Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's my situation....I'd like to take advantage of T-Mobile's unlimited data plan but I'm unsure that my new Cingular T600 will work. I currently have a family account with Cingular (My T600 and my wife's Nokia).

I'd like to move to TMO and use my T600 and I'd also like to get a new phone for my wife. What's the best way to do this and do you have any idea on what this might cost me (I'm out of contract with Cingular)?

Because TMO hasn't officially announced support for the T600, are there any factors I should be concerned with?
    cingular t600 are unlocked, so you should be able to use it on t-mo.

t-mo does support the t600, they will try to help you. if they can't they will pass you off to handspring.

call t-mo and ask them how you can port both numbers over.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I don't know when it showed up but Handspring/palmOne now says:

== "...*** Cingular-branded Treo 600s have been optimized for
    == use on the Cingular Wireless network. Customers who use
    == Cingular-branded Treo 600s on other GSM/GPRS network may
    == not receive optimal voice reception or data speed..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml

Thus it would seem to me to be very ill-advised to buy a (very expensive!) Cingular TREO 600 with the intention of using it on something other than a Cingular network.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    I don't know when it showed up but Handspring/palmOne now says:

== "...*** Cingular-branded Treo 600s have been optimized for
    == use on the Cingular Wireless network. Customers who use
    == Cingular-branded Treo 600s on other GSM/GPRS network may
    == not receive optimal voice reception or data speed..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/products/c...overview.jhtml

Thus it would seem to me to be very ill-advised to buy a (very expensive!) Cingular TREO 600 with the intention of using it on something other than a Cingular network.
    I had an AT&T _locked_ Treo 600. I travel to the UK regularly and use an O2 SIM there. After spending hours on the phone trying to get AT&T and/or Handspring to unlock it. AT&T said Handspring had to do it; Handspring said AT&T had to do it. I finally told them I wanted to return the phone. At that point, Handspring told me they could sell me an unlocked phone (but of course NOT for the upgrade price - can you say "bait and switch"?). I just got confirmation of shipping, and it indicates a Cingular phone. If I find out that there are problems of any sort on the AT&T network, I will be pissed.
    hey i got treo 600 was locked to AT&T i got it now to europe, if u want it to get it unlock go to www.gsmlocker.com , they r expensive man but had good service
    Coisty,

The Cingular T600 works fine on Tmobile. I was in a similar situation. Here's what I did:

1. Bought two new phones from Amazon.com. Ordered them separately and signed up for 1-year Tmo plans costing at least $39.99/mo. You have to keep the plans separate for the 1st month if you want the rebates.
    2. When the phones arrived, they already were activated with two new Tmobnumbers.
    3. After confirming that the new phone was working, I took out "my" sim and popped it into the T600; it automatically found the network.
    4. I had signed up for the $19.99/mo unlimited internet, but had read about the free WAP/unlimited GPRS, so I called Tmo and asked them to drop the paid plan and give me the free one. They said it would take 24-48 hours; it took 2 minutes.
    5. Made a separate call to request our numbers be ported from AT&T Wireless. Just need the old numbers and the last four digits of the Social Security number for the primary account owner of the old and new plans. The porting process has/is taking forever, but I'm told this is an AT&T Wireless problem (one number took 7 days; Still waiting after 20 days on the other).
    5. After we get our first month's bills, we'll submit the rebate requests to Tmo and Amazon. Then call Tmo to combine our plans to a family plan.
    6. I got the Sony-Ericsson T610 with a free Jabra bluetooth headset to use as a backup. My net cost will be $0 (yours would be -$100; good things come to those who wait). My wife got a nice phone free as well.
    > The Cingular T600 works fine on Tmobile...

Please note that the manufacturer of the phone, a manufacturer who wants to sell as many of these phones as it can, says Cingular phones do not necessarily "work fine" on other carriers' networks (as noted WITH link above in my first post in this thread).
    That was probably a sadistic mandate from t-mo.
    Perhaps - are you willing to bet $400+, though, that the manufacturer is blatantly lying about it?

That's what you're doing if you buy a Cingular TREO 600 to use other than on Cingular's network.

Seems like a REALLY stupid bet, IMHO.
    Originally posted by darien
    hey i got treo 600 was locked to AT&T i got it now to europe, if u want it to get it unlock go to www.gsmlocker.com , they r expensive man but had good service
    why should i pay to have my phone unlocked? aren't lock codes for every phone floating about on the internet?
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Congular Phone works fine on AT&T

I bought a Cingular upgrade phone direct from Handspring, pulled the SIM out of my AT&T T68i and popped it into my Cingular Treo 600. Works flawlessly. I have been using it for everything (data and phone) for over a month now.
    I just got a T-Mobile phone so I could get a SIM to use with my Cingular Treo 600. In the past couple of days, I've noticed that whenever I turn on the phone screen (ie, hit the phone button and center button to unlock) after I haven't used the Treo for an hour or so, the little "signing on" box will pop up for a few seconds. It doesn't take as long as it does if I turn off the wireless mode and turn it back on, but I'm not sure why it would have to do that at all. It never did with the Cingular service. Any ideas? It bothers me that my phone may not truly be on all the time.
  13. KBS
    Is it actually searching for service and does it come up with the "Welcome to T-Mobile" screen? If it doesn't have that message, it may be re-establishing the GPRS connection rather than the phone service. You may not be losing the phone connection.
    It doesn't bring up the welcome screen, just the "signing on" little dialog box. It's very quick, but seems odd since it never happened w Cingular.
  15. KBS
    I'm not a techie like a lot of posters here, but that is the screen I get when opening up the web connection. If you are losing phone service, you should be getting the "Welcome to T-Mobile" welcome screen. (I have a cingular phone w/ T-Mo sim.) I believe that your phone service is still connected, especially if the light on your Treo is still flashing green, not red.
    Perhaps - are you willing to bet $400+, though, that the manufacturer is blatantly lying about it?

That's what you're doing if you buy a Cingular TREO 600 to use other than on Cingular's network.

Seems like a REALLY stupid bet, IMHO.
    The Cingular Treo 600 is working great for me on the Tmobile network. I totally disagree with SeldomVisitor, I think its a damn good bet, I'm very happy with my decision not to wait for Tmobile.

Its your dice player, I say 'ROLL EM'.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    > ...I totally disagree with SeldomVisitor...

Correction - you do not totally disagree with me, you totally disagree with the manufacturer of the phone.

I have no idea why the manufacturer says "Don't!" but that's what the manufacturer says. Unless they're lying about it (no, they're not) they must have what they consider to be good reasons to turn away buyers with that warning.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    While it is "possible" that we are missing out on some incremental speed increase or something by not waiting for T-Mobile, all I can say is that I've had mine for about a month now, and as an upgrade from my 270 I couldn't be happier. If there is something I should be wanting from the T-Mobile version that doesn't exist, I guess I'll just say ignorance is bliss <g>.

Danita
    > ...I guess I'll just say ignorance is bliss <g>.

That actually could be the case.

It is a given that the manufacturer knows of conditions under which their warning applies (otherwise - duh - they wouldn't give the warning). It easily could be that half the users saying "Works fine for me!" haven't the faintest idea that it could work even finer.

But...

Even if 100% of those saying "works fine for me!" are at their optimal capabilities and they are actually correct in their particular cases, it is STILL sufficient to note that the manufacturer itself says "Don't!" and thus it is seems like a really DUHmb idea to spend $400+ to attempt feebly to prove the manufacturer wrong.

TreoCentral really should have an article about this explaining EXACTLY what the problem(s) are, how they're encountered, where they're encountered, when they're encountered, etc - would clear EVERYTHING up.

I doubt if palmOne would say much about the problem(s), however, so I think that particular wish is a pipedream.
    > ...I totally disagree with SeldomVisitor...

Correction - you do not totally disagree with me, you totally disagree with the manufacturer of the phone.

I have no idea why the manufacturer says "Don't!" but that's what the manufacturer says. Unless they're lying about it (no, they're not) they must have what they consider to be good reasons to turn away buyers with that warning.
    I can't speak for the manufacturer and neither can you. Whatever their reasons, I can 'SPEAK' to my personal experience with using a Cingular Branded phone on the Tmobile network. For me it works well, many others have had success as well.

To be fair some users have reported problems, but some users would have problems irregardless of the phone situation YMMV.

Besides with reports of successful cross-carrier firmware updates (cingular-international, AT&T-International) it shouldn't be any problem to flash an updated Tmobile firmware to my Cingular phone when it becomes available. I did that with my 270 (when the 270 GPRS Update became available) I simply downloaded the tmobile GPRS patch from the tmobile site to my unbranded phone worked great.

So I say to you SeldomVisitor the skys not falling, "The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades"
    No good deed goes unpunished
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast