

I went to the local Cingular store and they of course directed me to their main store which is across town. I'm going to try and go either today or next week and will let you know what they say.
  5. ewm
    Is the GPRS update installed on the T180?

I found that I had much better results with voicemail notifications, etc. on Cingular after running the AT&T version of the GPRS update (available on the Handspring site).

My phone correctly says "Cingular" or "Cingular Extend" for the network names after running the GPRS V1.2 updater.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8589
    ewm

Did you buy your Treo 180 through T-mobile or Cingular?

After 2hrs on the phone with Cingular today they basiclly said that they would not activate my IMEI number to my account since it was a T-mobile phone. To me this sounds like since I didn't buy a Cingular phone from Cingular that they would not let me use it on their Network. Well then what's the point of GSM then and being able to swap out SIM cards, right?

Did you have to do anything special to use your phone on the Cingular Network? Or was it purchased through Cingular?

Also Cingular said that the 180 was not compatiable on their Network since it was a 900/1900 MHz phone and their sevice is 850/1900MHz.
  7. ewm
    I purchased my unlocked T180 on e-bay back in 11/2002.

I just took the sim card from my nokia and put it into the treo - no call to Cingular or anything, and it just worked for me.

Does your sim card work in another phone?
    I've only tried the free phone that Cingular sent me. Pulled the SIM card from it and plugged it in my Treo. I will check with my wife's V70 (which was a T-mobile phone that switched to Cingular). With her's we have not had a problemed. Unlocked it pulled the SIM card from her free phone and worked first time on Cingular's network. Her phone also lets me see what freq is being used and it says 1900MHz.

Ok I think that it may just be my Cingular account. Because I confirmed that AT&T uses 850/1900MHz and T-mobile uses 900/1900MHz. I went by the AT&T store and plugging in one of their SIM cards and it registered onto the AT&T Network fine.

The Cingular people said that in my area they have 850/1900MHz. So my phone should register onto the 1900Mhz Network through Cingular but does not for some reason. The only thing I could think of is that on my account for some reason my SIM card is tracked to only the phone Cingular sent me. But I'll check tonight.
    buho82:

I do not know where you are, but this may help with your issue. Cingular's network is a patchwork of frequencies. Some are old school original cellular 850MHz frequency licenses. Some, like NYC, Cali, and the carolinas are 1900MHz. In Louisiana, we have both, depending on where you are, but none overlap. All of T-Mobiles are new licenses at the PCS (no, thats right Sprint did not invent that term, it is the govt's designation for all new licenses, but nice marketing ploy) frequency of 1900MHz.

If you are in an area that has 850, Cingular may block your use of T-mobiles 1900MHz spectrum. They do where I live in Louisiana. For that reason, you may not be able to use the t-180 in your area.

Caveat number 1: If you live in an area where cingular has 1900MHZ AND you have an old 1900MHz only phone (like the 180), then you roam (technically, not necessarily charged extra) on another carrier like t-mo at the 1900 MHz freq, when you go to an area that has cingular 850MHz.

Brax4:

1. You do not need to put the IMEI on your account to get the phone to work. JUst insert the sim card.

2. Double check the license frequency in your area. I am currently unaware of any area where cingular has both 850 AND 1900 overlapping. If you find I am incorrect, Please let me know. I would be interested to know where those areas are.

It might be a good idea to ask for tech support. They train those reps a little better. When you get tech support ask for the most recent IRDB download.
    cingulartreo - just out of curiosity with the Cingular logo by your id and in your id name do you work for Cingular?

Thanks for your response! Cingular stated yesterday that they have 850 and 1900MHz in my area, Austin Texas.

As for the IMEI, that is what the Cingular Customer Service person told me "that since the IMEI number on your Treo does not match the IMEI number on your account you will not be able to use that phone." Those were his words exactly. They said they would not register that IMEI number onto my account since it was not purchased through Cingular stated by - Antonio id# AF1119. Well to me this made no sense. Because I did the same thing on my wife's Moto V70 phone, pulled the SIM card from our free phone from Cingular and stuck it in the V70 and it worked. I doubled checked her phone last night and it says "Cingular Extended" and the only available Networks on her V70 phone is Cingular Extended. On her phone, the V70, I can check which freq is being used, and it says GSM 1900MHz. So this means that Cingular has 1900MHz service in my area, which means that my Treo180 should come up and see the 1900MHz Network on Cingular. But all I get is "Can not connect to Network" and then it connects to T-Mobile's. Then when I search for available Network's all I get is T-Mobile and AT&T.

As for the Tech Support it's not been that great at Cingular, since you have to put in a "Trouble Ticket" to get to talk to anyone from Tech Support. I am still waiting on that call, was suppose to have gotten a call last night but never did.

Seems like the chain of command at Cingular is Sales->Customer Support -> Tech Support.

Sales - obviously was not any help. Tried to sell me the T600. If I had $500 to spend on a phone I would get it. Also my 180 is fine for me as I don't need color screen and camera (would be nice but not a must).

Customer Support - tried telling me that the Treo180 was not GPRS compatible and therefore would not work on their Networks. I tried to explain to him that it was but I don't think he ever believed me even after he went to the Handspring Site. Also told me about the IMEI not registered to my account and therefore I would not be able to use the phone on their Network. Also tried selling me the T600

Tech Support - still waiting on a call! Wonder if I'll ever get it.

I even called Handspring yesterday to confirm that my Treo would work on Cingular's Network and they said that as long as they had 1900MHz in my area that it would since the 180 is a 900/1900MHz. Well this makes sense as well since AT&T uses 850/1900MHz and when I tried an AT&T SIM card my Treo180 came up and registered onto AT&T's Network, which means that it came up and registered onto AT&T's 1900MHz Network.
  11. ewm
    Have you tried installing the GPRS update with the Cingular SIM in the T180? I know that before I did, my t180 would say it was roaming on t-mobile. Afterwords it lists the available networks as Cingular & Cingular Extend - and with an AT&T sim lists the networks as AT&T & T-Mobile.

Installing the GPRS update will also update the carrier information used to map the network ids to network providers, and may help you with your problem.
    Tried a couple of times now and no luck.

I installed the GPRS update for Cingular and it will not list Cingular or Cingular extended as an available network, only T-Mobile and AT&T.

What's really weird is that I installed the AT&T GPRS update and it has Cingular Extended and AT&T as an Available Networks but will not let me register on to the Cingular.

I have also run the radio rest application and still get the same thing. Current GPRS installed on phone is Cingular's.
    And the saga continues.....

Cingular today said that I would have to call Handspring and have Handspring call Cingular to tell them how to make the phone work on their Network. What great customer service!!! Wasn't this phone available on Cingular's Network at some point in time?????? When I told them that as the end customer to their service I thought that this would be Cingular's job, she didn't have much to say. Also was told that call back time from the Tech department was up to 72hrs and not 12hrs like I was originally informed.

When I talked to them about canceling my service because of this issue she was already to get my service cancelled and did not want to put forth any effort in trying to find out the reason that my Treo 180 will not work on their service. Also did not seem to concerned that Cingular would be losing 2 customers(myself and my wife).

So here are my standings on providers:
    T-mobile - great rates but not that great coverage. You get to talk to a tech support person but knowledge on the Treo 180 took about 4 different people before I found someone that seemed to know a little about what they were talking about.

Cingular - great coverage as long as you buy their phone. Terriable tech support since you have to put in a trouble ticket to acutally get to talk to a tech support person and seems like no one really knows how long it will be before they call you back 12hrs and 72hrs have been what I've been told

AT&T - seems like good coverage but no free roaming on GSM plans less then $60 and no free roaming on family plans.
    And the saga continues.....

Cingular today said that I would have to call Handspring and have Handspring call Cingular to tell them how to make the phone work on their Network. What great customer service!!! Wasn't this phone available on Cingular's Network at some point in time?????? When I told them that as the end customer to their service I thought that this would be Cingular's job, she didn't have much to say. Also was told that call back time from the Tech department was up to 72hrs and not 12hrs like I was originally informed.

When I talked to them about canceling my service because of this issue she was already to get my service cancelled and did not want to put forth any effort in trying to find out the reason that my Treo 180 will not work on their service. Also did not seem to concerned that Cingular would be losing 2 customers(myself and my wife).

So here are my standings on providers:
    T-mobile - great rates but not that great coverage. You get to talk to a tech support person but knowledge on the Treo 180 took about 4 different people before I found someone that seemed to know a little about what they were talking about.

Cingular - great coverage as long as you buy their phone. Terrible tech support since you have to put in a trouble ticket to actually get to talk to a tech support person and seems like no one really knows how long it will be before they call you back, 12hrs and 72hrs have been what I've been told. I am now at 24hrs and counting.....

AT&T - seems like good coverage but no free roaming on GSM plans less then $60 and no free roaming on any family plans.
    I need to check my sources to see if austin is for sure 850 OR 1900 OR both with cingular.

I suspect, though, that if your wife's v70 (1900Mhz only) is getting cingular extend, then she is seeing t-mo or AT&T. GSM phones used to roam onto t-mo here and say cingular extend, until they blocked it.

Now, the question is why, if I am right, does your wife's phone work but yours does not? the key is in the IRDB (intelligent roaming database; PRL: preferred roaming list for sprint). If your sim card has a newer IRDB, then the cingular extend block may be on your sim, but not your wifes.... Uggghhhh, why didn't I think of this sooner??? Did you try to put YOUR sim into the v70? Your wife's sim into the treo? This will answer your question.

Again, trust me on this one, the imei does NOT need to be on the account. That is the great thing about GSM...swappable phones!
    cingulartreo

Thanks for the response. Yes I tried both my SIM card in her V70 and it came up Cingular Extended and her's in my Treo and did not come up on Cingular's, still T-Mobile.

I got a response back from Handspring that said their second level tech support person would be contacting me. Still waiting on Cingular's tech support person to call.

I'm about to just give up and switch back to T-Mobile and deal with the lack of coverage issue. I had switched to Cingular since they are suppose to have a larger coverage area on GSM then the other carriers, but the trade off is their minutes per-dollar is more then T-Mobile's. So if I'm not going to be able to even use Cingular's GSM coverage in my area then it's not worth paying the extra money.

T-Mobile's Family plan of 1600min is $99
    Cingular's Family plan of 1350min is $99

Also it seems like with Cingular's text messaging you can only enter in a 10digit phone number where on T-Mobile's you get to enter in either a phone number or email address. Not that big of a deal but it was nice. I may not have my SMS email number correctly, I still need to check that.

As for the IMEI number that's what I keep trying to tell the Cingular folks, that the whole point of GSM is the option of being able to use different phones (as long as the phone would work on a freq in your area). Cingular does not agree with me on this and says that GSM gives you the option to use only another Cingular "sold" phone (again when ever I mention that I have a Treo180 I am always asked "would you like to buy the T600?")
    cingulartreo -

Thanks for all your help on my ongoing saga.....

Anyway, I'm still depating on whether to keep my Cingular service and just live with pretty much the same coveage that I had with T-Mobile (since I'm just using T-mo Network) and wait for the T600 to come down in price on ebay or somewhere else used.

But in the meantime, any idea on the SMS message and SMS email center numbers? It does not automaticlly come up with the Cingular SIM card in T180 and the free phone that I got from Cingular the S56 doesn't allow me to veiw that information (or at least I can not find it). When I called Cingular today to ask them what these numbers where they said they had never heard of anything like that.
    ok, you have me there. What sms numbers do you mean? If you can give me more details I can check for what you need.
    Ok, I found the SMS and Email center numbers after doing some searching and they are working. If you go to SMS and look under Preferences you'll see what I was talking about.

Also I ran the AT&T GPRS update (again for the 3rd time) and for some reason now I see the Cingular Extended Network and I'm able to register on to it. The previous times it would not let me register on it. This is very weird to me. The only thing I could come up with was that something was not getting set in the flash update the previous times??? Also I had cleaned a lot of old junk programs/games that I did not use off my treo and it was pretty much stock. But the GPRS updates wipe eveything off your Treo, so not sure on this.

I actually see 2 Cingular Extended Networks (which I think are T-Mobile's and AT&T's) but am only able to register onto 1 of them. I do not see just Cingular which makes me believe that Cingular only has 850MHz coverage in my area and that 1900MHz is picked up by T-Mobile. Which means that the Cingular folks were partially right by saying that they have 1900MHz coverage in my area. But I had asked them if this was covered by Cingular or another Network and they said Cingular. Also I think that the Cingular Extended Network that I see but am unable to register with is AT&T's. If this is the case then why does Cingular change the name of the other Networks to Cingular Extended?

I wish that I could run the T-mobile GPRS upgrade to see what I would get now ( I imagine that it wouldn't change anything) but would be nice. With T-mobile you have to log in to their web site to get the GPRS upgrade.
    That's great brax. I'm glad I was able to help.

I think Cingular uses "cingular extend" as a general label for any network that is not their own. They have an old TDMA 'Preferred nation" plan that uses the label to represent roaming. And, I wonder, if they now use it for areas that count as roaming if you do not have a national plan. You do have a nationl plan, right?

BTW, how about those new national plans? Nationwide mobile to mobile to ANY cingular customer and a HUGE GSM area. That's what I'm talking about.