Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I was surfing around some of my favorite Palm handheld web sites and ran across this:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...1205022950.htm

There is mention of unlimited free data access including some email and basic browsing ports. I remember a while back I got hold of a WAP number for VoiceStream and was able to connect to the web and use my minutes to browse. I did not use often, and it wasnt the quickest..but it could be done.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I have a Treo 600 but my network preferences are locked. I plan on obtaining a WIFI SD when available to take care of my access at home and office, but it would be nice to get a connection once and a while in between.
    Any one have the scoop, instructions and/or how to unlock the network preferences to try this?
    Originally posted by j$hort
    Any one have the scoop, instructions and/or how to unlock the network preferences to try this?
    Your network settings are not locked, although the tmobile settings can not be altered for T-Zones, T-Mobile VPN and T-mobile Internet. You can make your own custom settings by just clicking on preferences, choose network preferences then your menu button which is next to home key on the bottom right of Treo 600 keyboard.

Choose 'NEW' and you can configure the network settings of your choice.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Ya. What was I thinking...thanks for the direction..I'm gonna try setting this up and will report my experience here.
    There is mention of unlimited free data access including some email and basic browsing ports.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t43054/s.html

Some people are using it successfully with the Treo 600. I use it with my Nokia phone. It's not bad. Saves me a ton of money over my old Sprint account.
    Ya. What was I thinking...thanks for the direction..I'm gonna try setting this up and will report my experience here.
    No Problem, I can verify that it works, I tried this before signing up for any data plan, but decided to sign up for the unlimitied tzone plan just to cover my bases. I didn't want to be using all that bandwidth and then get an unexpected bill at the end of the month.

And at $ 4.99 for unlimited internet surfing and email access, it is the steal of the century. I also signed up for 500 sms messages for $2.99.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Here's my story. I searched forums and web sites for all sorts of configuration information and found various setting suggestions for the free (limited port) internet access. No matter what I tried a GPRS error was the result. I placed a 611 call to T-mobile and spoke with a very helpful CSR. I mentioned I was only interested in dowloading ringtones and wallpaper. I'm a big SMS dude and limited Internet access would be fine for me. My account was then set up for this access. The CSR said there was no charge and a config would be loaded for my account (SIM) and I would be informed by a network message on my device when enabled. I will report my results. 2 - 24 hours was the estimate....I was pretty happy not to hear "in a few weeks" as I am used to from TMo/HS.

Depending on your account you may need to call..I could have tried forever and it would have never worked...I'd make sure it is enabled 1st.