View Poll Results: Stick with T-mobile or move to Sprint?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stick with T-mobile. It will be here any day now

20 86.96%
  • o to Sprint, you will get your T-600 before T-mobile releases theirs

3 13.04%
  1.    #1  
    Here's a tough call. Amazon is selling the Sprint Treo 600 for $250

now this one looks like it's coming soon and is essentially $150 less than the upgrade cost.

Considering how T-mobile keeps delaying the T-600 forever, I'm starting to think of moving to Sprint.

What would you reccomend?
    Ive read in a couple of other forums that tmobile could have the treo 600 sometime in dec. there still working on some of the bugs im gonna wait
    Originally posted by TNLNYC

now this one looks like it's coming soon and is essentially $150 less than the upgrade cost.

Considering how T-mobile keeps delaying the T-600 forever, I'm starting to think of moving to Sprint.

can you take your number with you if you go this route?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    One of the things I'm starting to learn is to just go ahead and buy exciting technology that's available NOW. By the time the "next best thing" comes out, there'll be the NEXT next best thing on the horizon and you'll want to wait for that, meanwhile never getting anything.

With that in mind, I have set an absolute deadline of Dec 15. If there is no materialization of the Tmobile phone by then, I'm going with that sprint deal on Amazon. If it comes out on tmobile 2 days later, I'll be regretful, but I'll be regretful with a 600 in hand, while tmobile people will probably have to wait a month to get one.

I've been a tmobile customer for a long time. It's too bad they'll lose me.
    I would normally feel the way you do, but the idea of not receiving phone calls when I'm in data mode scares me.
    Before you do anything I would assess the coverage in your area and any other applicable areas (if you travel) by both providers. It will do no good to have an awesome phone and a crappy signal.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I have been with T-Mobile for just over a year with an SE T68 and then a T610. Like many of you I was waiting for the T-Mobile version of the Treo 600. waiting... waiting.. waiting...

Went to Best Buy last week for some Christmas shopping and saw the Treo 600 for Sprint for $399 out the door with a 2 year contract. I figured what the hell, I'll pick it up, turn on call forwarding on my T-Mobile phone to the new Sprint number, play with the phone for a couple weeks and then return it before Sprint's 14 day grace period is up. I figured by that time, T-Mobile's version would come out and I would just do a SIM swap.

What I didn't expect was the MUCH better reception I had in my area (San Fernando Valley / Los Angeles) with the Sprint Treo. While this was nice, I had still planned on returning the phone when T-Mobile's came out. I figured this performance boost might partly be due the Treo in relation to my old phone.

Then I read this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ae9e308eb.html which mentions a web site that can test the Treo's internet connection speed. The guys in the thread were all talking about 30 to 40kbps as being the average for gprs. I tested the Sprint Treo's bandwidth four times. The results were 99, 110, 115 and 117kbps.

I am now calling Sprint to start the number port from my old T-Mobile account. The GSM model would have been nice for overseas travel, but - I hardly ever leave the country. Its a no brainer for me to go with Sprint.

Bye, T-Mobile
    I was with T-Mobile and jumped to Sprint because they had the t600 and a great unlimited data plan. I asked friends in town (Portland, OR) who had Sprint about their service and they said it was fine. But I never tested the signal in my house. Unfortunately, Sprint's coverage near my home and the surrounding area is horrible. It is great in the places where I travel (SF Bay Area primarily), but not having a signal in my house kills the deal.

I ended up going back to T-Mobile.

That's not to say everyone should stay away from Sprint. Just do your home work, and test the signal in the place where you'll use the service before you buy your device or plan.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    can you take your number with you if you go this route?
    Yup... the way it works is that you buy the phone from Amazon.com and when it arrives at your door, then you have a note inside saying cal this number to being the number porting process.

You're only buying the phone from amazon, the rest goes like normal.

-- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
    Originally posted by TNLNYC

If you can wait, then this is your best bet.

It takes a good bit of work on your part but for $200 off it looks well worth it.

-- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  11.    #11  
    Well, after chatting with people in my area, I figured that Sprint service is less than adequate so I'm gonna stick with T-mobile, even if that means having to wait longer to get my hand on the T600...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I would normally feel the way you do, but the idea of not receiving phone calls when I'm in data mode scares me.
    Hmmm, not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the Sprint version doesn't allow you to receive calls when in data mode? Is this different than the GSM version?
    The Sprint phone (CDMA) will put voice calls to voice mail if you are in data mode when they come in. I hear the voicemail indicator flags this pretty quickly.

On the GSM phones (such as Tmo) the voice call gets passed in. The data mode is dropped when the voice call is picked up and then resumed when the voice call ends.

Originally posted by Minsc

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that the Sprint version doesn't allow you to receive calls when in data mode? Is this different than the GSM version?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    yikes, that's pretty weird. might make me think twice about switching to sprint too. I wonder if that's just a limitation of Vision, or a conscious decision by one of the developers.

On a related note, I'm also curious to know why the battery life on the CDMA version is significantly less than GSM. Is this due to the data speed differences, or just a fact of life that CDMA phones draw more power?